Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Irish Jokes in British Prison paper prompts complaints

Options
  • 16-10-2009 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

From today's Irish Times:
    Irish jokes in British prison newspaper prompt complaints

MARK HENNESSY London Editor

A NEWSPAPER circulated to tens of thousands of prisoners in British jails has been criticised by an Irish welfare group for carrying a series of anti-Irish jokes in two recent editions.

The newspaper, Inside Times , carried two jokes submitted by prisoners in its September issue, and then dismissed complaints from Irish prisoners in its October issue, when it carried a third joke.

One joke reads: “A condemned man sat in the electric chair awaiting his execution, but there was a fault. They called in Paddy the electrician to try and sort out the problems. After two hours, he still hadn’t found it and told the Governor, ‘This thing is a bloody death-trap.’”

A second read: “An Irishman goes for a job on a building site. The boss asks, ‘Can you brew tea?’ Yes, he says. The boss then asks, ‘Can you drive a fork-lift?’ ‘Why, how big is the tea-pot?’” Describing the jokes as “deeply offensive”, an Irish prisoner wrote to the newspaper to complain they implied Irishmen “are basically stupid”, and asked if similar jokes would have been directed at black people or Muslims.

In reply, the newspaper quoted the late Irish comedian Dave Allen who once said: “You might as well laugh at yourself once in a while – everyone else does.” This, the newspaper said, was “sound advice at any time”.

The newspaper, run by a charity, the Newbridge Foundation, and circulated to 46,000 prisoners through prison libraries, could fuel anti-Irish prejudice in jails, said Conor McGinn of the London-based Irish Council for Prisoners Overseas.

The publication of the first jokes was “shocking enough”, said Mr McGinn, but “the editor’s response to my and Irish prisoners’ complaints was absolutely disgraceful. I have since been in contact with Inside Times and they are unrepentant. They have said the jokes weren’t racist and that ‘someone always has to be the butt of the joke’, but were unable to provide a single incidence of another ethnic minority community being targeted in this way.”

Denying the paper had been racist, Inside Time operations director John Roberts said he had asked Mr McGinn to write to him to explain “so that we can see exactly what the issue is”. “We do not do anything with a view to offending people. Obviously, it isn’t our intention to do so,” said Mr Roberts, who is married to an Irishwoman.

“The whole object is to make people’s lives easier in prison.”

These Irish prisinors in British jails are a sensitive lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They have a newspapaer, a free newspaper? Bloody disgrace!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Paddy Irishman, Paddy Scottsman and Paddy Englishman were sharing a prison-cell...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I never took offense to an Irish joke but then again I have a very un PC sense of humour anyway.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

In fairness your average Irish Joe is a bit thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

They're perfectly harmless jokes, but to put them into a publication makes the English man look more stupid than us Paddys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I suppose you could call the readers of this newspaper 'a captive audience'...

I'll get my coat.....

• Moderators Posts: 51,789 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

They're upset that the jokes are calling them stupid.

But yet they can't understand something as simple as don't break the law??

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

What do you put in a prison newspaper?
    Is this between the world news and classifieds

"Bubba (39) seeks man for friendship possibly more"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

An Englishman, an Irishman, and a Scotsman walk into a pub.
    They have a load of drinks, then go to a club, where they amuse each other and those around them by slurring their words in their very strong regional accents.
    Then they get a taxi back to the house of the Englishman as he lives nearest, and stay the night.
    The next morning, the Scotsman and the Irishmen walk home as they are still hungover and do not wish to risk driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

mike65 wrote: »
    They have a newspapaer, a free newspaper? Bloody disgrace!

and its set up by a charity :confused: who the heck would donate to that..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Not offended by the jokes at all - but they are correct in the pick and choosery. They could not make the same jokes about black people or muslims, and should not be able to make jokes about Irish people. What might not offend you, may offend others. And in an environment where they may be treated as lessers, these type of jokes may have a bigger impact - nobody here can be sure.

The publication should remove the jokes and avoid this sort of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

I had a conversation with a Brittish company today where they told me that they don't deliver in to Southern Ireland. I asked if that was near the Republic. They didn't like that question but tbh I didn't like the term "Southern Ireland", so I guess we're even.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Jokes about the electric chair in a prison magazine??

Win

I had a conversation with a Brittish company today where they told me that they don't deliver in to Southern Ireland. I asked if that was near the Republic. They didn't like that question but tbh I didn't like the term "Southern Ireland", so I guess we're even.

Well, neither Southern Ireland or the Republic exist. So you were both equally wrong. :)

I often hear Southern Ireland used on the phone, as I work in a company that deals with British customers. They generally don't mean it in a political context but if I feel they are getting political I'll tell them that I'm in the south-east of Ireland which quickly makes them feel awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm more offended at their categorization as jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Blah, blah, blah, southern ireland, blah, blah, blah, ...

Whats the big deal with taking offence to this? Are you seriously telling me that you don't refer to the 6 counties as northern ireland (or norn iron depending on location) you can't have your fooking cake and eat it.

If you feel so strongly catch a plane to Derrylondon and complain to Gordon Brown. Honestly, some people!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I dont take offence but then Im not Irish.

I would like to see them try to make some jokes about disabled people, like they said you have to laugh at yourself, or if you can't at least dribble in a certain direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

Long Onion wrote: »
    Blah, blah, blah, southern ireland, blah, blah, blah, ...

Whats the big deal with taking offence to this? Are you seriously telling me that you don't refer to the 6 counties as northern ireland (or norn iron depending on location) you can't have your fooking cake and eat it.

If you feel so strongly catch a plane to Derrylondon and complain to Gordon Brown. Honestly, some people!

Actually I found it funny. That said, last time I checked Southern Ireland doesn't show up on any maps. Nothern Ireland does.

I was mearly pointing out this person's stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They should lock the racist bastards up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Long Onion wrote: »

Malin Head, Southern Ireland? British people tend to get very fuddled when talking about Ireland. Bless them they mean no harm. I know that they can get their nose bitten off them when the call Paisley and his crew Irish. Most non-politically minded Brits I have met are a bit confused about the Irish situation. Its seems very clear cut to us because we have grown up with the distinction but less so to them. They generally do not intend to offend.

Anyways, I's prefer if they call it the Free State or the Popish Breakaway personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Shame. It's one thing I'm proud of as an Irishman is our general ability to take a joke in good humour. I hope that doesn't change. Just because some blacks or muslims (two examples in the OP) throw a hissy fit doesn't mean we should. We should be proud of our sense of humour and see them for what they are, jokes. Lame jokes but still jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

Republic of where?
    Because despite what FIFA have named our soccer team this country is not known as The Republic of Ireland it is simply Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I found the fact that the paper is called "The Inside Times" funnier than the jokes themselves...:D

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Shame. It's one thing I'm proud of as an Irishman is our general ability to take a joke in good humour. I hope that doesn't change. Just because some blacks or muslims (two examples in the OP) throw a hissy fit doesn't mean we should. We should be proud of our sense of humour and see them for what they are, jokes. Lame jokes but still jokes.

We should be, but how many racially or ethnically orientated jokes towards anyone else exist in that paper? Probably none.

It's great to be able to take a joke, but it's not great to be a joke. We should have some self respect and not take a subservient attitude all the time.

ShooterSF wrote: »

I prefer if they call it the Free State or the Popish Breakaway personally.

You are right. I think its an issue of self confidence too. The vast majority of us are now confident in our nationality and do not take offence at this mild ribbing. The Simpsons came over and made fun of us for St Patrick’s Day and they were allowed to lead the St Patrick Day Parade in Dublin.

This Irish charity, which is based in England, appears to well out of touch with sensibilities back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Blow up the prison. That'll sort them out.

Republic of where?
    Because despite what FIFA have named our soccer team this country is not known as The Republic of Ireland it is simply Ireland.

Its not that simple.

Republic of Ireland Act 1948

IN ACT TO REPEAL THE EXECUTIVE AUTHORITY (EXTERNAL RELATIONS) ACT, 1936 , TO DECLARE THAT THE DESCRIPTION OF THE STATE SHALL BE THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND, AND TO ENABLE THE PRESIDENT TO EXERCISE THE EXECUTIVE POWER OR ANY EXECUTIVE FUNCTION OF THE STATE IN OR IN CONNECTION WITH ITS EXTERNAL RELATIONS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

we are very much in a PC world/irish jokes /what next ?.crime rate in london for the last six months,one fifth of all crimes were committed by non british nationals,the worst were by people from poland then by jamaicans and the next were by irish nationals,and thats no joke

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

On a more serious note... Have we established the size of the tea pot yet? Must have been massive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Q; What language do Irish gay's speak?...

A; Gay-lick.

:p

Advertisement