Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clueless - Which GPS??

Options
  • 15-10-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping for a bit of help with buying a GPS please.

I am totally clueless as to what to look for and all I know about them is that I borrowed my sis-in-laws Sat Nav and it wanted to send me on some ridiculous back roads heading for Dublin so want to avoid buying one that will do that if possible (eg outside Williamstown it wanted to send me up a 'tiny' road off the main road for maybe half a mile and then join onto the same main road I was on again just to cut out a bit of a 'curve' ...:rolleyes:). I also want it to brave driving in Dublin and other cities like Limerick etc etc. I also want to be able to find country addresses if possible:o
    And one last one - when we go on holidays I want to be able to load on maps for wherever we go .... Am not fussy am I :rolleyes::o

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Your problem with the silly route was selecting the shortest route, not the fastest, not the Sat Navs fault. They can all be set with different route profiles, mine even has a scenic setting! You should also preview the route to check it's taking you where you want and not somewhere stupid.

Lots of stories in UK papers of lorries getting stuck in narrow lanes and people driving on to railway lines through blindly following misunderstood instructions, one guy recently got fined £900 for almost driving off a cliff up a bridleway.

If you look through some of the other posts you'll see Garmin Nuvi units seem to come out better here, their mapping is better for Ireland than Tomtom units. Most units will have maps for the whole of Europe if you pay a bit extra. They are all simple to use once you find your way round the software and realise they aren't that intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Thanks a million Sean!
    I didn't touch the settings as it was my sis-in-laws and I'm also a bit of a technophobe too :o

A couple more qestions if you don't mind ... I'm assuming that I can buy a Garmin and then add on maps for different countries at a later date?
    Would it also be possible to add USA maps too??
    Any preference for one Nuvi over another??? I don't need the bells and whistles of an MP3 built in etc etc - just need it to get me from A to B :) ... Oh, and any recs where the best deals are to be had would be great too!?

Thanks for your help!

I don't use Garmin myself, being a bit of a gadget geek I use a PDA with Copilot 8 and topo mapping on a Toughbook :D. If the PDA dies I'll probably go Garmin.

A basic one will probably do you, you probably won't be wanting live traffic reports and the like, but a larger screen makes them easier to use. The least mapping you can have is UK/Ireland and then buy more maps later inc USA. Have a good look at the Garmin site. Hard for me to give advice as to which one, I usually buy online after a few beers and spend far more than I meant too! :o

Most electronic retailers like www.komplett.ie sell them but it's worth checking UK sites as well, Amazon deliver electronics to Ireland now. There are several pure GPS sellers as well, try some of the advertising links off www.pocketgps.co.uk (also a good site for advice and the best speed camera database)

I forgot to say, still carry a paper map! You can't gaurantee the GPS will always work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

101sean wrote: »
    I don't use Garmin myself, being a bit of a gadget geek I use a PDA with Copilot 8 and topo mapping on a Toughbook :D. If the PDA dies I'll probably go Garmin.

A basic one will probably do you, you probably won't be wanting live traffic reports and the like, but a larger screen makes them easier to use. The least mapping you can have is UK/Ireland and then buy more maps later inc USA. Have a good look at the Garmin site. Hard for me to give advice as to which one, I usually buy online after a few beers and spend far more than I meant too! :o

Most electronic retailers like www.komplett.ie sell them but it's worth checking UK sites as well, Amazon deliver electronics to Ireland now. There are several pure GPS sellers as well, try some of the advertising links off www.pocketgps.co.uk (also a good site for advice and the best speed camera database)

Sorry Sean, I got a bit sidetracked and didn't get back to this post.
    Thanks a mill for the advice. I have a sis-in-law in the UK too so could get anything posted to her there if I can't get it delivered here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement