Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Irish Jokes in British Prison paper prompts complaints

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

jerseyeire wrote: »
    Lived in England for three years, jokes a joke and I never took it to heart. At least we're not the pricks in jokes like them across the water are

I'm sorry lord Bastard shall I put another small child on the fire? :D
    thats more offensive than a ethnic joke,or dont you understand that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

dlofnep wrote: »
    I'm all for a joke every now and again, but routinely joking about a nation of people as dumb, ignorant arse-backwards people gets a little tiring.

Relax, its only a bland stereotype. Just like the Americans are vulgar, stupid and fat; the Brits are tight assed and crap in bed; the French are arrogant and smelly; the Aussies are lazy, oafish and drunken; the Germans are boring and ruthlessly efficient; the Japanese are very excitable and travel in herds; the Brazilians are bikini-clad hotties; the Saudi's are chauvinistic and partial to a bit of suicide-bombing; the White South Africans are authoritarian and racist; ...... and the Irish are drunk and a little bit clueless.

Now, anyone with a bit of sense know that the above is not even close to the reality for most inhabitants of each country (except the Brazilians); so why are we getting upset? The idiots who believe these silly sterotypes arent worth worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

drkpower wrote: »
    Relax, its only a bland stereotype. Just like the Americans are vulgar, stupid and fat; the Brits are tight assed and crap in bed; the French are arrogant and smelly; the Aussies are lazy, oafish and drunken; the Germans are boring and ruthlessly efficient; the Japanese are very excitable and travel in herds; the Brazilians are bikini-clad hotties; the Saudi's are chauvinistic and partial to a bit of suicide-bombing; the White South Africans are authoritarian and racist; ...... and the Irish are drunk and a little bit clueless.

Now, anyone with a bit of sense know that the above is not even close to the reality for most inhabitants of each country (except the Brazilians); so why are we getting upset? The idiots who believe these silly sterotypes arent worth worrying about.

I dunno, that seemed like a pretty accurate summation of the worlds cultures to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭twinytwo

if you cant laugh at yourself , who can you laugh at

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I never took offense to an Irish joke but then again I have a very un PC sense of humour anyway.
    getz wrote: »
    thats more offensive than a ethnic joke,or dont you understand that ?

I make jokes, I take jokes.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

......how often do you really look at a mans shoes? Andy crawled to freedom through five hundred yards of sh!t smelling foulness I can't even imagine, or maybe I just don't want to. Five hundred yards... that's the length of five football fields, just shy of half a mile.

Great Movie.

Paddy Jokes belong to a day when we simply were outsiders/or a bit backwards. These jokes aren't anti Irish, they could easily apply to any race or culture globally.

I actually laughed(ol) at the electrician one!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

In French they make fun of the Belgians.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

In French they make fun of the Belgians.

Only in French? What if I wanted to make fun of the Belgians while speaking Flemish?

NothingMan wrote: »
    Only in French? What if I wanted to make fun of the Belgians while speaking Flemish?

I'll rephase, Belgian jokes are the French language version of Irish jokes. That Lord Bastard thing was said by Ben Elton who I believe is English.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Not only we're they not offensive,they werent even funny!!!...See:Tommy Tiernan.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

koth wrote: »
    They're upset that the jokes are calling them stupid.

But yet they can't understand something as simple as don't break the law??

Maybe the chances they'd get caught were exceedingly slim and they thought they'd get away with it. One of them may have enganged in a victimless crime and thus chose to ignore the law they saw as oppressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

drkpower wrote: »

are you sure?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Clearly, Paddy was pointing out that whoever threw the switch would be at risk of severe injury, if not death. And who'd be laughing then?

I, for one, hope the Irish never go down that road of being humourless ***** about whom nobody is allowed say a word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Irish people offended by Irish Jokes. Whatever Next?

They were probably made up by Irish People.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

twinytwo wrote: »

Everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Clearly, Paddy was pointing out that whoever threw the switch would be at risk of severe injury, if not death. And who'd be laughing then?

I, for one, hope the Irish never go down that road of being humourless ***** about whom nobody is allowed say a word.
    the irish started it by inventing the bagpipes as a joke to give to the scots,but so far they still havent spotted it.and the english have to suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

oeb wrote: »
    I think the point is more along the lines of:

What would happen if you substituted every instance of 'paddy' with a middle eastern name, and replaced the word 'Irish' with 'Arab'?

Would the jokes all be ok then?

(I am not offended by the jokes, just trying to see it from their point of view)
    That's because we can take a joke, any English people around here get loads of stick and can give as good as they get. I don't think the Irish and English will ever stop taking the piss out of each other which is a good thing because when two of the best and darkest sense of humours go head to head it's always classic.
    twinytwo wrote: »
    Midgets?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

NothingMan wrote: »

Flemish people speak Dutch.

And in The Netherlands, the Belgians are also the butt of their jokes!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

Who gives a flying f#ck whats published in a prison newspaper. The jokes were sh!te anyway.

• Advertisement

are you sure?

Yes; everyone knows that not all French people are arrogant and smelly. The Parisians are arrogant. And the country people are smelly. Its only the occasional creature who are both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

A Paddy Irishman, Paddy Englishman and Paddy Scotsman were playing Russian roulette.

Paddy Englishman used a gun with six chambers and no bullets;

Paddy Scotsman used a gun with six chambers and one bullet;

Paddy Irishman used a gun with six chambers and six bullets - but he put The gun to Paddy Englishman's head.

Offensive?

ch750536 wrote: »
    Offensive?

No, just poor.
    Sounds like a joke at a Wolfe Tone's gig (followed by hurrahs, up ye boya's and a few 'up the Ra's)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ch750536 wrote: »
    A Paddy Irishman, Paddy Englishman and Paddy Scotsman were playing Russian roulette.

Paddy Englishman used a gun with six chambers and no bullets;

Paddy Scotsman used a gun with six chambers and one bullet;

Paddy Irishman used a gun with six chambers and six bullets - but he put The gun to Paddy Englishman's head.

Offensive?

The only offensive thing about it is that it isn't funny.:P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Republic of where?
    Because despite what FIFA have named our soccer team this country is not known as The Republic of Ireland it is simply Ireland.

Excezt of course in France where it is referred to as Eire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I had a conversation with a Brittish company today where they told me that they don't deliver in to Southern Ireland. I asked if that was near the Republic. They didn't like that question but tbh I didn't like the term "Southern Ireland", so I guess we're even.

Had the same problem, "oh we don't deliever to southern Ireland" "Thats ok I'm in Dublin, that's on the East coast" cue long silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I don't mind the jokes, and I think they are wrong about IRish being the only group targeted. Obviously Muslims/Blacks would get very angry but there's different political background there.

I seriously doubt there'd be an issue with French/Scottish/English/Italian jokes.

That aside, I think its a bad idea to stir up any conflict amongst prisoners. If these jokes were in a normal newspaper fine, but in a prison I tihnk its very silly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I don't mind the jokes, and I think they are wrong about IRish being the only group targeted. Obviously Muslims/Blacks would get very angry but there's different political background there.

But is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

There has to be a strange irony that many wont get in the fact that the irish times is actually quoteing an article that shows how much a paper has been critical of the irish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement