Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Restaurants in Co.Wicklow

• 16-10-2009 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

I know there's a restaurant section but would get more precise feedback from this section me thinks.I really love my meals out with the wife as we're not big drinkers so would like input so i can try some hidden gems that i might not have tried before,fwiw here's my top few restaurants,only 1 for each cuisine

Italian:Campo de Fiori,Bray
    Euro:Bell's Bistro,Greystones
    Chinese:Royal Park,Greystones
    Indian:Chakra by Jaipur,Greystones

Also,any info on a restaurant that serves top fish n chips would be appreciated,my fav is The Hungry Monk(downstairs)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭jackell

Wicklow Heather in laragh,is the best :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Waternews

All in Greystones..
    Chakra by Jaipur and 3Q are excellent

I've had a great meal in Vino Pasta, but I've heard not good reports from others.

Tinakilly House is lovely lovely, and a gorgeous setting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Am going up to Gordon Ramsey's in Enniskerry Friday week,went there a year ago and loved it.
    Could not understand the negative reviews it was getting.
    I will never forget the choc fondont we had,best dessert i've ever had and don't beleive what people say ,the portions wern't huge but they were adequate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

For a bit of fine dining, The Park in Arklow is f*cking amazing. Very small place, but the flavours are to die for. One of the best restaurants I've been in worldwide, sweet that it's on my doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

jackell wrote: »

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭gar.k

brooklodge hotel in Aughrim

gar.k wrote: »
    brooklodge hotel in Aughrim

ate in the Italian down there after a game of golf,the food was 1st class and very authentic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Outdoor_Freak

The best restaurant in Co. Wicklow has to be Bates in Rathdrum.

Nice cosey little place with exceptional food. They do full A le carte on Weekends and value/early bird meals during the week.

You'll probably need to book well in advance though, we were out last night (Tuesday night) to celebrate our wedding aniversary and it was packed

No recession in Bates :)

nice 1,will defo check that out if i have any money left after the Four Seasons 2morrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

I second Bates, although Donnellis in Wicklow is nice too. Brooklodge great, but overpriced imo, same with The Park.

• Advertisement

SarahMc wrote: »
    I second Bates, although Donnellis in Wicklow is nice too. Brooklodge great, but overpriced imo, same with The Park.

the italian beside brooklodge was pretty normal pricewise,unlike Gordon Ramseys last night,€240 including the tip and a bottle of wine that cost €60,food was magic,i know it's dear but we liked the whole experience and you get a few extra courses included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the parkview house pub/restaurant shillelagh, and the meetings in avoca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

heavyballs wrote: »
    the italian beside brooklodge was pretty normal pricewise,unlike Gordon Ramseys last night,€240 including the tip and a bottle of wine that cost €60,food was magic,i know it's dear but we liked the whole experience and you get a few extra courses included

:eek: I would need a lotto win to eat there!

Damo9090 wrote: »
    :eek: I would need a lotto win to eat there!

i don't go to the pub normally so don't mind splashing out about twice a year.Beleive me it's worth it for the experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Yes. I would imagine it is very well presented tasty food with a fantastic service. Maybe one day i will experience that restaurant.

i was just thinking it's the extra stuff like the wine that pumps up the price.
    Last night
    Starter:€14
    Main:€38
    Dessert€14 (choc fondant,omg it was tops)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭boggerboy

The best restaurant in Co. Wicklow has to be Bates in Rathdrum.

Nice cosey little place with exceptional food. They do full A le carte on Weekends and value/early bird meals during the week.

You'll probably need to book well in advance though, we were out last night (Tuesday night) to celebrate our wedding aniversary and it was packed

No recession in Bates :)

Outdoor Freak has hit the nail firmly on the head, Bates is the best hands down, quality ingredients turned into quality meals at affordable prices! and there's no rush on people to leave. They don't believe in the "two sittings" like a lot of restaurants so as OF has said, best book in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i have a book that gives top marks to two pubs in wicklow those are .the village rathnew[fitzpatrick brothers] and the meetings vale of avoca,but it dated 2006.

there is a seperate thread for best pub grub however i'm not dissin your post,just to say there are some pubs in Wicklow whose grub would piz all over some shoddy restaurants around.
    Imo the deal they have on in Lee's in Kilcoole on Sundays will not be beat,they give you a free kids meal(under 12's) with every adult meal(€10),perfect for us with 2 kids under 12
    Was there 2 weeks ago and going back this week,me and the wife had Turkey/Ham,it was magic,total bill including drinks,2 deserts and tip €35
    I know i was harpin on about Gordon Ramsey's place b4 but when you get value like that and gr8 grub it's hard not to enjoy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 PinkLady001

The Park Restaurant in Arklow is fab, nicest meal out I have had in a very very long time but my god you will pay for it.
    Found it very expensive, and that was without desserts or wine.
    Any side portions you want are extra, ie potato or veg, and it is very unusual to have to pay for chips with steak.
    But a very nice meal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭anamcarame

Have been here a ew times and it has been really good. 2 course meal and bottle of wine for two is only €50. Really good value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

New to Bray, family comin for a visit in two weeks. Looking for a nice place to eat in Bray. Been told Baracuda but I am seeing mixed reviews on the net.

Somewhere with a nice steak maybe, good fish(for the mother) nice selection of beers and wines.

I aint too fussy eh!! Any and all help appreciated.

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wicklow eoin

The Barracuda is closed down. I would try menu pages.........

The Park Restaurant in Arklow is fab, nicest meal out I have had in a very very long time but my god you will pay for it.
    Found it very expensive, and that was without desserts or wine.
    Any side portions you want are extra, ie potato or veg, and it is very unusual to have to pay for chips with steak.
    But a very nice meal.

if that's the one in a carpark just over the bridge it's very good,
    went there last new years eve and it was magic,think it was about €60 each,that was for a tasting menu,good quality food,arklow in general is sheite

frag420 wrote: »
    New to Bray, family comin for a visit in two weeks. Looking for a nice place to eat in Bray. Been told Baracuda but I am seeing mixed reviews on the net.

Somewhere with a nice steak maybe, good fish(for the mother) nice selection of beers and wines.

I aint too fussy eh!! Any and all help appreciated.

frAg

best in Bray is Campo di Fiori,down almost on the seafront,Italian as you may have guessed,not cheap but if you're into your steak esp if you don't like it well done get involved
    they do a special steak down there for about €36 i think,it's not blue but it's not to be cooked well done,the best steak you'll ever taste,ps,you wouldn't bring the kids there
    there's a place down the seafront across from where Baracouda was is quite nice if you're out with kids,we found it lovely but have heard differing reports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

30% off all food in Pizzas'n Cream before 6pm Mon-Fri. It makes a big difference. We got 2 pizzas, 2 garlic mushrooms and 3 cokes for 19.95. And the food was gooood

Grimes wrote: »
    30% off all food in Pizzas'n Cream before 6pm Mon-Fri. It makes a big difference. We got 2 pizzas, 2 garlic mushrooms and 3 cokes for 19.95. And the food was gooood

i like the 1 in bray but was in the one in Delgany for a eat in and it was really bad,i accept it's not set up as an eat in as much as Bray but going by my experience they should take the chairs out and leave it as a takeaway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Has anyone tried the new(ish) Italian that has replaced the old Italian that closed down recently above Phil Healy's pub?

The old Italian was really good and nothing else in the town really grabs me.

Morgase wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the new(ish) Italian that has replaced the old Italian that closed down recently above Phil Healy's pub?

The old Italian was really good and nothing else in the town really grabs me.

where is that?

had a couple of meals out over the christmas,
    Three q's in Greystones has gone way up in my estimations,food their is magic,€22 for 2 courses,couldn't fault 1 thing,had the brioche,lamb shank and choc fondont,omg best meal i've had in a long time
    On the other hand was in Diva recently,nothing good to report food wise,the only thing it's useful for is if you have kids with you they have a seperate room with tv/dvd which is great,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

we went to Jacobs in Rathdrum recently after another well known, often recommended restaurant in the town played silly buggers with our booking.

Couldn't recommend it enough, the staff were so lovely as we arrived in at the last minute on a Friday night. Nothing was a problem and we were served within 10 minutes. I had the fish and chips and it was honestly the nicest fish and chips I've had in Ireland in years.

Reasonable prices too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

the tower bistro which is part of the martello in Bray is quite nice

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,221 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

jackell wrote: »

It is my favourite!

Advertisement