Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jackie Healy Rae and the travel pass

Options
  • 16-10-2009 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

First of all I need to clarify that I've got it right, but the other Kerry TD travels to the Dail by train , but as he's over 65 he can claim for a travel pass which basically gives him free travel by bus and rail however for whatever reason he has decided not to. Is this true and why does he do it?
    Now I know the taxpayer will subsidise these journeys anyway so it may be much of a muchness, but how can he justify not claiming this pass and therefore reduce his squandering at the taxpayers expense as CIE would only charge a lessor amount or is there any restriction on using these passes to get to work or the likes,
    I understand that Healy Rae had one of the highest expense claims in the Dail in the region of 130k, and seeing that he is that high you'd imagine it would be in his interest moral or political to keep them at least somewhat in line, or is it that he's financially better off to claim that he pays the rail fare and receives thats back in an over payment

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Healy-Rae is an embarrasment to Ireland. This should be rightly taken as saying something when one considers that he is being compared to Irish politicians generally.

He embodies everything that there is to loathe in Irish politics, constantly shifting position to make sure that he secures the support of his electorate at all costs. Throwing his arms openly in the direction of nepotism, claiming large expense allowances, refusing to give up any entitlement, portraying proudly the image of the 'cute hoor' and falling into bed with anyone who will keep his own personal gravy train going.

I think with 100% conviction that the electorate of Kerry who also gave us JOD should be embarassed, yet he is returned year after year. I would personally give up 25% of my annual salary to see this leech removed from the public realm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

It always boggles my mind that people vote for this guy. I really don't get it. Maybe it's a city vs rural thing or something.

Can someone from Kerry explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

But he fixes the potholes in Kerry. Says a lot about many of the people of Kerry that they continously return this waster, and they will no doubt return his son in the future. Everything that is wrong in Ireland epitomised here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

meglome wrote: »
    It always boggles my mind that people vote for this guy. I really don't get it. Maybe it's a city vs rural thing or something.

lol its not a country thing.

I'm from Kerry but from country and would never vote for someone that behaved like he does. On top of it, he looks like a complete fool.

My only guess at why they elect him other than because he gets roads fixed (elect anyone and they'll try to get your roads fixed FFS) is they have bought into all their own tourist propaganda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

But he fixes the potholes in Kerry. Says a lot about many of the people of Kerry that they continously return this waster, and they will no doubt return his son in the future. Everything that is wrong in Ireland epitomised here

The people in Dublin continuously return Ahern, Mayo returned Cooper-Flynn, Tipperary returned Lowry, so I don't think it's safe to slag off Kerry in isolation.

Actually, even leaving all indications of corruption and dodgy acts aside, Limerick returns O'Dea, and that's not even explicable!

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    The people in Dublin continuously return Ahern, Mayo returned Cooper-Flynn, Tipperary returned Lowry, so I don't think it's safe to slag off Kerry in isolation.

Actually, even leaving all indications of corruption and dodgy acts aside, Limerick returns O'Dea, and that's not even explicable!

Hang on now. This thread is specifically about Jackie Healy-Rae. I don't know why people would vote for Bertie, Cooper-Flynn or Lowry either.

If you make it okay for politicians to be blatantly dishonest you'll reap what you sow. That whole you get the government you deserve thing.

I said it over in the John O'Donoghue thread, people in this country don't seem to see the connection between who they are electing and how the country is being run. Now that boggles my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭DEEP THROAT

He claims mileage for driving up and down,,,,, but takes the train;);););) and no doubt uses the free travel pass ( he had a heart attack a few years ago on the train and was rumbled :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Long Onion wrote: »
    Healy-Rae is an embarrasment to Ireland

The people who vote him in (and staunchly stick up for statesmen taking the p*ss with expenses) are embarrassing.

Hang on now. This thread is specifically about Jackie Healy-Rae. I don't know why people would vote for Bertie, Cooper-Flynn or Lowry either.

No worries, and I wasn't intending to drag the thread off-topic; my only point was - for want of a better word - "defending against" the comments re Kerry, because they're (unfortunately) no different to other parts of the country, voting for unsuitable candidates no matter what they do.

thebman wrote: »
    lol its not a country thing.

I'm from Kerry but from country and would never vote for someone that behaved like he does. On top of it, he looks like a complete fool.

I genuinely curious how many people in Kerry don't see this. And just to be clear I'm not singling out Kerry, this is about Jackie Healy-Rae who happens to be from Kerry.

I look at the man and think he's a fool and worse than what he's a slippery fool. He's like a walking talking parody. But I'm sure us Jackeens are just out to get him :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

My only guess at why they elect him other than because he gets roads fixed (elect anyone and they'll try to get your roads fixed FFS) is they have bought into all their own tourist propaganda.
    Don't forget that it's Healy-Rae hired plant used to fix the potholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Robbo wrote: »
    Don't forget that it's Healy-Rae hired plant used to fix the potholes.
    Don't forget he owns a fairly top of the range Lexus, yet goes out canvassing in a battered up 92 KE Toyota Carina.

Cute-hoorism at it's finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Carina and a cloth cap, no one else stands a chance (does he canvass with a lamb under his arm if its a spring election?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

When you consider the buckets of tears and the cries of " we'll continue to support our man" in the case of JOD, why would returning Healy-Rae surprise?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I always thought that the most strange thing ever, ie that an area known for its "Gangs" can return a justice minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

Hopefully this particular type of gombeenism will come to a grinding halt now that the government is mostly FF and the local authorities are mostly FG and Labour. Anyone who believed TDs actually "got roads fixed" will be disabused of this notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I always thought that the most strange thing ever, ie that an area known for its "Gangs" can return a justice minister.
    And why would that be, now?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Another area well known for its gangs returned a Taoiseach, so this is pretty ridiculous statement, in all fairness.

If you want to slag off Limerick, then start a different thread and I'll discuss the facts vs tabloid bull**** with you there.

sceptre wrote: »
    And why would that be, now?
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Another area well known for its gangs returned a Taoiseach, so this is pretty ridiculous statement, in all fairness.

If you want to slag off Limerick, then start a different thread and I'll discuss the facts vs tabloid bull**** with you there.

:DCalm down the 2 of you I am not slagging limerick in fact my family is from limerick. But lets call a spade a spade who does not think of butter when they think of kerry who does not think of the gangs when they think of limerick

no doubt you dont... My apologies I stand corrected. Forget i mentioned anything.:P

who does not think of the gangs when they think of limerick

Normally people who don't even know the place. :rolleyes:
    no doubt you dont... My apologies I stand corrected.

Yup.
    Forget i mentioned anything.:P

OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

My understanding is that he is entitled to a free travel pass

He does not avail of it because - if he purchases tickets then actually gets expenses for his travel to Dail Eireann

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    My understanding is that he is entitled to a free travel pass

He does not avail of it because - if he purchases tickets then actually gets expenses for his travel to Dail Eireann

Doesn't make sense; although if it's the basic expenses then we're essentially paying via our taxes either way.

However if he gets more by doing it this way, then he's wasting our money and should be exposed.

As far as i know your wife spouse is allowed travel on the travel pass. Perhaps this isa reason.ie it wont show his wife as getting free travel

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

As far as i know your wife spouse is allowed travel on the travel pass. Perhaps this is reason.ie it wont show his wife as getting free travel

I don't believe this is the case unless the passholder needs a travel companion for assistance , but don't see how it would make a difference.
    Probably according to the rules of our pitiful septic system set up that conman is doing no wrong , but something is very wrong where this is viewed as acceptable to the people in charge while our schools consists of prefabs and sick people lie on trolleys in hospital corridors. Maybe the IMF or the ECB will be our our best option, break this country down and start again

• Registered Users Posts: 24,082 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The next generation of Healy-Raes will be inheriting his father's seat at the next election. Ah Bisto!

My wife attended a conference a while ago, and picked up her information pack before heading to the conference room. One of the "young" Healy-Raes showed up, picked up an information pack from the lobby, and headed straight back out of the hotel.

I wonder what expenses were claimed that day?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Thats another that bugs the hell out of me is why the sheepish voting public constantly replace TDs with family members without any mention of ability or talent we seem to have seats passed through families like a throne , but it is us that vote them in.
    Look at the two Brians in charge at present, who the hell votes for someone because of their surname

rasper wrote: »
    Thats another that bugs the hell out of me is why the sheepish voting public constantly replace TDs with family members without any mention of ability or talent we seem to have seats passed through families like a throne , but it is us that vote them in.
    Look at the two Brians in charge at present, who the hell votes for someone because of their surname

The local monarchy's subjects and sycophants a.k.a. "The Peasants". They put these people on a pedestal, and don't realise that they're being kept in the dark and fed on bullsh1t.

If any of the locals gave a damn about Ireland as a whole, they wouldn't vote for these tribal leaders.:( Anyone with any relevant skill doesn't stand a chance against these people in an election, especially if they're not a member of the local clique, which is probably why no-one seems to bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Did Healey Rae claim a salary / expenses for a secretary back in Kerry although he never actually had one?

galwayrush wrote: »
    Did Healey Rae claim a salary / expenses for a secretary back in Kerry although he never actually had one?

Wasn't it "legitimate" in the end? Although that word seems to cover a multitude of sins in Irish politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Wasn't it "legitimate" in the end? Although that word seems to cover a multitude of sins in Irish politics.
    'Legitimate' can even translate as Media back off..........:rolleyes:

Advertisement