Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare Office open Fridays?

Options
  • 16-10-2009 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

Does anyone know if Social Welfare office is open on Fridays?

Social Welfare website is a bit vague saying open Thursdays from 10:30 am no mention of Fridays though... and no-one ever answers the phone there so can't ring, gah!

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Address: Hynes Building, St. Augustine Street, Galway, Co. Galway
    Telephone: (091) 500800
    Opening Hours: 9:30 - 16:00, Open Thu. 10:30

It seems to me it opens later Thursdays is all.
    Should be open today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Cool, thanks man!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GALWAYINDOOR

good luck you will need it i know of one person that works there who has no manner and is so rude im sure some others have dealt with her in current claims !!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Must be terrible for genuine people going in there, Q'ing up etc. who would just prefer to be working for their wage.

In fairness, if I worked in there i'd be pretty browned off too having to deal with the 'other' people ie. the scum/people who are just too lazy to work.

What's the deal in there anyway... you just walk in with your paperwork, wait you turn and say "Hi, i'd like to apply for Jobseekers whatever please"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Must be terrible for genuine people going in there, Q'ing up etc. who would just prefer to be working for their wage.

In fairness, if I worked in there i'd be pretty browned off too having to deal with the 'other' people ie. the scum/people who are just too lazy to work.

What's the deal in there anyway... you just walk in with your paperwork, wait you turn and say "Hi, i'd like to apply for Jobseekers whatever please"?

John, are ya feckin' serious? There's a HUGE amount of people in there recently laid off/put to part time/docket dole etc.
    If you think you can just walk in and get cash then good luck to you. I have a friend waiting 2 months for 'something' and at this point being reduced to almost 'begging' from HSE for 'emergency pay'. Seems to be huge waits, then again a letter in the 'tiser this weeks indicates that claims vary wildly, for no reason, in processing times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

much to learn young padeone....much to learn!

my ex'colleagues are waiting nearly 4 months for dole and have a mortgage and some have kids to feed.

please please please please think of peoples feelings and use your brain in a circumstantial manner.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

to answer your question directly, you do not just walk in with your 'paperwork' and ask for jobseekers allowance, it is an over complicated proccess and they are extremely understaffed. this creates frustation on both sides and huuuuuuuge waiting lists(100 people queueing before they open and waiting 4 months for money when you lose your job)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭quotaj

Firstly in response to the OPs original question... if you're jobless then get yourself into town with a handful of CVs and walk down to the office after and check the opening times! Not trying to be harsh but you're better off getting out and applying for something anyway, rather than sitting at home watching The Afternoon Show in a ball of depression!

And secondly, it's madness that in one room there's queues of people who want to work... and a service who is short staffed .... why can't the admin see the basic solution! If they pay someone 350 for a weeks work, it's actually only costing them an additional 150, great value for a weeks labour! Also if they offer the work to someone who's applying and they refuse - end of story for their application!

Oh and it took my application 5months to come through this time last year!! I got back off it since. Very difficult to get back off... you see a job listed for €250/week.... all you see is €50/week for actually working!! I believe you should get the full dole within a few days of applying... but reduce it by €5 every week. That will stop people from relaxing into it long term.

inisboffin wrote: »
    John, are ya feckin' serious? There's a HUGE amount of people in there recently laid off/put to part time/docket dole etc.
    If you think you can just walk in and get cash then good luck to you. I have a friend waiting 2 months for 'something' and at this point being reduced to almost 'begging' from HSE for 'emergency pay'. Seems to be huge waits, then again a letter in the 'tiser this weeks indicates that claims vary wildly, for no reason, in processing times.

my ex'colleagues are waiting nearly 4 months for dole and have a mortgage and some have kids to feed.

please please please please think of peoples feelings and use your brain in a circumstantial manner.

cheers

Jesus F'ing Christ - Can a lad not ask a question anymore? The dirty way ye replied to my question was as if I was about to go down there in the morning myself :rolleyes:

I just asked a genuine question as i've never been in the situation... maybe ye'd prefer if I just sacked it all in and DID go on the dole*

Comments like "Much to learn" make me cringe - You saying i've much to learn about scabbing money from the Government, rather than pull my finger out of my hole and actually earn a wage? No wonder the country is in the sh1ts, when you're told "You've much to learn" but the learning only has to do with applying for the dole

* I'm havin a laugh, i'd prefer to scrape my eyeballs out and eat them

cheers

Just to add, you obviously didn't even read my post. Infact, you didn't even read the opening lines to my post where I said "It must be horrible for the genuine people who want to work having to Q up" ..... and then you ramble on about your friends with mortgages & children.

Learn to read, seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It's phrases like "scabbin' money from the government" that irk me actually, not so much the other stuff. Using that phrase in the same context as the word 'dole' is loaded for people John.
    Someone working for a fairly low wage 40+ hours a week for years, paying taxes and PRSI (the I being insurance), and being taxed to the hilt. Then being laid off, and needing to go and get some of that taxed income back to feed a family while still reeling from being laid off.
    I know what you're saying about abuse of the system, but you really don't know the story of 'most' people in the dole queue, and probably wouldn't have an idea unless you were on it for a while yourself tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

People visiting the Welfare office may be there for things to do with pensions, maternity benefit, child-benefit, illness benefit, disability benefit for someone else (eg a relative who they've got power-of-attorney for) - and possibly some others that I can't think of at the moment.

Whatever you think of the government's policies about these benefits, the fact is that they are currently entitlements (when certain conditions are met). So best not to be too judgemental.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

good luck you will need it i know of one person that works there who has no manner and is so rude im sure some others have dealt with her in current claims !!!! :mad:

Oh my god, is that person still there? I was signing on in Galway some years back and was treated like merde by a blondie one there. If its the same one then :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP question was answered already.
    For the rest, take it to State Benefits or AH

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement