Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody else sick of the trade unions?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Have to say i despise unions and the public sector in general

I walked in to work a few months, was told to swallow a 7.5% paycut and be happy about it because it was in the best interest of the firm, lieterally 10 mins after the annoucement i was back at my desk working away

Actually looking forward to "reeling in the years 2009/2010" cause i reckon this winters strikes is gona make the 80's look like summer camp!

Personally im hoping for 5-15% to be cut of everyone in the public service and 50% cut of social welfare (but i still think 102.50 a week for doing nothing is to much - they should be forced to dig holes or at least lay a few more luas tracks but thats prob another arguement)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Unions are only good for one thing and thats a smokescreen.
    They'll send us all up in smoke ,before they'll do the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

thebman wrote: »
    So a mafia, yeah we get it.

All this mafia talk is more than a little hysterical don't you think?

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    Have to say i despise unions and the public sector in general

Unions aren't the public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    I walked in to work a few months, was told to swallow a 7.5% paycut and be happy about it because it was in the best interest of the firm, lieterally 10 mins after the annoucement i was back at my desk working away

Average public sector "levy" was 7.9%. You got off lightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

dresden8 wrote: »
    Average public sector "levy" was 7.9%. You got off lightly.

you forget that he most likely earns 25% less than he would in the ps so you guys are still much better off , everything is relative , including the across the board pension levy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Unions have become the leeches and dregs of society. They once were for workers rights now their just about conserving their own power at everyone including their members expense

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Ah another union bashing thread. Yawn.

irish_bob wrote: »
    you forget that he most likely earns 25% less than he would in the ps so you guys are still much better off , everything is relative , including the across the board pension levy

What's his job? What's his payscale? How much is he on now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

dresden8 wrote: »
    What's his job? What's his payscale? How much is he on now?

i dont know and clearly you dont either , the difference being , you concluded he got off lightly compared to those in the ps

irish_bob wrote: »
    i dont know

And yet you feel free to pronounce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Does anyone on this thread actaully believe they would have the rights they have in their job were it not for union activity at sometime in the past. Lest we forget that accusations against unions such as those being made here have been made since their inception.

While I dont always agree with unions, their methods and their sometimes outlandish pay claims, it is a nonsense to suggest they no longer server a purpose. Most union activity is conducted at local level, within companies and this goes mostly unnoticed. However it is much appreciated by the employees it helps in a variety of situations. Its not all about more money and less work. Its about fairness and equality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Voltwad wrote: »
    Ah another union bashing thread. Yawn.
    Ah, another Jack O'Connor groupie, yawn.
    If the government try to cut pay and numbers in the public sector expect the country to be crippled for weeks if not months. The Unions will have to be engaged on cutbacks.

Not so SURE? Dept of finance have said any work stoppages will result in no pay for the period of work that people are striking. Dont underestimate how quickly the unions slush fund would run out bankrolling mass strikes.

People's appetitie for taking the govt on might fade pretty quickly if they realised their pay was going to be hammered.
    wrote:
    THE Department of Finance has vowed to dock the wages of public sector workers who strike in protest over cutbacks imposed in December's Budget.

If even a fraction of the 320,000 public sector workforce went on strike, the Government could end up saving millions in pay costs.

The total bill for the public sector is currently €20bn per annum and is being scrutinised by the Government for further cutbacks following last year's pension levy.

When the 210 annual working days are divided into the €20bn bill, the daily pay costs amount to around €95m.

If even a fraction of public sector unions were to follow through on their threats to hold work-stoppages before and after the Budget, protesting workers would be hit in their pockets and the Government's coffers would be boosted by millions.

The Department of Finance sources said the Government would not be paying workers for work not completed if on strike. Workers' unions are highly unlikely to compensate them for the loss of earnings.

Many public sector unions are expected to strike but possibly not until after the budget in the event of pay cuts.

However, tens of thousands of public sector workers have threatened to strike before the budget- including 43,000 health workers at SIPTU who are balloting for industrial action over non-payment of a 3.5pc rise due under the national pay agreement since Sept 1. A further 20,000 local authority workers, who are also members of the union, are expected to follow.

The Civil, Public and Services Union (CPSU)- the only union to take strike action over the pension levy- has also forecast pre-emptive industrial action in the public sector ahead of the Budget.

In addition, leaders of all unions have encouraged members to take part in a National Day of Protest, organised by the Irish Congress of Trade Unions on November 6. This is not an official strike action, but will mean marches in Dublin and other regions.

However, the fact that it is being held on a workday means it is likely to result in effective work stoppages across the public and private sector.

The November 6 action will also mark the start of strike campaigns at SIPTU and other unions who are planning industrial action before the budget.

Separately, IMPACT, the INO (representing 40,000 nurses), and the TUI are balloting for strike action but have said they will only act if the government imposes pay or pension cuts, or compulsory redundancies. Earlier this year, members of the CPSU were told by the Department of Finance they would have their salaries docked if they carried out their proposed one-day work stoppage.

At the time, the Department of Finance said that up to 13,000 lower-paid civil servants, on average wages of €30,000, would lose out on around €1.5m gross if they downed tools.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/public-sector-told-strike-and-pay-will-be-docked-1917638.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Boards Union Bashers (BUBs) unite.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

ha ha! please do go onstrike and save us a fortune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wacker61

If these union leader idiots from planet Zog carry out their plans for mass industrial action which would be nothing short of national sabotage then they should be interned. They are undermining the state and should be treated as such. Curragh camp or Spike Island would do nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

wacker61 wrote: »
    national sabotage
    That's a familiar term:, ah yes:
    THE BILL to nationalise Anglo Irish Bank was passed in the Dáil by 79 votes to 67 with the support of Independent TDs Jackie Healy-Rae and Finian McGrath.
    Fine Gael justice spokesman Charlie Flanagan said “the top brass in Anglo Irish Bank is guilty of national sabotage and financial treason because they have cost the State tens of billions of euro so far”.

I believe that the Golden Circle's internment camp is in Spain somewhere?

Advertisement