Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Infrastructure Off-Topic Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

You can see the railway bridge in the photo, its about 3km south of the cloghogue roundabout, with another 2.4km to the quays. so reports of 6km are about right.

NIRS should put a toll on that road right now, they'd make a fortune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

nordydan wrote: »
    NIRS should put a toll on that road right now, they'd make a fortune!

This would discourage consumers from the republic shopping in the north. The government is happy enough as is taking VAT from ASDA and the likes.
    KevR wrote: »
    That's amazing! Anyone know where this photo was taken (i.e - how close to Newry) and was there any sort of an incident which made the jam worse? I struggle to comprehend how traffic could be that bad with people going shopping without there being an incident.

Kev the queue is not surprising given that the dual carriageway ends at a roundabout which is currently being upgraded to make matters worse

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

KevR wrote: »
    That's amazing! Anyone know where this photo was taken (i.e - how close to Newry) and was there any sort of an incident which made the jam worse? I struggle to comprehend how traffic could be that bad with people going shopping without there being an incident.

The 'incident' which made the jam worse is southern drivers REFUSAL to 'merge in turn', the standard "I'm not letting that queue hopping bastard in" (when said 'bastard' has been queuing for the same length of time). The dual carraigeway ends with a merge in turn situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I was on the N7 cycling today. i didn't die thank god. Cus if I was, I wouldn't be here now typing this. I planted some bulbs along the N7. Next is some trees.

The N7 was crazy busy today, was there something on down in Limerick. Clare or Kerry at the weekend or something. Crikey. i've never seen such constant traffic on a late wednesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

tech2 wrote: »
    Kev the queue is not surprising given that the dual carriageway ends at a roundabout which is currently being upgraded to make matters worse
    That makes sense. Have never been on that part of the M1 so didn't know.

• Advertisement

I know boards is a good forum for the history that will be created for the Irish motorway network but will a seperate website be created to back up the photos just in case?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This is off topic but as beer is a shared interest :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/8380412.stm
    A controversial Scottish brewery has launched what it described as the world's strongest beer - with a 32% alcohol content.

Tactical Nuclear Penguin has been unveiled by BrewDog of Fraserburgh.
    BrewDog was previously branded irresponsible for an 18.2% beer called Tokyo, which it then followed with a low alcohol beer called Nanny State.
    Managing director James Watt said a limited supply of Tactical Nuclear Penguin would be sold for £30 each.

o.gif

He said: "This beer is about pushing the boundaries, it is about taking innovation in beer to a whole new level."

Mr Watt added that a beer such as Tactical Nuclear Penguin should be drunk in "spirit sized measures".

A warning on the label states: "This is an extremely strong beer; it should be enjoyed in small servings and with an air of aristocratic nonchalance. In exactly the same manner that you would enjoy a fine whisky, a Frank Zappa album or a visit from a friendly yet anxious ghost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The dual carraigeway ends with a merge in turn situation.

As we are always reminded here, people are supposed to drive on the left and only use the right hand lane for overtaking, so why are they queuing in the overtaking lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    This is off topic but as beer is a shared interest :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/8380412.stm

No doubt it will be drunk by all manner of tart and yob (i.e. the majority of our undergraduate population) who have no idea what alcohol is for and what to do with it. The drinking culture in Ireland really disgusts me, have to say (even though the poison highlighted above brewed elsewhere).

ardmacha wrote: »
    As we are always reminded here, people are supposed to drive on the left and only use the right hand lane for overtaking, so why are they queuing in the overtaking lane?

Because they were overtaking when the traffic slowed down for the merge.

Also queuing in both lanes prevents the mainline jamming back as far, preventing it from disrupting other junctions.

There is absolutely and utterly no way refusing to let people merge in from the outer lane in 2->1 situation can be defended; yet it seems to be the Irish way.

• Advertisement

Back from an epic journey from Derry to Cork. Took the A5, N2, N53/A37, M1, M50, N/M7 and N/M8, N25 and N27.

The N53 I found to be terribly aligned, but the road markings were for the most part excellent - however, the road through Northern Ireland is appalling. It's like an L-road. I was quite shocked by it.

Worst of all was the A5 to Derry. This is simply atrocious. It's very bad, as is the N2 in the Republic too, especially around Emyvale, but at least it's well marked and studded through the South. In the north this is not the case, and the journey up through fog and rain on Friday night demanded total concentration. The realigned 2+1 section of N2 through Monaghan was a pleasure to drive.

The M1 was, as usual, a great spin, and I had the pleasure of using the freeflow intersection with the M50 for the first time today, as well as the barrier-free toll. The Red Cow junction was also a nice experience, but the M7 all the way to Monasterevin today was easily at, if not over capacity. The NRA (and the rest of us) will rue the day it did not make the M7 three-lanes in each direction from Portlaoise in 1999.

South on the N8 the road was very busy with constant streams of heavy traffic. I did not get stuck in Abbeyleix this evening, though I did on the northbound journey last Friday evening.

I reached the M8 at dusk, and from beginning to end, it was motoring bliss. It was like a runway. My German girlfriend was very impressed and now feels the Germans should use yellow lines and cats' eyes on all their Autobahns! The M8 was also very busy; there was a constant stream of relatively heavy traffic using it from beginning to end. Certainly it is filling up fast as more and more drivers change their habits and make use of the new route (as I did going from Cork to Derry via the M1 to begin with).

I have to say it was great to see how the interurbans are transforming the Irish motoring experience. For the most part Cork to Dundalk was an absolute pleasure (asides from Abbeyleix and Newlands' Cross). Now if only we could get the Derry road sorted!

RE Derry - it was my first time there and I loved it. I recommend the walking tour of the walls to everyone. It's simply brilliant. There was an Apprentice Boys' parade on and I had a good look, even mingling in the crowd while they burnt an effigy of Lundy. The tour of the Free Derry area of the Bogside was also superb. Badgers pub and restaurant is brilliant for delicious food and drink, and all in all I'll definitely go back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Furet wrote: »
    My German girlfriend was very impressed and now feels the Germans should use yellow lines and cats' eyes on all their Autobahns.

LOL :D

The only mistake you made was going via Dundalk, you should have gone M1 to Dunleer, then Ardee, then N2 north. Other than that you took the very best route available.

Sadly it is via the westlink gouge :( Bing forced to pay tolls is smart and green in the twisted landscape of Irish transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The question is does your German girlfriend know how nerdy you are on this site :D

Also does she have any single friends :D

The question is does your German girlfriend know how nerdy you are on this site :D

Of course... You're not embarrassed about being a roadgeek, Chris, are you?? ;)
    Also does she have any single friends :D

:D--->

People know that I'm interested in roads, but not to the extent that I actually am. :pac:

I usually justify my interest in roads with an appeal to history, geography and archaeology. I describe old roads as mankind's most enduring structures/buildings, and liken roads to old castles and big houses. I say I've an academic interest in them (which is largely true), but I often neglect to mention the fact that I photograph signage and construction sites on a fairly regular basis! Most people think it's a strange interest, but hey, there are many stranger things out there that one could do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

It's like ordering a pizza! :D

Erm, anyway... roads interest is hard to explain, but I usually explain it under the umbrella of being interested in all forms of infrastructure (which to be fair, I am, though roads are definitely my most obsessive interest), which covers it pretty nicely.

I've never tried to explain to people while seeing a picture of new motorway signage feels me with glee though. I wonder how that would turn out.

I justify mine down to being a van driver (of sorts - field engineer), "I have to use them!"

It's a hobby as such really. Originally I found it interesting coming on boards.ie and having a look at the M8, M6 and M9 progress before the M18 started construction from Gort to Crusheen I decided to upload what I had seen.

Any predictions on the budget for infrastructure 2010 on Wednesday?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

actually now that you mention it tech2,

what do we think, will the Govmnt axe MN or the Interconnector or give them a defo go ahead??

I really hope they do. besides from being badly needed they would provide many needed jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭rameire

well as a start here is a list of the Works in Progress under Transport 21.

Works in Progress
    •Phase 1 of the Western Rail Corridor from Ennis to Athenry.
    •Kildare Rail Project
    •Navan Rail Line Phase 1 (Dunboyne Commuter Rail)
    •Continued roll-out of 183 intercity railcars
    •Railway Safety Programme
    •Cherrywood Luas extension
    •Docklands Luas extension
    •Citywest Luas extension
    •Delivery of 200 new buses for Dublin Bus
    •Delivery of 239 new buses to Bus Eireann
    •M3 Clonee to North of Kells
    •N6 Galway to Ballinasloe
    •N7 Limerick Tunnel
    •N7 Nenagh to Limerick
    •N7 Castletown to Nenagh
    •N8/N7 Portlaoise to Cullahill/Castletown
    •N9 Kilcullen to Carlow
    •N9 Carlow to Knocktopher
    •N9 Knocktopher to Waterford
    •N18 Gort to Crusheen
    •M50 Upgrade Phase 2

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

dannym08 wrote: »
    actually now that you mention it tech2,

what do we think, will the Govmnt axe MN or the Interconnector or give them a defo go ahead??

I really hope they do. besides from being badly needed they would provide many needed jobs

Nope.

They're going to dodge the issue with this budget as they did with last one. Give them just about enough money to keep the planning process ticking over, but won't give any a definitive go-ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

rameire wrote: »
    well as a start here is a list of the Works in Progress under Transport 21.

Works in Progress
    •Phase 1 of the Western Rail Corridor from Ennis to Athenry.
    •Kildare Rail Project
    •Navan Rail Line Phase 1 (Dunboyne Commuter Rail)
    •Continued roll-out of 183 intercity railcars
    •Railway Safety Programme
    •Cherrywood Luas extension
    •Docklands Luas extension
    •Citywest Luas extension
    •Delivery of 200 new buses for Dublin Bus
    •Delivery of 239 new buses to Bus Eireann
    •M3 Clonee to North of Kells
    •N6 Galway to Ballinasloe
    •N7 Limerick Tunnel
    •N7 Nenagh to Limerick
    •N7 Castletown to Nenagh
    •N8/N7 Portlaoise to Cullahill/Castletown
    •N9 Kilcullen to Carlow
    •N9 Carlow to Knocktopher
    •N9 Knocktopher to Waterford
    •N18 Gort to Crusheen
    •M50 Upgrade Phase 2

Heres a list of the stuff scheduled and definitely starting.

Carbon tax:

Is it really a tax on pollution or is it a tax on most people's existence?

*sigh*

Does anyone else share my pathological aversion to wrapping paper? Could never figure out how to wrap things neatly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Does anyone else share my pathological aversion to wrapping paper? Could never figure out how to wrap things neatly.

such a nice way of putting it. And yes, there is always a spot left unwrapped. I usually end up just sellotaping a square bit if paper over the hole

I'm rubbish at wrapping as well.

I usually end up trying to patch over mistakes, which usually results in an even worse mess. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

apropos of nothing...

came across this yesterday - a photo of the Toronto skyline, looking NE from the islands, plus a render-in of the buildings already built, in construction and planned between 2004 - 2014.

http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=10957

Pretty much every building in this render (smaller ones were omitted) is bigger than the Spire.

Happy Christmas to all my fellow infrastructure enthusiasts!

In the M6 thread I did say that I'd be driving on it again and would get some photos... I was in England for a couple of days and my flight home was cancelled. Was stuck there for a couple of extra days and ended up getting the ferry home - nightmare! I didn't get a chance to drive the M6 since as a result (although was on it twice on the bus), but hopefully I will soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

no worries kevr. Happy Christmas! That goes for the rest of you boardsies too!

Advertisement