Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get more volume in my hair...?

• 16-10-2009 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi,

My hair is quite flat, after years of straightening and bleaching it.
    I'm just wondering what is the best way to get some volume into it?

At the moment, I blow dry (not like the hair salon does...I just give it a blast of the dryer, any aul' way), then I straighten it a small bit. It's not that frizzy etc, but it needs a quick run over with a straightener each day.

I find that it is very flat though.

I have heard that velcro rollers, or heated rollers are good for adding volume.... True?
    If so, what size, brand etc should I be looking for?
    And also, when do I use them? Do I dry and straighten my hair, and then pop them in? And for how long?

Thanks a million! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Using products designed to increases volume should help first off.
    If you dry your hair with your head tipped upside down before getting at the straighteners it should give you a bit of volume from the roots before you start styling.
    I find that velcro rollers work better on warm hair so use you straighteners first after blow-drying but be sure not to bring them too close to your roots as this will flatten your hair.
    Pop the rollers up at the roots just under a layer of hair, unless you want curls, don't wrap you hair fully around the roller.
    Spritz on some hair-spray over the roller and leave for as long as necessary.
    It'll depend on how your hair takes encouragement.

If you have thick hair you could also try back-combing at the roots to give extra lift.

Have you tried searching through youtube?
    There're usually some good tutorials on styling there if you have a good look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

Using products designed to increases volume should help first off.
    If you dry your hair with your head tipped upside down before getting at the straighteners it should give you a bit of volume from the roots before you start styling.
    I find that velcro rollers work better on warm hair so use you straighteners first after blow-drying but be sure not to bring them too close to your roots as this will flatten your hair.
    Pop the rollers up at the roots just under a layer of hair, unless you want curls, don't wrap you hair fully around the roller.
    Spritz on some hair-spray over the roller and leave for as long as necessary.
    It'll depend on how your hair takes encouragement.

If you have thick hair you could also try back-combing at the roots to give extra lift.

Have you tried searching through youtube?
    There're usually some good tutorials on styling there if you have a good look.

Thanks kittenkiller!

I never even considered looking on youtube. Great idea! I'll be checking it out over the weekend :)

WHat size velcro rollers should I be looking for?
    My hair is a few inches longer than shoulder length.
    Also, it's very thin, so the back-combing idea won't work unfortunately.

I'll definitely try blowdrying it upside down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Cutevelvet

Hi, I also have flat hair and use the largest velcro ones that I can get as I only need volume coming from the root to make my hair appear thicker rather than having a curl at the end of my hair.

If you can, lay off the straightener (it absolutely wrecked my hair (even caused it not to grow)!!!!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

There are lots of root-lift products out there. Umberto Gianni does a good one in a green bottle.

Learn how to blow dry your hair properly. It's something i've been meaning to learn for ages...you really don't need to use a straightener if you know how to do a proper blow dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭blahhh

Hey, I found this vid a great help! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Egz9X8xSA&feature=PlayList&p=A0FE5F5E07D10CD5&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11

She's an absolute genius with make up, check out her other videos too.

My hair is thick but goes very flat, I've been blowdrying my hair like she does and for me it has made a big improvement volume wise. I also use aussie volume mousse on the roots and occassionally their volume shampoo and conditioner (all in one).

G' luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Cutevelvet

Just looked at that blow dry on u-tube, it looks good, will defo give it a try and post back if it was successful

Advertisement