Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland V Liverpool 17/10/09 Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

rarnes1 wrote: »
    We did quite well when Gerrard and Torres were out last year. We have quality all over the pitch and on the bench.

agreed.

it's other people that need convincing. :)

Less tired in the run up. He always looked exhausted after an hour too.

Set pieces have improved dramatically.

Fair enough. Hopefully he has an off day tomorrow ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

SlickRic wrote: »
    well, yes, it does mean something.

it shows what normally happens between the two teams.

it's in no way definitive, obviously, but it gives an indication.

by your reasoning, in a game against morecambe we don't know what to expect because the past means nothing. ;)

What about Greece winning the Euro 2004 kinda knocks your logic a bit though doesnt it. Burnley beating United kinda does too, so as i said the past means nothing.
    Get a grip Fink. Using this as an opportunity to prove yourself right. The truth is we'd prob have struggled tomorrow with the 2 boys.

Your so bloody critical of the squad but I don't know how different it could be based on what we've been able to spend. We all know the way you feel but really you add nothing because all you do is criticise

I'm realistic, i'd love if we had an amazing squad but we dont!
    Who do you think we can rely on tomorrow to command the game and get goals other than Yossi if Torres, Gerrard and Masch are not playing??

The midfield will be a joke! the defence already looks shakey, there's no adequate cover for Torres

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

prendy wrote: »
    we deffo wont win 8-0 tommorow!!!
    i reckon 3-0 with babel and co proving people wrong!

And we're certainly now going to get all 12 points....

What about Greece winning the Euro 2004 kinda knocks your logic a bit though doesnt it. Burnley beating United kinda does too, so as i said the past means nothing.

both examples of upsets, yes.

but you can still guage what is likely to happen by looking at the past. again, not definitive, but you can get an idea.
    Who do you think we can rely on tomorrow to command the game and get goals other than Yossi if Torres, Gerrard and Masch are not playing??

The midfield will be a joke! the defence already looks shakey, there's no adequate cover for Torres

you're not realistic. you're living off clichés.

let's look at the present (seen as you're someone apparently who doesn't like looking at the past).

if you go by liverpool's last performance, against Chelsea, the midfield was the only thing you could not blame for the defeat, and we'll have the same midfield tomorrow.

yossi, albert and kuyt are all capable of taking the fight to sunderland; as is babel if in the mood.

cover is needed for torres long term, i'd agree with that.

SlickRic wrote: »
    both examples of upsets, yes.

but you can still guage what is likely to happen by looking at the past. again, not definitive, but you can get an idea.

you're not realistic. you're living off clichés.

let's look at the present (seen as you're someone apparently who doesn't like looking at the past).

if you go by liverpool's last performance, against Chelsea, the midfield was the only thing you could not blame for the defeat, and we'll have the same midfield tomorrow.

yossi, albert and kuyt are all capable of taking the fight to sunderland; as is babel if in the mood.

cover is needed for torres long term, i'd agree with that.

an idea of what might happen, still means nothing on the day!
    What Cliches am i living off??

Albert hasnt proved anything this season yet, i wouldnt be putting my hopes on him, babel if in the mood, not very convincing is it.

Fingers crossed Yossi has a great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

You mean the same Greece that are ranked 12th in the world?

Don't you just hate it when those non amazing squads get 86 points in a season, running the champions to the second last game, and placing our highest points total ever in the premiership?

Who said Masch isn't playing?
    And I can easily see Dirk getting on the score sheet.
    Again.

Riera is due, and Babel has been showing glimpses of his old form.
    Johnson has been a revalation this season.
    etc

The midfield isn't a joke.
    we're one player down from a midfield that last season we considered the best in the world!
    Our defence is so shakey that we've considered how many goals from open play?
    3 in the league, two of which were against Chelski at the Bridge.

And we are short in cover for Torres.
    Cause he's a one of a kind player!

What Cliches am i living off??

1) that our midfield is sh*te.

2) that we're a two-man team.

3) that we have no squad depth.

all of of these ideas are utter rubbish.

and it's been proved again and again.

our squad is not ideal, but it is not in the dire straights you always seem to tell us all it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

They're ranked 12th in the world BECAUSE they won the Euros. Where were they ranked before them. Pretty flawed rankings as anyway, as I was told earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Fingers crossed Yossi has a great game.

poor aul Dirk.

wtf does he have to do to be recognised as a huge player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Mr Alan wrote: »
    poor aul Dirk.

Not in Fink's Bible of Bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

dont be making things up now,what form?are you talking about the form he had before he was at liverpool?doesnt count im afraid.

poor aul Dirk.

I think all real fans know how important he is to us.

Don't you just hate it when those non amazing squads get 86 points in a season, running the champions to the second last game, and placing our highest points total ever in the premiership?

Who said Masch isn't playing?
    And I can easily see Dirk getting on the score sheet.
    Again.

Johnson has been a revalation this season.
    etc

The midfield isn't a joke.
    we're one player down from a midfield that last season we considered the best in the world!
    Our defence is so shakey that we've considered how many goals from open play?
    3 in the league, two of which were against Chelski at the Bridge.

And we are short in cover for Torres.
    Cause he's a one of a kind player!

Yes second place!!!
    Dont forget how influential Alonso was in those 86 points.

You can see Kuyt on the score sheet again, christ mystic meg is on the Liverpool thread!!! Hey Meg!

Riera is due???? is he pregnant??

Babels glimpses, wow lets put all our hope in glimpses!

I agree Johnson is a great signing!

We're two down in our midfield tomorrow because there's no Gerrard helping out.

Our defence is so shakey even Carragher himself has said it.

Drogba is a one of a kind player but its nice having last seasons top striker as back up when he's injured.

Yes second place!!!
    Dont forget how influential Alonso was in those 86 points.

You can see Kuyt on the score sheet again, christ mystic meg is on the Liverpool thread!!! Hey Meg!

OOoooh we're so sorry your majesty, hey everyone! no more predictions.
    Riera is due???? is he pregnant??

Nope he's fit, raring to go, fairly rested and coming into game where he might just walk all over there defence, but yea pregnant I get it, funny.
    Babels glimpses, wow lets put all our hope in glimpses!

Babels but in 6 or 7 good sup appearances, and ye we should put our faith in Babel up front in his favoured position, maybe support him a little, you know like Supporters do.
    I agree Johnson is a great signing!

Hallelujah.
    We're two down in our midfield tomorrow because there's no Gerrard helping out.

No we're not, we're 2 down up front.
    Our defence is so shakey even Carragher himself has said it.

Carragher himself should do his talking on the pitch.

• Advertisement

you said lets hope Yossi has a stormer totally ignoring the fact that Kuyt consistantly bangs in the goals & assists, you were implying Yossi was our only creative outlet for tomorrow.

Reina
    Johnson
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Aurelio
    Masch
    Lucas
    Reira
    Kuyt
    Benayoun
    Babel

not a bad 11 when you consider 2 of the top 10 players in the world are out injured.

We're talking about the here and now, who we have on the squad now, why talk about who i would have bought.

Why is that always your excuse when someone says the squad isnt strong enough, you say we didnt have the money blah blah blah as some kind of defence for it, instead of agreeing yeh we dont have strenght in depth!

when you piss & moan about the squad, its your round about way of taking a pop at Rafa. you know it, and i know it.

i bring up the resources available, because with what he has available to him, our squad is very good (as was proven by last seasons title challenge) & the reason our squad isn't as strong as it could be is because of the resources available.

we have lost one huge player from last years team, but gained another huge player for this years campaign, in fact more of a huge player when it comes to attacking threat.

we are without Torres & we have free scoring Kuyt as back up.

that'll do.

mayordenis wrote: »

Babels but in 6 or 7 good sup appearances, and ye we should put our faith in Babel up front in his favoured position, maybe support him a little, you know like Supporters do.

No we're not, we're 2 down up front.

Carragher himself should do his talking on the pitch.

Does Gerrard describe himself as a striker??
    We're 2 down in midfield.
    Carragher knew the criticism of the defence was right, he admitted it, you should do the same.

You dont have to be happy with everything on the team to be a supporter!
    you said lets hope Yossi has a stormer totally ignoring the fact that Kuyt consistantly bangs in the goals & assists, you were implying Yossi was our only creative outlet for tomorrow.

Depends on where he's playing as i said in my earlier post

so Dirk has to be out on the wing to be creative?

• Advertisement

Does Gerrard describe himself as a striker??
    We're 2 down in midfield.
    Carragher knew the criticism of the defence was right, he admitted it, you should do the same.

You dont have to be happy with everything on the team to be a supporter!

Depends on where he's playing as i said in my earlier post

It doesn't matter what he describes himself as, He's been playing upfront for 2 years, in our team he's a forward.
    Why do you keep saying 2 in midfield? Mascherano is available tomorrow. Who's number 2?
    I'm happy to criticise the defence it's been way below par, read what I said again, I said Carragher should stfu and get on with his job.

You definately do not have to be happy with everything to be a supporter.
    But you do have to support to be a supporter. The hint is in the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Be some craic if he decides both Lucas and Mascho are too tired after their long flights!

I'd like to see Kuyt and Benny as a 2 pronged strike-force, with Babel raiding down the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Cant see us beating sunderland tomorrow with Gerrard and Torres out.

Probably have lucas and masch in mid with Riera Benny and Babel and Kuyt up front as the lone striker.

Ughhh we have such a poor squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

mayordenis wrote: »
    Reina
    Johnson
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Aurelio
    Masch
    Lucas
    Reira
    Kuyt
    Benayoun
    Babel

not a bad 11 when you consider 2 of the top 10 players in the world are out injured.

