Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog dont like his food

Options
  • 16-10-2009 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Have a big problem
    my dog always got gerodog red from lidl
    its the only one he likes
    Lidl dont have it on stock for weeks now
    Tried loads of other chunks ,more than 5 other bags from cheap to expesif but dont want it
    Turns his bowl uside down eats only he likes and mess with the rest
    Do someone know where i can get it???
    or do someone have a weblink from the manufacturer of this food???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

When changing a dogs food - you should do it gradually, adding more of the new and less of the old. That way it's not a sudden change to their tummys (as well as their tastebuds).

Changing to 5 different foods in a short space of time won't help - if you stick with one food, put it down for 20mins, take it up. your dog will eat when it's hungry, once he's drinking plenty of water I wouldn't worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jimmyn

I agree with star-pants. A healthy dog won't starve himself. He'll eat when he gets hungry.

If you want to make it a bit more appetizing, you could try mixing in a bit of gravy or stock. Or even a pouch of wet cat food as a special treat. Doggies love cat food. Just don't feed him cat food and nothing else though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

I wouldn't bother with the gravy etc tbh, it's not good for him and you'll have no chance of getting him to eat it without it once you start.

I was in your position with both of my dogs, I used to give them some dry food with half a tin mixed in. The bitch started to gain weight so we just stopped giving tins, simple as. they both turned their noses up at it for three days but when that realised there was nothing else on the menu they ate it.

Now they sit at the food bins at 3 o'clock everyday and wolf down their dinner when is given to them.

Take this as a chance to break bad habits, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I agree with everyone who said to leave the food down for 20 mins then take it away. I never understand people who claim their dog won't eat this food or that, a hungry dog will eat anything! So long as the dog is health and has no underlying issues going a few days without eating will do them no harm, and believe me by day 3 your dog will beg for whatever food you give him:p Just make sure fresh water is alway available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

star-pants wrote: »
    When changing a dogs food - you should do it gradually, adding more of the new and less of the old. That way it's not a sudden change to their tummys (as well as their tastebuds).

Changing to 5 different foods in a short space of time won't help - if you stick with one food, put it down for 20mins, take it up. your dog will eat when it's hungry, once he's drinking plenty of water I wouldn't worry.

This! It can take a few days but once the dog realises there is nothing else coming they will eat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

i agree with those who say put it down then take it up again after 20 or so mins. I have found to help this process along i add a sprinle of grated cheese, never yet seen a dog turn his nose up at this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Try adding a spoonful of cod liver oil to the feed. How old is your dog?

Advertisement