Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Irish Jokes in British Prison paper prompts complaints

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I wonder if the Irish prison service is too PC to take those Irish jokes and make them Polak jokes, which are ( or were) all the rage in the US.

the worst were by people from poland then by jamaicans and the next were by irish nationals,and thats no joke

source?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think the electric chair joke is pretty funny and actually its something I can imagine alot of Irish people saying, jokingly of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

We were styled as a republic and our constitution was heavily influenced by the French one, though the drafters and first Dail stopped short of an outright declaration, as Eurokraut rightly points out, such a declaration was subsequently made in 1948.

With all the confusion, perhaps the most accurate name is Eire?

Now back to the Ireland jokes - why the fcuk does everyone get so sensitive it's a joke, just like the photo of Biffo on the sh1tter with his big titties, laugh if you find it funny, ignore it if you don't but please make sure to remove the PC slippers before entering AH - they dirty the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Those jokes aren't remotely offensive. They're not making fun of Irish more laughing with us. Those jokes show the typical kind of smart arse reply you'll get off any Irish person to a serious question/situation.

• Advertisement

Those jokes aren't remotely offensive. They're not making fun of Irish more laughing with us. Those jokes show the typical kind of smart arse reply you'll get off any Irish person to a serious question/situation.

True. I hadnt read the jokes. Read them with the idea that the Irish guy is being sarcastic and it gives a whole new light to the thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Jokes inferring mental inferiority are wrong.

Unless they're the anti-American ones so beloved of Europeans (including us) on a superiority trip, of course.

Jokes inferring mental inferiority are wrong.

Implying dude, implying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

dlofnep wrote: »
    And in an environment where they may be treated as lessers, these type of jokes may have a bigger impact - nobody here can be sure.

Absolutely. I would imagine that the atmosphere inside a prison is like a pressure cooker at the best of times, and jokes like this, that may appear a small matter to us, could easily inflame an already tense situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They shouldn't have jokes of any description in prisons, and should just allow the scum's victims to poke them in the eye with a stick. That would be funny, in a funny kind of way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Long Onion wrote: »
    Now back to the Ireland jokes - why the fcuk does everyone get so sensitive it's a joke, just like the photo of Biffo on the sh1tter with his big titties, laugh if you find it funny, ignore it if you don't but please make sure to remove the PC slippers before entering AH - they dirty the carpet.

Have you conveniently looked past the point that I made that in a prison environment, where Irish people in Britain might be looked down upon - these jokes might have a little more impact? I guess that would be too much for you to absorb. What may seem harmless to you and I, may not be harmless there. Don't be so close-minded about the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

asdasd wrote: »
    Implying, dude, implying.

fyp

/to retain a shred of dignity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

dlofnep wrote: »
    We should be, but how many racially or ethnically orientated jokes towards anyone else exist in that paper? Probably none.
    I agree there and would applaud them if they printed a joke about every ethnicity, religion etc.
    It's great to be able to take a joke, but it's not great to be a joke. We should have some self respect and not take a subservient attitude all the time.

I suppose you can split it into two groups. People that see it as a joke and as you said no harm and those that have a chip about the Irish and who get their racist kicks out of such a joke and even there who's the real joke? The person who spends their life with some bitter feelings towards us or us who laugh off the joke and get on with our life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

I wonder if they ever thought of doing a Readers Bitches edition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I remember a couple of years ago when Dara O'Brien got terribly offended because Jonathan Ross kept doing a 'stage Irish' accent while interviewing him! I say get a grip for fu** sake, & take the Irish jokes/accents on the chin, Wossy also does Welsh accents & Yorkshire accents too :eek: and as for Irish jokes 'Why not'? lets face it we take the pi** out of everyone else, and yet we get so offended when anyone takes us off ......

Time some Irish people grew up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I agree there and would applaud them if they printed a joke about every ethnicity, religion etc.

