Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Merchandise

Options
  • 16-10-2009 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

The secondhand thread got me thinking about alternative revenue streams for developers other than the cash at till model.

So, who has bought studio-licensed games merchandise?

I've a WoW mousepad, largely because I needed one and they had them rather than any fanboi urge. Couple of t-shirts, Hitman, WoW Hunter and some retro one's that I don't think are studio-licensed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I usually don't buy any extra games merchandise - shipping is usually extortionate. In saying that I just got 2 Castle Crashers T-Shirts because it happened to be a game that captured my imagination just before I jetted off to the States (and happened to have someone that I could get them delivered to and then pick them up!).

Nothing otherwise though...

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

I have a couple of Red vs Blue tshirts.. and there's a few neat Modern Warfare 2 accessories coming I quite fancy like the mouse, and the usb keypad...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Headcrabhat01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I was fairly tempted to get an Arpeture science coffee mug when portal came out, might grab one now actually...
    Quite like the look of this as well;
    http://store.valvesoftware.com/tf2/tf2-tee.spy-mens02.html

Slightly OT, but can anyone recommend a website for buying game posters?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I've got

- The portal logo t-shirt and the GLADoS hoodie because this fanboy's worth it (and they were all out of the companion cubes *feels dirty*)!
    - A Gears 2 t-shirt because the pretty girl who was working on the gears 2 midnight launch asked me if I wanted one and I just couldn't saw no to that smile.
    - The Far Cry 2 t-shirt that came with that awful game (great special edition extras though)
    - The prestige edition of MW2 ordered, like a fool

For everything else, I shop at www.splitreason.com where I get a lot of my t-shirts. As I come to you with this post, I'm currently wearing this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Got the Collectors edition of Batman AA. Comes with a mounted Batarang. Pretty cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have my Pure Pwnage 'i pwn noobs' T-shirt on at the moment. Also have FPS Dougs counterstrike headshot t-shirt. Get quite a few random compliments with that one.

Also have a zelda one and a pacman one which is a bit too nerdy so use that as my hang over tshirt.

I also have a great white t-shirt with all of the super mario world characters on it that a friend got for my birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I've bought :

- SFIV Fightstick
    - Street Fighter figures (All lost now)
    - 6 Halo figures
    - Couple of halo posters (stole one off a bus!)
    - Warcraft board game
    And various collector's editions of games.

It seems like a lot but I don't really go out of my way to buy these. I generally buy one or get one free somehow and then I'll want to collect the set. Like the halo figures, I blagged a Master Chief figure off a guy in HMV when they were giving them away with 360s. Then a fried got me an elite while he was in america and after that I had to get the rest of the covenant.

I think the official merch is a great way for devs to make a little extra money. However it's only good if it's fairly accessible and well-made. The only issue I see, is that the companies you make the money from this type of stuff are the ones who don't really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I have a Devil May Cry 4 t-shirt and the collectors edition of the game. I also have Gears of war 2 artbook. And a Sonic the Hedgehog t-shirt too if that counts. Thats about it really, I'll only buy game merch if I like it, just like if I go out and buy a t-shirt in a shop. I don't go out of my way to get merch.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Oh, yeah have a sf4 stick as well, just the LE one, but I like it and it does the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Batman AA CE - Batarang

Figures

Bioshock - Big Daddy (came with Game CE)
    Lara Croft
    God of War
    Alone in the Dark - Edward Carnby (came with Game CE)
    Raving Rabbids
    AvP
    Super Monkey Ball
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Loads of Super Mario figures, badges and keyrings
    Loads of Halo figures
    Miniature SF SNES controller sets, open up and have a SF scene with mini figures, bit like micro machines

Loads of various t-shirts too

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i have every lithograph that was put up in the valve store. they still in their tubes i must get them framed soon lol.

Advertisement