Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Mice

Options
  • 15-10-2009 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I got 2 white mice from a pet shop last week(both males). They are sooo cute and so much fun I was told there was no difference in keeping males or felmales but I have since found out that it is not wise to keep 2 males together as they fight!! My two have had a few spats, nothing major but Im worried as they get older they may get worse. Also found out that males smell a lot more then females have had to clean their cage 3 times during the last week. I really really dont want to take them back to the pet shop and they are not ment to be housed alone :( I dont know what to do! I would be greatful for any suggestions from anyone who has experience with mice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

With no females in the house they should be fine - most rodents will have spats from time to time - females are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

You can reduce the number of spats they have by giving them at least two separate houses/bed areas and making sure they have lots of toys. Mouse wee and plastic seems to smell particularly bad so try to keep the plastic in their cage to a minimum. Obviously the bigger a cage/tank you get the better.

Mousies love things like branches (apple, willow etc) and will wow you with their climbing skills as well as using them to keep their teeth trim. A bedding like Carefresh will help reduce the smell as will adding a little bit of dust free cat litter into whatever bedding you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae

The same thing happened to me, sort of.

I was given two gorgeous brown mice for my 21st back in July and after they had grown a bit, realised they were a male and female. So I headed out to the pet shop in Dun Laoghaire and got two female mice so I could seperate the male and female and would have some company for the female.

Except.. Both new mice were male (Yay for people in pet shops knowing how to sex rodents). They were brothers and seemed grand at first, but they obviously could smell the female from across the room and fights ensued.

I now have 2 males housed seperately and the male and female still together. No babies yet, let's hope it stays like that, but the stress of having to keep 3 seperate lots of mice. =/

Advertisement