I suppose you can split it into two groups. People that see it as a joke and as you said no harm and those that have a chip about the Irish and who get their racist kicks out of such a joke and even there who's the real joke? The person who spends their life with some bitter feelings towards us or us who laugh off the joke and get on with our life?

Like I said, I'm all in favour of taking a joke in our stride - but it's almost as if we are made feel that being able to routinely being made fun it is an admirable trait.

It reminds me of people making fun of some guy with a severe learning disability in school, and he laughing along confusingly in order to not create tension and to try and feel apart of the group. We've spent the better part of a century or 2 being used as figure pieces for jokes across the world - in Britain and in America. I'm all for a joke every now and again, but routinely joking about a nation of people as dumb, ignorant arse-backwards people gets a little tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

asdasd wrote: »
    source?
    daily telegraph,just type in ,foreigners commit fifth of crime in london.i have yet to hear a irish comedian in the UK or in ireland who doesent make his living without telling irish jokes, anyone think of one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Both "Jokes" work without the Electrician or the builder being Irish. So why make them Irish? At the very least it's patronising. Okay you mightn't think they're offensive but that's grand when you're here. It's a different story when you're in Britain and hearing Irish Jokes day in day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I liked the tea pot joke - could have been used with any race really.

I think as long as the jokes are varied and not constantly concentrated on one group of people then it's fine. The first joke simply wasn't very funny (in my opinion!)

Camelot wrote: »
    I remember a couple of years ago when Dara O'Brien got terribly offended because Jonathan Ross kept doing a 'stage Irish' accent while interviewing him! I say get a grip for fu** sake, & take the Irish jokes/accents on the chin, Wossy also does Welsh accents & Yorkshire accents too :eek: and as for Irish jokes 'Why not'? lets face it we take the pi** out of everyone else, and yet we get so offended when anyone takes us off ......

Time some Irish people grew up.

He should master the English accent before he tries any others, the pwat.

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    daily telegraph,just type in ,foreigners commit fifth of crime in london.i have yet to hear a irish comedian in the UK or in ireland who doesent make his living without telling irish jokes, anyone think of one ?

Brian Cowen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MickMacca

Like, have these people never heard of political correctness??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

getz wrote: »
    I have yet to hear a irish comedian in the UK or in ireland who doesent make his living without telling irish jokes, anyone think of one ?

Thats a poor argument. Chris Rock may use the word "n****r" but it doesn't make it okay for others to do so.

Basically its the old principal I can slag my mother. But if you do it I hit you.

However, these 'jokes' are so mild it is hard to take offence. If they were about the famine or shooting spectactors on Bloody Sunday it might be a bit different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Both "Jokes" work without the Electrician or the builder being Irish. So why make them Irish? At the very least it's patronising. Okay you mightn't think they're offensive but that's grand when you're here. It's a different story when you're in Britain and hearing Irish Jokes day in day out.

Lived in England for three years, jokes a joke and I never took it to heart. At least we're not the pricks in jokes like them across the water are

I'm sorry lord Bastard shall I put another small child on the fire? :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I laughed at the teapot one

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I thought the teapot joke implied a very witty, rather than stupid, Irishman.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

But in Dublin you'll always have these type of stupid people jokes made about Kerrymen, and i'm then there's the Northsider/Southsider jokes. It's just a joke and I firmly believe things should be taken in jest if that's the way they're meant.

Although to put a joke that could be in anyway considered offensive into a newspaper is a bit stupid. You know someone's gonna take offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

BendiBus wrote: »
    I thought the teapot joke implied a very witty, rather than stupid, Irishman.

So rasict. They should not be tarring us all with the one brush. All my non-irish freind have unrealistic expectations of my wittiness on account of jokes like these. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the greatest irish mickey-take of all time is Father Ted and that was written and starred irish people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I think the point is more along the lines of:

What would happen if you substituted every instance of 'paddy' with a middle eastern name, and replaced the word 'Irish' with 'Arab'?

Would the jokes all be ok then?

(I am not offended by the jokes, just trying to see it from their point of view)

Advertisement