Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Bike? <125cc

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Do you have a provisional A or A1 licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

^^^ +1 , and what age are ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 hummer015

Im not sure to be honest, I can check this evening. Im 23

if you're 23 and you've got an A1 learners permit, apply for your 'A' permit... that way you wont be limited to 125cc, but rather to 33bhp which alot (most?) bikes can be restricted to be.

In fact the bike you've listed above (sv650) can be gotten restricted, as can a hornet 250, bandit 600, fzr600, z750, superfour, bros400 etc etc all in that style :)

Also, I'd recommend a few lessons with an instructor, possibly one who can perform an insurance-company-recognised assessment at the end of the lessons. The lessons themselves will pay for themselves in hospital bills (j/k :p) and the assessment will help with the insurance quote, which can be rough enough even at 23...

speaking of.. have you any no claims from your moped days? Unfort has to be recent enough, as I think the NCB expires 2 years from the lapse of the policy

Ok so it turns out i may not have a provisional in either A or A1 licenses!

I had a provisional license which covered M, however this doesnt show up on my current full license for cars.

I would like to buy a Bros400, do i just need to apply for a provisional A1 to get this bike?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

hummer015 wrote: »
    Ok so it turns out i may not have a provisional in either A or A1 licenses!

I had a provisional license which covered M, however this doesnt show up on my current full license for cars.

I would like to buy a Bros400, do i just need to apply for a provisional A1 to get this bike?

Thanks

Its an A license you need. A1 is really only for young fellas under 18. If your over 18 there is no point going for it when you can get an A license.

Yeah sorry i meant A.

I have a full license for my car but will getting my provisional A license involve doing another theory/eye test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

hummer015 wrote: »
    Yeah sorry i meant A.

I have a full license for my car but will getting my provisional A license involve doing another theory/eye test?

If you haven't done an AM theory test i think you will have to do it, you wont need an eye test.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

If you get a provisional A license you can drive a full powered Bros 400, its just under the power limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Get your provisional A quick before the new rules come in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 glenn_lfc

Get your provisional A quick before the new rules come in.

What new rules?

Im in the same boat as the OP. Looking at getting a bigger bike (on 50cc) for commuting from 1 side of the city to the other.

What are peoples thoughts on this. Looking for something affordable and nothing too big yet

Booked my A theory test as I was using the moped extension on my car license

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

New rules supposed to be coming in November,, means that to get a bike licence,, you have to get a learner permit first and then do 16 hrs CBT and be passed on that before you can ride alone on your bike.

the cbf125 looks to be the middle ground between a cg125 and a cbr125.. style wise it wouldnt be my cup of tea :o

i'd be looking at a second hand cg, or ybr125 (yamaha), suit your needs perfect imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rayzor26

Go to Bikeworld and have a look around great selection in there at the minute was in there today from 50cc to triumph Rockets!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 glenn_lfc

New rules supposed to be coming in November,, means that to get a bike licence,, you have to get a learner permit first and then do 16 hrs CBT and be passed on that before you can ride alone on your bike.

Any idea when these are in? Doing theory test 1st week in november

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

roadskill.ie might have the info on it

Advertisement