Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Infrastructure Off-Topic Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

God I hate those two, but that was kinda funny alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Is it just me or has the forum just been a little busier lately? Maybe I've just been spending more time online.

At any rate, wish ye all a good St. Patrick's Day.

As for the whole devilry thing. Are people born naturally evil, or well, naturally inclined to be evil? That's a tough question.

I think some people have it "in" them to be more evil than others, but I still reckon upbringing is 90% of it.

Interesting question. And I have no answer.

But the one character that has always fascinated me is Adolf Hitler.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-1989-0322-506,_Adolf_Hitler,_Kinderbild.jpg

That's him when he was a baby. I've just read this book by one of the top historians of Weimar and Nazi Germany. There is no doubt that Hitler was utterly evil; yet, for much of his life before 1919 at any rate, there was no real indication that he was evil - just highly temperamental and obsessive about, among other things, architecture, the opera and his health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

What is the new Ordance survey map like? I looked in a shop today and couldn't find any. The Dublin 7th edition is out of date! not impressed.:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Furet wrote: »
    There is no doubt that Hitler was utterly evil; yet, for much of his life before 1919 at any rate, there was no real indication that he was evil - just highly temperamental and obsessive about, among other things, architecture, the opera and his health.

And roads...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Is it just me or has the forum just been a little busier lately? Maybe I've just been spending more time online

I agree the forum has attracted more users lately, some of it due to scheme openings soon and new regular posters. At the minute theres 21 members and 31 guests! not what we see usually.

tech2 wrote: »
    I agree the forum has attracted more users lately, some of it due to scheme openings soon and new regular posters. At the minute theres 21 members and 31 guests! not what we see usually.

Well I'm absolutely delighted to see more people visiting the forum, and hopefully they'll be sticking around.

Still fairly roads-heavy, but there's definitely been some broadening of the range of topics lately, hopefully that can continue. The rail discussion in particular has been picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Whatever happened to the Ranting and Raving Forum?? :confused:

It has completely vanished (or else it's not where it used to be).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's now a private forum. You have to PM the moderator to get an invite I think.

I see Google have done an update on their maps :rolleyes:

M6 is now on it as far as Athlone. The M6 from Athlone to Galway is there too but is labelled N6.

There are 2 N18s going off in 2 seperate directions at Oranmore. One of them is correct while the other is the old N6 DC to Doughiska (which is now the R446).

What should be the R446 Oranmore-Athlone is now the R338 according to Google.

Very poor!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Link seems to be wrong...
    KevR wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the Ranting and Raving Forum?? :confused:

It has completely vanished (or else it's not where it used to be).
    Oh wait... there really was one? Thought you were joking!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

When did Furet become a mod again?

etchyed wrote: »
    When did Furet become a mod again?

Just a few days ago.

Forum was taking a bit more traffic than usual, I might be busy over the next month or two and he wanted to come back to do it, and I think we can all agree he is a fantastic contributor and the very reason that this forum has even nearly the number of posts and discussions it does.

We just didn't want to make a big fanfare about it.

Of course, I should say, this in no way discredits the contribution of the other moderator here, Tech2, who also contributes immensely here. Both of them have done far more for this place than I have lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Just a few days ago.

Forum was taking a bit more traffic than usual, I might be busy over the next month or two and he wanted to come back to do it, and I think we can all agree he is a fantastic contributor and the very reason that this forum has even nearly the number of posts and discussions it does.
    Agreed on that, good to see him back and sorry for drawing attention to it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

No, I mean it works, but there's nothing about motorways at 14:20. Is that the right time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

I was back in Ireland for a few days over Easter and hired a car for a day. Was heading up for Clonmacnoise with my girlfriend when we decided to stop off for a bit at Mitchelstown Cave to take the tour. Quite impressive! Anyone here ever been there before?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Havent been there. Furet, how is your idea getting on in Your Country Your Call?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This volcano is screwing up my weekend. Event I was meant to go to tomorrow night = performers can't travel. Marvellous.

• Advertisement

Roryhy wrote: »
    Havent been there. Furet, how is your idea getting on in Your Country Your Call?

No idea! I haven't checked it in many weeks. I think it's a bit of a joke of a site, to be honest - well, it was last time I checked, anyway!
    MYOB wrote: »
    This volcano is screwing up my weekend. Event I was meant to go to tomorrow night = performers can't travel. Marvellous.

The worrying thing is that so much of the trappings and conveniences of the world we live in today can be taken from us or be severely damaged in an instant. Planes have only flown commercially in considerable numbers since the 50s. When the planet eventually experiences a much more serious eruption, and it will, you'd have to wonder how society will cope.

This is a major hassle for so many people - I know four people whose plans have been scuppered because of it. As long as the ash shifts by the 13 May I won't be personally affected (at least not in any way that I can presently anticipate), but again, it shows how easily the things we take for granted can be shut down by things totally beyond our control. I first heard of this eruption just as I arrived at the train station in Wuerzburg. There were images on the TV screens, but no sounds and I wondered for a split second if it was the Yellowstone Caldera!

Don't even want to contemplate it but I will actually cry like a school girl bitch if my trip to New York after my final ever exams gets affected by this volcano or anything else.

Not going until June but there's no gaurentee that the volcano will stop erupting anytime soon..

KevR wrote: »

Not going until June but there's no gaurentee that the volcano will stop erupting anytime soon..

Shut up or I'll ban you! Such talk is strictly verboten. ;)

Seriously though I'm flying on 13 May and I'd be the same as you if that gets cancelled.

I'm flying on May 1st and 3rd :S

I could do it sailrail if need be, but... effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

MYOB wrote: »
    I'm flying on May 1st and 3rd :S

I could do it sailrail if need be, but... effort.

I'm flying to Newcastle on May the 7th hopefully Irish and UK airspace will be open around that time.

Really starting to worry about going to NY now - Sky News are saying that the ash cloud could reach the East coast of America by 6pm today.

Ash cloud for today

They were saying on the news yesterday that when there was a major eruption some years back that it lowered world temperatures by 0.5 degrees celcius.

The unusual winds are blowing the ash down to Ireland and Europe. Wouldn't it be great if the winds changed so that the ash got blown up to the North Pole? That way temperatures up there would be lower, the ice caps would stop melting and we could continue on burning fossil fuels* without having to worry about the ice caps melting and loads of places getting flooded from rising sea levels. :pac:

*until we run out!

I heard that fool Carol Coleman was interviewing an Icelandic scientist the other day and apparently asked him, in all seriousness, why the Icelanders didn't try to cool the volcano down with water, and if Iceland would consider paying compensation to affected nations. If true, she should be fired for rank stupidity.

My old man was listening to 4FM the other day and some woman texted in saying "we can send men to the moon, you'd imagine we could vent a volcano". The presenters were howling with laughter as they read out the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

some woman texted in saying "we can send men to the moon, you'd imagine we could vent a volcano".

I suppose offering a virgin bimbo to the volcano gods is out of the question?

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    I suppose offering a virgin bimbo to the volcano gods is out of the question?

You need to be about 45 to text 4FM, she's neither a virgin or a bimbo at that age I'd presume!

Advertisement