Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to become a train driver?

• 15-10-2009 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

I have always been interested in becoming a train driver for Irishrail.
    Im just wondering how one goes about it? I've heard that its a system where you have to work in a station for a few years selling tickets and then apply for the train driving course and whatnot.

Many thanks to anyone who replies:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You need to have a one track mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ElectroJazz

Get your coat ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,017 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

......and lots of train-ing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Jammyc wrote: »
    I have always been interested in becoming a train driver for Irishrail.
    Im just wondering how one goes about it? I've heard that its a system where you have to work in a station for a few years selling tickets and then apply for the train driving course and whatnot.

Many thanks to anyone who replies:D

Yup your on the right track!:) that's pretty much how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

I suppose you could try rail-roading your way in! However, you would need some practical & technical training.

Here's some information I've tracked down from the Career Directions Website

Entry to Iarnrod Eireann is at both school leaver and graduate level. Vacancies are advertised in the press for different posts.

Trainees are initially recruited as railway operatives and work their way up through the company's internal promotion system to become locomotive drivers.

They must undergo psychological and aptitude testing, as well as an interview and a comprehensive medical and eye vision examination.

Practical and Technical Training
    Training includes Rules and Regulations, Diesel Engine Theory, Locomotive Operation and Locomotive Fault Finding. A Driver must also have detailed knowledge of the route in which he is going to operate.

Irish Rail say:

Although we are currently not recruiting at this particular time, if you would like to submit your CV we will be happy to hold it on file in the event of new opportunities arising in the future.
    Please e-mail your CV to: careers@irishrail.ie

That should set you on the right track!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

public service moratorium on recruitment?? There wont be any hiring at CIE for a while

Advertisement