The bench is going to be painful to look at tomorrow. Ngog and Voronin dont strike me with confidence. If Babel actually plays well its anyones guess.

For a team supposedly challenging for the title compare our squad to Arsenal,Man City,Chelsea and United we come in last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I hope Zenden comes on and bags an 89th minute winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Trolling moderator? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I hope Zenden comes on and bags an 89th 6th minute injury time winner.

fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mike65 wrote: »
    Trolling moderator? ;)

oversensitive fanboy :eek:

Trolling moderator? ;)

Because I want Liverpool to lose? :confused: I always liked Zenden as a player and Liverpool losing would be good for City.

Win win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I reckon one of Cana or Cattermole will eventually be replacing Mascherano. Looking forward to the midfield battle. I reckon a score draw, maybe 1-1.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    oversensitive fanboy :eek:
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Because I want Liverpool to lose? :confused: I always liked Zenden as a player and Liverpool losing would be good for City.

Win win

Ex Liverpool player as well. Thats why I wondered if you were just stirring it. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Christ i fúcking hate clueless Liverpool "fans"

Ex Liverpool player as well. Thats why I wondered if you were just stirring it. :)

Nah if I was gonna stir I'd have said a Phil Bardsley hattrick, two Carra OGs and one off Andy Reid's fat arse ;)

Like Zenden alot still - just hope he doesn't play tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Zenden plays for Sunderland...?

Reina
    ---Skrtel----Carra----Agger---
    Johnson
    Aurelio
    Masch
    Lucas

Voronin

Kuyt
    Babel

5-3 Liverpool win.

Yeah he was a free agent, signed last week, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Yeah he was a free agent, signed last week, I think.

Just signed today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

joe123 wrote: »
    Cant see us beating sunderland tomorrow with Gerrard and Torres out.

Probably have lucas and masch in mid with Riera Benny and Babel and Kuyt up front as the lone striker.

Ughhh we have such a poor squad.

I dunno, I have lost my Gerrardless/Torresless fears a little after our impressive displays/wins without them last season.

Also, looking forward to seeing the other players like Riera and Babel getting a chance to step up. Maybe the impetus will be spread among more players tomorrow instead of being disproportionally left to two.

noodler wrote: »
    I dunno, I have lost my Gerrardless/Torresless fears a little after our impressive displays/wins without them last season.

Also, looking forward to seeing the other players like Riera and Babel getting a chance to step up. Maybe the impetus will be spread among more players tomorrow instead of being disproportionally left to two.

Spot on

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »

It's called Henry-Arsenal Syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Is this on television anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Fully expect us to line up as follows:

Reina
    Johnson
    Skrtel
    Carra
    Aurelio
    Masch
    Lucas

Babel
    Benayoun
    Riera----
    Kuyt

Subs: Insua, Agger, Spearing, Voronin, N'gog.........

I reckon we will revert to playing a more cautious style of football, try to get an early goal and keep a clean sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Fully expect us to line up as follows:

Reina
    Johnson
    Skrtel
    Carra
    Aurelio
    Masch
    Lucas

Babel
    Benayoun
    Riera----
    Kuyt

Subs: Insua, Agger, Spearing, Voronin, N'gog.........

I reckon that line up is spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Really looking forward to this one.1-2 to the good guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Going to bed in 40 mins now. Will wake up 10 mins before kick off, enough time to get a stream working and check the team line out. Liverpool will win 2-1 after coming back from behind. It will be deemed a fluke and yet again show the lack of depth in the squad because we 'got rid of' Alonso and Lucas is crap. We won't beat Lyon or Man U playing like that etc etc....Fink will lead this charge and will get critisized for his lack of faith in the team she 'supports'. I will be happy that I've Fink on my ignore list and then that feeling will turn sour since posters quote Fink's genius posts.

Should I get up tomorrow or just sleep through to Sunday?

Yours,
    Nostradamus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

As a liverpool follower, i feel another afternoon of anxiety coming on. If sunderland play remotely as well as they did at united, we are in for a tough afternoon. Would like to see agger and babel step up today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

why do you bother lads?

fink goodie = broken-record.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Is it on tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Did I stumble into the "Lets Bully Fink Goodie Thread"?

Ye should be very proud of yourselves lads, well done, sterling!!! :rolleyes:

2-2

Bent 2
    Yossi, Lucas.

Liverpool to come from 2 behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

id be fairly disappointed if i was liverpool fan not to put in a decent performance against sunderland tbh. missing your two best players shouldnt automatically mean a tough game at an average team, which sunderland are, good form or not. you'd expect sunderland to smell blood with gerrard and torres missing but liverpool should be able for them, if theyre not i think its fair to have a good look at the squad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement