Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question on referencing collaborative unpublished work

Options
  • 16-10-2009 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I'm submitting my transfer document next week.
    A chapter of my thesis is on a particular modelling method.
    My colleague's thesis (in progress) is on a simulation project.
    We collaborated in creating a model of the simulation in his project using the modelling method: I made the model but he described the simulation to me and so on to enable me to do so.

The thing is that the model could be useful in both of our theses. However, we are under the impression that we can't both use it, because we can't both present it as original work, and it has not appeared in any published work to reference it.

Would a possible way around this be for me to reference his thesis, for example, and put the year as 'forthcoming'?
    Is there another way of putting the model in both?
    If we were both to include the model, through some means like this, would it detract from the work?

Anybody have experience with something like this?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

pwd wrote: »
    I'm submitting my transfer document next week.
    A chapter of my thesis is on a particular modelling method.
    My colleague's thesis (in progress) is on a simulation project.
    We collaborated in creating a model of the simulation in his project using the modelling method: I made the model but he described the simulation to me and so on to enable me to do so.

The thing is that the model could be useful in both of our theses. However, we are under the impression that we can't both use it, because we can't both present it as original work, and it has not appeared in any published work to reference it.

Would a possible way around this be for me to reference his thesis, for example, and put the year as 'forthcoming'?
    Is there another way of putting the model in both?
    If we were both to include the model, through some means like this, would it detract from the work?

Anybody have experience with something like this?

Thanks

AFAIK so long as you make it clear what each of you did, that should be fine. Not every single issue in a doctorate needs to be 100% de novo
    As for referenceing - Bloggs (2009) "how i did it", Manuscript would do it.
    More important is that your both happy to build on unproven approaches - they may well be fine but its risky.

Advertisement