Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone built a kennel?

Options
  • 16-10-2009 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Right,"herself" has decided we're getting another dog and we've been discussing the finances. Dire would be the best word for them. We're toying with building a kennel. We've been on a few sites,got some rough ideas,even sourced some free wood. Have any Boardsies tried this? If so any tips on roofing (was gonna right woofing,haha,the joys of insomnia),insulation and generally anything else involved would be welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Dire finances.
    Not being funny but why why why would you consider getting another pet if your financial situation is that bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

Dire compared to what we were used to. We can afford it,but any savings we can make without the dog suffering is a plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jimmyn

Gave that some thought recently. My Golden ate the floor out of his somewhat flimsy commercial kennel. I managed to make a new floor to get it usable again, but I'll probably have to replace the kennel at some point soon.

I really like the idea of this:
    http://www.ronhazelton.com/archives/howto/doghouse_construction.shtm

It's got a cosy interior room for when the weather gets really bad, it's sturdy and it's insulated, and the hinged roof makes it very easy to clean.

Some softwood and a few sheets of exterior plywood, and there you have it. Should be relatively cheap and easy to build, if you've got some tools. Cutting the plywood sheets would be the hardest bit, and you can probably get that cut to the required dimensions at the wood store.

For the roof, you could use shingles, but ordinary roofing felt (like for garden sheds) would most likely be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You can get roofing felt from woodies, i got a roll the other day as some of the felt on my dogs kennel needs to be replaced, i got a 5m roll for 10.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Should be easy enough to get off cuts even try the hardware shops, roofing offcuts should be easy to get too and someone that perhaps has just finished building their house might have spare roof tiles or other bits.

If finances are tight then definately make sure you can afford pet insurance that way you can afford to have the dog treated should they become ill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Right,"herself" has decided we're getting another dog and we've been discussing the finances. Dire would be the best word for them. We're toying with building a kennel. We've been on a few sites,got some rough ideas,even sourced some free wood. Have any Boardsies tried this? If so any tips on roofing (was gonna right woofing,haha,the joys of insomnia),insulation and generally anything else involved would be welcomed.

My boyfriend built our new rottie pup her very own kennel as we already have 2 smaller dogs which use a dog flap to get into the shed to sleep and the pup will only fit through that for so long;) He went into a local industrial estate and got some left over wood, pallets and such and used them to make the kennel, his brother got him felt out of his job for the roof and I varnished it with outdoor varnish left over from painting the fence in the summer. Cost for all of this €0!!!:D
    Here is a pic of Brook sitting on the porch of her new home, not a great pic of the kennel, the only one I have but you get the idea!!

Brook Guarding her Kennel 08.10.09.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

hey. a couple of years ago i build a kennel for my dog out of short planks of wood i got for nothing. few nails and a hammer. sorted. its jus like making a box but leave one side free for the dog ta run into. ha ha :D

Meant to say sometimes freecycle and other places like that have kennels going for free as long as you can pick them up.

lrushe wrote: »
    My boyfriend built our new rottie pup her very own kennel as we already have 2 smaller dogs which use a dog flap to get into the shed to sleep and the pup will only fit through that for so long;) He went into a local industrial estate and got some left over wood, pallets and such and used them to make the kennel, his brother got him felt out of his job for the roof and I varnished it with outdoor varnish left over from painting the fence in the summer. Cost for all of this €0!!!:D
    Here is a pic of Brook sitting on the porch of her new home, not a great pic of the kennel, the only one I have but you get the idea!!

Brook Guarding her Kennel 08.10.09.JPG

Gorgeous piccy she's a dote

Any suggestions for the material for a dog flap? Was thinking of rubber matting but would prefer something somewhat see-through. Perspex would probably be a bit rigid and difficult to attach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

When my boyfriend bought me my boxer puppy Bailey, he made me a kennel for her when she was old enough to sleep outside.

I can't remember the name of the wood he used but it wasn't expensive I know that. There is a corrigated(sp?) iron roof on it with felt underneath. Bailey has since torn down half the flet stuff!!

I've attached a pic.... I can ask him how much the materials cost and P.M you later if you want. I'm nearly sure it was only about €70 or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Any suggestions for the material for a dog flap? Was thinking of rubber matting but would prefer something somewhat see-through. Perspex would probably be a bit rigid and difficult to attach.

If theres a farm shop anywhere near you, ask for the see through plastic they use in cow sheds. It hangs down in strips so that cows can go in and out, but it stops flies. I'm sorry, but I don't know what its called. I got it for my kennels and its brilliant, its fairly heavy duty so doesn't get blown around in the wind too much, and keeps the rain out really well. I overlapped two pieces, so there is a gap for them to push through in the middle.

I attached mine by drilling holes at the top of it and drilling through the kennel, big washers and it works great.

Guys and girls,thanks very much for all your suggestions,very helpful and more then enough for us to get started. We'll post pictures whenever we get it sorted,may be a while before we have it done tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Guys and girls,thanks very much for all your suggestions,very helpful and more then enough for us to get started. We'll post pictures whenever we get it sorted,may be a while before we have it done tho.

I'd recommend using a complete pallet as a base. You want to leave a gap under the kennel to insulate it from the ground, & prevent the possibility of water running in.

Pallets are a good base to build off & are easy to get hold of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

I've built two,

first one was from recylced materials, ie i stripped down pallets that o got from a building site (with permission) the materials filled my mondeo.

second one was built with "bought" materials, external board for the floor and roof, tongue and groove floor boards for the walls.

but by far the easiest/cheapest - 6 foot by 4 foot shed i got from BandQ for €126 - big enough for a German Shep and her six pups and me ;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Hi. Could you tell me which b and q you bought the kennel in? Any pics please or could you provide an online link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

in fact i have been emailed a BandQ voucher for 15% off https://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/storevouchers/register.jsp?rid=MTg%3D&ecamp=eml-teq-003 valid between 12th to 16th Nov - now it is a UK one, but it should work here, at least it would be worth a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I built one for our 2 Yorkies about a year & a half ago. I had a thread in the DIY forum about it. I'm fairly handy but by no means a master craftsman!

Anyway, here's the thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055290436

There are tips & advice from other DIY-ers through the thread, and my last 2 or 3 posts have progress pictures of the build.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dmy1001

hi
    we have built several kennels and the one bit of advice i would give is to put a veranda type structure on the front. it gives excellent protection form the wind and rain and our dogs love it in the summer.
    we used ship lap on the sides and plywood and roofing felt for the roof and so far so good- 3 yrs later!

• Advertisement
Advertisement