If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical Query - Denon AVR1909

Options
  • 16-10-2009 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

O.k maybe this isn't the best place for this query but maybe someone in Richer can answer this:

I have the Denon AVR1909 with Sky+ hooked up via optical for audio. When I have a program on sky advertised to be in 'DS' i.e Dolby Surround I still only get 2Ch input on the display on the Receiver. I had a look at the manual and nothing seems to be wrong with the setup which I have on Auto with Audyssey etc. Strangely though when I have Disney XD channel on I get the DD Digital'' logo on the receiver but this doesn't happen with other channels.

Surely If Sky are sending a program in DS I should have 5.1 input showing up on the reciever?

Can anyone in Richer help me out. There doesn't seem to be any info out there on any of the other forums

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Correct me if I am wrong but Dolby Surround is analog so it outputs on 2 channels but your receiver will output it on 5.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

O.k maybe this isn't the best place for this query but maybe someone in Richer can answer this:

I have the Denon AVR1909 with Sky+ hooked up via optical for audio. When I have a program on sky advertised to be in 'DS' i.e Dolby Surround I still only get 2Ch input on the display on the Receiver. I had a look at the manual and nothing seems to be wrong with the setup which I have on Auto with Audyssey etc. Strangely though when I have Disney XD channel on I get the DD Digital'' logo on the receiver but this doesn't happen with other channels.

Surely If Sky are sending a program in DS I should have 5.1 input showing up on the reciever?

Can anyone in Richer help me out. There doesn't seem to be any info out there on any of the other forums

Thanks Eddie & RoRo,

Yep DS is basically just a 2 channel analogue attemp encoding some basic surround information whilst DD will give you a proper 5.1 surround and activate your 1910 accordingly - whilst I'm no Sky expert I understand that there is not much broadcast in DD as it is bandwidth hungry.

I know that Eddie & Ronan have really answered you already but if we can assist in any way - just drop us a line and we will do our best!

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭chemicalfred

Thanks for the help lads

Just looked up the link to the Dolby website too. Didn't realise DD and DS were sent as 2 channel. Of course it makes sense that the Receiver would decode it and output it as 5 channel, :o.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

yep, depends on the program, only the better programs broadcast in DD5.1 on Sky HD, in other words only the picture is HD, HD does not automatically mean DD5.1, check out BBCHD nature programs, they generally give you 5.1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I have Sky HD and this Amp myself, and if the program has DD in the info box, it means it 5.1.

I find for my amp i have to press the input audio button on the back to scroll through, auto, HDMI, and Digital. Leave it on Digital.

I always do it when i turn on the amp and sky, so when you flick you should notice the difference between stereo and 5.1.

Hope that helps.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.