Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 years, g'bye

Options
  • 16-10-2009 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

Well, apparently I signed up to boards 2 years ago today. What a couple of years. I didn't bother with the whole 10k posts huzzah thing, so I'm doing this instead.

Where to frigging begin.

My first post on this site was in response to DeVore in the stand-up comedy forum where he said he would love to give stand-up a shot. I suggested a boards comedy night (not realising that the person I was responding to owns the place). I found boards through looking for places to discuss Irish stand-up thanks to google. A year later I was modding the stand-up forum and organised the first boards comedy night, where DeV did his first ever gig. Funny how things work out ain't it?

I love boards. I love the idea of it, what it represents, from the whole building communities thing to the whole fukk the traditional media the people have a voice of their own now thing. I've had a few fallings out with a few people on the ladder, but they were never over the finish-line and the objective, just over how we get there. I believe in boards, I just want it to realise it's own potential and not collapse on itself or stagnate.

I've had a fairly colourful couple of years here. I've made friends, gone for nights out, joined a drama group, dressed up like a geisha and sang on front of a crowd for a childrens charity (after waxing my legs, of course), hosted that comedy gig, etc.. But for me it comes down to one simple thing. This site, and the people I have met through it, have improved my life. If it weren't for some of the people I have met through this site, who helped me through some seriously messed up times in the last 6 months, I would not be here today. You know who you are, thank you.

I admit I have concerns over the direction this site is taking. The lean towards business, playing to the lowest-common-denominator, dumbing down in order to sanitise the site for newbs at the extent of losing the people who initially built the place, getting rid of the old boards/internet slang such as GTFO/stop being a dick, trying to quiten the more "vocal" or "higher-profile" users/mods on the site who "rock the boat", etc.

But I love this site. I have gotten more out of this place than most of the thousands of users on here will in a life time (and believe me, I know what I am talking about there). But I hate to think that boards is going down the route where such experiences are impossible due to boards losing the very things that made boards to begin with.

So that's it. 2 years. From mucking about in the BGRH bar with nerin at night to modding the stand-up, nocturnal, MMA, pro-wrestling, philosophy and D&D (and probably a few other ones I can't think of off the top of my head) forums. Bit of a jump eh?

It has been a pleasure, but I I think it is time for me to go walkies, so this will be my last post on boards. I have lived 15 years of boards (the last ten and the next five) in two years, and as boards moves on I think it is time for me to do the same. Boards really is becoming the place for the general populace, which is awesome for boards, but I've never gotten on with the general populace, so boards isn't for me anymore I guess.

Good luck, much love, and may your road lead to happiness. Thank you for everything.

orestes
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

:(

I should see if i have yer number for pints oreo.

Enjoy RL.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

/tips cat

Has been a pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

You'll be missed, even if youre a little too zombie friendly... Good luck out there wherever you end up. You added a ridiculous amount of good to this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Good luck Oreo..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wow, thats a bit of ashock. I've never had any personal dealings with you but I've always enjoyed reading your posts. Heres hoping you Re-reg some time and pop in anonymously now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

COMING THROUGH BEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.
    attentionwhore.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Bye.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

so you loved that wanky circle jerk that made you feel involved. well you are taking the right step then in not going back to such a sad state of getting thrills. i hope your own state of self importance doesnt get in the way of adventure. at least amp had the brass ring of a man to do it right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

...and this is Feedback how?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

so-long-farewell-copy.jpg

Two years eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Holy ego stroking batman!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Jazzy wrote: »
    so you loved that wanky circle jerk that made you feel involved. well you are taking the right step then in not going back to such a sad state of getting thrills. i hope your own state of self importance doesnt get in the way of adventure. at least amp had the brass ring of a man to do it right
    You know, don't be a dick is a site rule here. That chip in your shoulder is getting unsightly,best get some mortar and fix it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Seriously, I don't get this "leaving" Boards.ie thing.

Reduce the amount you post but stop posting all together? It's a website that you can log on to now and again.

That's a shame orestes... Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Is this your way of telling us you didn't get the AH mod position?

Jazzy wrote: »
    i hope your own state of self importance doesnt get in the way of adventure. at least amp had the brass ring of a man to do it right
    LOL - I believe you're implying amp's departure was lacking in self importance.

THAT is funny, it really is...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Bye

Dudess wrote: »
    LOL - I believe you're implying amp's departure was lacking in self importance.

THAT is funny, it really is...

dont think you got it then :)

True - a load of self indulgent, esoteric waffle. Ironic you whinge about circle jerks...

<snip - personal abuse>

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

See you later. o/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Bye orestes.
    You did a great job organising the comedy beers.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Orestes, sorry to see you go sir, you know where to find us if you change your mind.

Dav

PS: Jazzy has been banned from Feedback for a week for personal abuse of another poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Good luck orestes, sorry to hear you're leaving.:(
    0/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

orestes wrote: »
    I admit I have concerns over the direction this site is taking. The lean towards business, playing to the lowest-common-denominator, dumbing down in order to sanitise the site for newbs at the extent of losing the people who initially built the place, getting rid of the old boards/internet slang such as GTFO/stop being a dick, trying to quiten the more "vocal" or "higher-profile" users/mods on the site who "rock the boat", etc.

have a good old fashioned +1

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

Dav wrote: »
    PS: Jazzy has been banned from Feedback for a week for personal abuse of another poster.

That's not nice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Dav wrote: »
    MarkMI6 wrote: »
    That's not nice!

Can't we all just get along?

*hugs Mark and Dav*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I wish it were so gents, but abuse is abuse and we do have rules about that sort of thing.

We also have rules about keeping things on-topic... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

MarkMI6 wrote: »
    ****'s sake just ANOTHER example of COMPLETE MOD ABUSE OF POWER. Seriously it's like the Nazi regime on boards.ie
    these days, no wonder poor orestes left he can probably smell you lot firing up the ovens.!
    Paging Mike Godwin to Feedback, Thats Mike Godwin to Feedback please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You actually followed through, now apply that to what you want in life and good bye and good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Can't we all just get along?

*hugs Mark and Dav*

<3

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement