Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bad day for Castlebar and Ballina

Options
  • 16-10-2009 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Caseys garages closing. What a disaster for Castlebar and Ballina and over 70 people losing their jobs. As if things are not bad enough in the West at the moment. Very sad for those people and their families.

Comments

Jaysus, when did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

The one in Ballina was closed down on Tuesday morning I believe!!!
    Not that I know much about buying a car from Northern Ireland and registering it down south (I live in Belfast)...but apparently there can be big savings made depending on the model in question, age of car and miles on the clock!!!
    Why would you buy in the south so???
    Obviously the Irish government have to do something about the car industry in the Republic!!! Don't hold your breath though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

the Caseys are decent people and this is a sad event for them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Paul4As wrote: »
    The one in Ballina was closed down on Tuesday morning I believe!!!
    Not that I know much about buying a car from Northern Ireland and registering it down south (I live in Belfast)...but apparently there can be big savings made depending on the model in question, age of car and miles on the clock!!!
    Why would you buy in the south so???
    Obviously the Irish government have to do something about the car industry in the Republic!!! Don't hold your breath though!!!

You can blame the manufacturers for this one not the government. The likes of Ford and VW forced the like of Caseys and Tim Hastings into ultra modern facilities with the threat of revoking their dealer ship if they didn't do it.
    Robinsons in Claremorris stood strong and lost their Renault dealership.
    So am afraid the Government can't have done much about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Ah thats shocking:( very sad times in mayo:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

It is terrible as some of those people have worked for the family run business for over 30 years. But its like yop says these businesses being forced by their dealers to put up these glass monstrosities which to me are totally out of place and which must cost a fortune to maintain. Its crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

Its weird to pass the Garages even today and it looks like they never even existed!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

And the way things are going they may not be the last unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

steph1 wrote: »
    Caseys garages closing. What a disaster for Castlebar and Ballina and over 70 people losing their jobs. As if things are not bad enough in the West at the moment. Very sad for those people and their families.

I went to caseys once to buy a car. They looked down on me when they saw whated I wanted to trade in. They were a rip off. At the end of the day its Karma, What you gave you get back. (sorry of the employees)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Agree with previous poster. Had a bad experience with them, found their sales staff arrogant and when times were good, they almost spat on your trade in. Hate to see jobs being lost but garages really did treat a lot of people like muck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

dec25532 wrote: »
    Agree with previous poster. Had a bad experience with them, found their sales staff arrogant and when times were good, they almost spat on your trade in. Hate to see jobs being lost but garages really did treat a lot of people like muck.

I have dealt with their sales guys, service department, body shop and rentals departments and the sales guys really didn't help themselves.

The other departments I couldn't have praised hightly enough and were very helpful.

The sales guys though were a wee bit too arrogant and I couldn't get any satisfaction out of them.

But its all history now.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Had limited dealings, but the Casey's were sound and down to earth people.

Never dealt with the sales people, but dealt with the rental people a bunch of times....not the most efficient.....but were very easy to work with.

It was great for us Yanks, Caseys had a guy who'd pick you up at the door in Shannon and you'd drop him back at his petrol station in Newmarket and go on your way. Then on the way back to Shannon, you'd drop your car off there, and he'd leave you back at the door of the airport.

If anything happened to your rental you could shoot down the Turlough Rd and they'd give you another, no questions asked

I think I stuck them with a parking ticket once----innocent times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Very sad news. Sign of the times :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 The Journo

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Very sad news. Sign of the times :(

It sure is, but I feel that we got to start thinking in a differant way and try to clean up this mess that we find ourselves in.Lets put pressure on our elected representatives.Put the ball in thier court.
    http://ballinanews.blogspot.com/2009/10/out-of-ashes.html.

Start at the bottom and work up.Get them working see what the reply will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Sad day for the employees and in the current environment its going to be very tough for them but I am sure those at the very top will be insulated from the sh*t as it strikes the fan .Unlike the employees and creditors .
    Agree totally on the sales people , once went in with €6k cask and was sneered out of the showroom .
    Apart from the obvious economic issues we have ,most of these people in retail need to get back to basic's and learn how to sell , they haven't had to do it in years .

Lobbying or elected rep's is mostly futile as the are too far removed from the day to day reality that is ression Ireland that they are immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Yes, ya dark day. A dark, dark day. Absolutely cúntish! Oh god.

jenno86 wrote: »
    Yes, ya dark day. A dark, dark day. Absolutely cúntish! Oh god.

I sense sarcasm there :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

The workers hadn't a clue....they turned up for work in Ballina to find the place completely emptied out and no-one around to tell them what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Jimmyboss wrote: »
    The workers hadn't a clue....they turned up for work in Ballina to find the place completely emptied out and no-one around to tell them what was going on.

That is just typical of Casey's, their attitude, their arrogance. They treated their staff like they treated their customers . . . with absolute contempt. I hate people losing their jobs but when it comes to the motor industry, there won't be a lot of sympathy in some corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Richiecats

Just have to get a cheep flight to England, pick up a cheep car and drive back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

If you saw the state of the place now it would make you wonder where this recession will bring us all to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

unit 1 wrote: »
    If you saw the state of the place now it would make you wonder where this recession will bring us all to.

A few weeds have grown and the windows haven't been cleaned - what relevance does that have to the recession? Caseys have actually started trading again both in Castlebar and Ballina in different units to what they were in. I don't see why you need to drag up a thread that's months old in order to be negative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

steph1 wrote: »

I see they have reopened (well a Caseys on the same site)

A few weeds have grown and the windows haven't been cleaned - what relevance does that have to the recession? Caseys have actually started trading again both in Castlebar and Ballina in different units to what they were in. I don't see why you need to drag up a thread that's months old in order to be negative

I think you'll find theres a lot more than weeds in it at the moment.
    A fine facility that once actually employed about 950 people, now seems to be a "temporary" halting site. Where in earth are the new custodians of this property and why was'nt it secured properly from the outset
    When it closed it was a bad day for castlebar and all those who worked there and it's current state is surely a further decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Well maybe they'd have stayed going, if the sales reps had treated people kindly instead of sniggering at people trying to trade 6 year old cars. I've heard lots of stories since they went wallop, none of them nice, nobodies got a good word to say about them or the way they did business.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Well maybe they'd have stayed going, if the sales reps had treated people kindly instead of sniggering at people trying to trade 6 year old cars. I've heard lots of stories since they went wallop, none of them nice, nobodies got a good word to say about them or the way they did business.

I too have heard such stories but my sympathies lie with the staff, and certainly not with the present occupiers.

Advertisement