Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Underwater housing for Canon 450d

• 16-10-2009 8:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭

I've been searching for a while now for an underwater housing for my 450d. I've come across some that are €800 upwards, and this is way out of my price range. The cheapest I have found is this Aquapac, for £80:
    http://www.aquapac.net/ukstore/waterproof-slr-case-br-code-455-1411-0.html

Does anybody have any experience with these? Are Aquapac a reputable company?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Adiboo wrote: »
    I've been searching for a while now for an underwater housing for my 450d. I've come across some that are €800 upwards, and this is way out of my price range. The cheapest I have found is this Aquapac, for £80:
    http://www.aquapac.net/ukstore/waterproof-slr-case-br-code-455-1411-0.html

Does anybody have any experience with these? Are Aquapac a reputable company?

I have used aquapac for housing radio's before but not cameras - I think they are more in the order of water resistant as opposed to water proof.

It's a case of you get what you pay for so if you are serious about keeping your camera dry then I'd stay away from the cheaper options - save your money and get the correct equipment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

I posted a similar thread a few months ago, looking for an underwater housing for a D300. What I went with in the end was an EWA Marine Housing http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/ewa_marine/slr/housings.html .

I'm just back from a sailing trip to Sicily, and did go swimming with the camera. Worked perfectly, not a bother.
    I also managed to capsize while out kayaking a while back, and that housing saved my camera's life.

So even if this isn't exactly cheap (240 euros, iirc), it's still cheaper than a rigid housing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

jaypers looks a bit bulky.

does it help the camera float if it fell into water|>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

Martron wrote: »
    does it help the camera float if it fell into water|>

it does, actually...
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

have you tried googling the actual canon model number. you can get some pretty good deals from the states. i looked for a powershot s3 and the prices were so much lower across the atlantic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I have the Aquapac. While their products are extremely good on the waterproof side I have some issues with the DSLR casing because it's difficult to manipulate a zoom lens in it.

The EWA casing I have never used.

Higher end waterproof casings for DSLRs are generally expensive and the really good ones are generally custom built. As the dollar is dropping at the moment you might do better now than you usually do. I specced one for my last 40D (never got built obviously) and the price came in at 1800E. I would seriously consider it except the cameras are upgraded so often and I'm not generally swimming with them I wonder about the worth. You can probably get a semi reasonable one for around 1200 dollars however depending on the lenses you need to cater for.

Advertisement