Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to put a pull rope through Telecoms duct

Options
  • 16-10-2009 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

I will have a 80m long 50mm telecom duct running from the roadside to my raft.

What is the best method of passing a rope through the 50mm duct so the telcoms cable can be pulled in?

Tks

Naux

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

hi,

it is out flat under turf at this stage or rolled up ?

When I had to do the same to a 40m pipe I put a clump of cloth on one end of builders twine and used a hoover to pull it through.
    You'll need to get some-one to hlep - pull the twine back every now and then as the tension can catch it some-times.

hope this helps.

k

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Do you know anyone with a ferret :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Redvers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Ah! if you only had a cross-bow and a piece of thread!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

tie a piece of light twine onto a piece of aerboard....place the twine in the duct...lob in a garden hose and float the twine through...attatch twine to rope...pull rope through etc

job done...

next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Water works but is a bit messy, I second the hoover but I tied a plastic bag instead, the 80m run takes about 3 seconds to do.
    Bends don't seem to bother it at all or maybe I just had a strong vacuum.
    I used light nylon braid not fishing line it is stronger and has good breaking strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

if the duct is not intalled already feed the rope through it as you go.

if the duct is in the ground

1. use a "cobra" its a reel of stiff rod you feed it through the duct and when it pops out the far end tie a rope to it and pull it back.

2. get a couple of black bags bunch them up and tie some builders line to it. if you have a compressor or air hose or something blow it through the duct. tie the rope to the line and pull the line out.

little tip that may seem silly. make sure the rope is long enough . and make sure when the rope is in tie the rope to something heavy and bigger than the duct as without fail someone will give it a tug and you will have to do the job all over agin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

You can rent a big snake (or cobra) at any tool hire shop. Comes on a big reel. Should fit into a hatch back car with the seats down.

You will need a helper also. Its messy hard work. .

tie and duct tape the wire to it.

Set your wire up on a reel that can roll out when pulled. Brush shaft as an axle set up on 2 tressels.

And pull like a mad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

When feeding rope I use sewer rods. Attach a tin pce ant join the rods as you go. Then when your out the other end pull the rods through

Advantage. No expensive tool hire and you have a set of rods for sweeping the chimney or cleaning the sewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

tie a piece of light twine onto a piece of aerboard....place the twine in the duct...lob in a garden hose and float the twine through...attatch twine to rope...pull rope through etc

job done...

next.
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    Water works but is a bit messy, I second the hoover but I tied a plastic bag instead, the 80m run takes about 3 seconds to do.
    Bends don't seem to bother it at all or maybe I just had a strong vacuum.
    I used light nylon braid not fishing line it is stronger and has good breaking strength.

Both are good but don't expect to pull 80m of rope through in one go start off with sting and then use that to pull the rope through.

An airline can also be used to blow the line through, might help with the vac method.

With the water method it helps if you make up a manifold (piece of scrap pipe with a small hole in the side for the string and an adaptor made up to take the hose pipe then attach the scrap manifold pipe with a std pipe connector. Hope that made sence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I have done this dozens of times, bringing eircom and esb to big houses across fields or big big gardens.

the Reel is your only man.

trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

ttm wrote: »
    An airline can also be used to blow the line through, might help with the vac method.
    ?

No Need for an airline, the vacuum will pull it through in a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

When feeding rope I use sewer rods. Attach a tin pce ant join the rods as you go. Then when your out the other end pull the rods through

Advantage. No expensive tool hire and you have a set of rods for sweeping the chimney or cleaning the sewers.

really good idea joey.

You've lost me there? OP has 80m of pipe, not sure about lenght of rods they always used to be 3ft (the old ones) but I can be bothered going out to measure my plastic ones but lets say they are a meter long so does your method need 80 rods?

Still handy way to get rope through as you lay the pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

ttm wrote: »
    You've lost me there? OP has 80m of pipe, not sure about lenght of rods they always used to be 3ft (the old ones) but I can be bothered going out to measure my plastic ones but lets say they are a meter long so does your method need 80 rods?

Still handy way to get rope through as you lay the pipes.

True.@ 40 euro for a set of rods that would be 320 euro. Can they be rented I wonder cause blowing a rope 80m would be some job and a vacuum would be even better,

True.@ 40 euro for a set of rods that would be 320 euro. Can they be rented I wonder cause blowing a rope 80m would be some job and a vacuum would be even better,

Depends on whats doing the blowing ;). The guy that used to contract to eircom near me used to blow a phone line straight down a 200m conduit pipe but that would be an industrial breaker pack type compressor.

I don't think getting a builders line down a pipe up to 300m is a massive deal using water, vacuum or compressor its the next stage that makes the difference getting a suitable sized rope down as at very long lengths the weight and friction exerted by the string/rope/cable + knots/tape start to build up.

I recently helped pull some water pipes and armoured cable through shortish runs (40m?) and getting the string through with the water method was very easy, pulling through the rope was easy enough but there was so little flex in the armoured cable we broke the rope (approx 5mm) a few times even though we were lubricating the pipe with grease as cable went in (without the grease it wouldn't go more than half way). Messy job but cheaper than digging up and relaying.

OP only says he wants a rope for pulling a telecoms cable so even though I've never tried it I have a go pulling a builders line through first with the vacuum method.

btw OP where are you? do let us know how you get on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭40701085

Get some 1/2 inch hydro (comes in 150m lengths), nick the end & tie rope to it. Unwind it & duct. Feed it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

Alun wrote: »
    Do you know anyone with a ferret :D

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

Some great suggestions. Thanks to all.

The ducting is in the ground at this stage.

The vacuum method sounds good to me.

I'll report back when I get round to actually doing it!!

Naux

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

If the ducts havent been laid yet dig the trench first. Then lay all the ducts along the edge, unjoined. Get a spanner or any small tool with a loop at the end. Tie the long length of rope to the spanner and drop it through each duct one at a time, hammering it home after each time. The weight of the tool should pull the rope through.When the course is complete roll the entire legth of completed, roped ducting into the trench.

Et Voila.

Ignore that, just saw your previous post!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement