Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

douglas adams

Options
  • 15-10-2009 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

gonna start with hitchhikers.....dawkins was a fan of his....i love dawkin's crystal clear writing and his mind fascinates me so perhaps i might enjoy douglas adams..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 connor2nz

Arthur Dent was based on Richard Dawkins: showing up at a party dressed as Charles Darwin is how he met his wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

The first four Hitchikers books were utter genius, but the fifth is best avoided.
    Has anyone ever read any of his other books? Dirk Gently, Salmon of Doubt etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Read the two Dirk Gently books, good stuff too, blundering detective stories with magical twists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Anybody read the sixth Hitchhikers book recently released?
    I haven't really been hearing good things about it, so I unsure if its worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I read some of Douglas Adams books years ago, when I was a teen, and a young man in college.

I enjoyed them, especially the Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul.

However, rereading one of the Dirk Gently novels last year (and listening to one of the radio serials) I was pretty disappointed. In my head I had built the books up to such a high level and the books completely failed to reach it.

It makes me think a lot of college humour, the type that's a bit off kilter, wacky in a permissable way, self congratulatory (but not really that) clever, and smug.

I'm afraid to pick up the Hitchikers guide, less it also falls.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Cactus Col wrote: »
    I'm afraid to pick up the Hitchikers guide, less it also falls.
    It will not fail!

Advertisement