Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland V Liverpool 17/10/09 Match Thread

Comments

Mash has made a difference since he came on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

masch has indeed made a difference.

good to see us get our finger out.......in injury time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

awful awful game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

words cannot describe that performance.

not even sure if a youtube clip could either

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

7 points behind the league leaders after 9 games played. Not looking good at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Game over. Next week's game is now even more huge.

Terrible stuff from us.

Well deserved from Sunderland.

Anything less than a win against United and our title hopes are gone if they aren't already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Disgrace.

Even with that dodgy goal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

PHB wrote: »
    7 points behind the league leaders after 9 games played. Not looking good at all.

Thanks for the update, boss, very kind of you.

anyway team and manager should hang there heads in shame right now, gutless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

appalling...

there wil be all talk about the balloon, but we were all pver the place, bad tactics, changes made too late. usual stuff from rafa.

sunderland played well, deserved win

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

so liverpool lost due to a balloon hahaha :D

ah i dont see liverpool doing it this season at all now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

definately not going to blame a stupid beachball or any ****e like that we were awful plain and simple and deserved nothing should have been 3 or 4-nil to sunderland, horrible performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Load of ****. Squads too weak. Without Torres and Gerrard we dont look like scoring. Lucas and Spearing nowhere near good enough.

Babel looks like hel never improve. Voronin is Berbatov without the bit of quality.
    Lets hope the saudi fella gets controll in time for january and we sign someone whos actually half decent.

Very very depressing. Whats it now? 7 points behind united?:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

no doubt rafa willl blame the balloon, we lose wednsday and well he has to go, and where is aquilani,i hope to god his gifted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Well played Sunderland. Huge game next week but i can see us beating United with Torres and Gerrard back. Roll on next Sunday :)

utter garbage on the whole.

i don't care whose fault it is; time to stop the blame game.

the team needs to pull together and start showing pride and quality, because that performance was on the whole unacceptable.

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Well played Sunderland. Huge game next week but i can see us beating United with Torres and Gerrard back. Roll on next Sunday :)

They will hocky us if we play like that.

empirix wrote: »
    no doubt rafa willl blame the balloon, we lose wednsday and well he has to go, and where is aquilani,i hope to god his gifted!!

Here we go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

empirix wrote: »

Lucky for him they don't play on Wednesday ;)

Awful game, terrible performance and Sunderland were good money for their win, although they should have wrapped it up earlier. Beach Ball aside I don't think Liverpool would have won.

Great double save from Gordon near the end, especially the first one when Kuyt caught it really well through the defender's leg. Quality goalkeeping.

• Advertisement

rafa has got it right plenty of times; he got it wrong today.

the players didn't pull him out of this one. it's a joint effort, and the players, as much as the manager, should not abstained from blame.

well done sunderland though, it must be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Got Sunderland at 9/2 to win. Quids in. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

We were fcuking brutal today. We didn't deserve anything.
    We need to seriously cop on, or we mightn't finish in the top 4 this year.
    A win next Sunday is a must!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

SlickRic wrote: »
    rafa has got it right plenty of times; he got it wrong today.

the players didn't pull him out of this one. it's a joint effort, and the players, as much as the manager, should not abstained from blame.

well done sunderland though, it must be said.

We didnt HAVE the players to pull us out of this game. Not up front anyways.

Thinking about it todays team there are quite a few sunderland players who would of made the starting 11 in that liverpool side today. Thats scary.

That_Guy wrote: »

I'm sure you did !! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

That_Guy wrote: »

Aftertiming is the mortal sin of gambling. Who gives a balloon what you had?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The better team won today, and that bloody hurts to say when you are playing against Sunderland.

No disrespect meant to any Sunderland fans, but any team that harboured title hopes should not be beat by the Sunderlands of the league.

For most of that game two things were missing by Liverpool imho, cohesion and heart.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

spockety wrote: »
    I predict a convincing Liverpool win.

I don't fancy reading this thread to be honest!

But just to say, how wrong was I?

Fair play to Sunderland, they were excellent. European spot contenders if they carry on playing like that.

Kess73 wrote: »
    The better team won today, and that bloody hurts to say when you are playing against Sunderland.

No disrespect meant to any Sunderland fans, but any team that harboured title hopes should not be beat by the Sunderlands of the league.

For most of that game two things were missing by Liverpool imho, cohesion and heart.

They deserved it.

And they deserve to be above us in the lague as they now are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Liverpool have had a dreadful start to the season really. You have to think they need to beat Man Utd next week or it's business as usual with exception of lasts eason under Benitez with being out of contention in the league early in the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Better team won. The tactics and formation didnt work...not even for a moment. How many chances did we have in the entire game ?

See - it really doesnt make sense to me. Playing without your two best attacking players is going to knock the team...so why completely change the system also ? Its just too many changes in a short amount of time.

I reckon Mascherano could have played today - he hasnt played that many minutes this season and seemed to be bursting with energy when he came on. He could have at least played the first 60 minutes. With that in mind, which of the following teams/formations would yea go for ?

Reina

Johnson----Carra---Agger----Aurelio

Lucas--Masch

--Kuyt
    Benny
    Riera

Babel/N'Gog

OR

Reina

Skrtel
    Carra
    Agger

Johnson---Spearing---Lucas----Aurelio

----Babel
    Benny
    Kuyt

It just doesnt make sense to me to completely change the system because 2 players are injured.

Reina, Agger and Johnson were the only players who put in a decent shift from the start today.
    Voronin and Masch were good after coming on.

so that's 5 from the 14 today were anywhere close to what was needed.

Well done sunderland anyway, could of had 4.

I would have liked to see Kuyt on the right from the start, and Ngog on instead of Babel from the start.

I liked Spearing, his distribution was pretty good. He can hold his head up after that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I don't fancy reading this thread to be honest!

But just to say, how wrong was I?

Fair play to Sunderland, they were excellent. European spot contenders if they carry on playing like that.

How, in good knowledge of what we were missing, could you have predicted a convincing Livepool win, especially after what they did to Man U two weeks ago?

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    How, in good knowledge of what we were missing, could you have predicted a convincing Livepool win, especially after what they did to Man U two weeks ago?

I had more faith in the players than I should have, in hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I had more faith in the players than I should have, in hindsight.

Aye, same here. I thought we would get a tight 1-0/2-1/3-2. I'm really disappointed in the likes of Dirk and Yossi, they should have been the ones to lead the team through this tough situation.

Dirk and Yossi.
    NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Trilla wrote: »
    NOT GOOD ENOUGH

For context, are you a Liverpool fan?

• Advertisement

Either way in todays game yossi and dirk were simply not good enough and should of been removed from proceedings ahead of babel.

Aye, same here. I thought we would get a tight 1-0/2-1/3-2. I'm really disappointed in the likes of Dirk and Yossi, they should have been the ones to lead the team.

yossi didn't get the ball because of our midfield pairing.

lucas cannot stamp his authority on a game. for all our defending of him, he cannot run a midfield. he hasn't the maturity yet to be the senior player in the engine room. once masch came on, the control was a bit better, and we delivered the ball better into danger areas. but it was too late.

that was also dirk's first poor game in quite a while.

rafa must take a lot of the blame for that God-forsaken formation, and his refusal to budge from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Johner wrote: »

What the hell was Reina doing going for the balloon? :D

yossi didn't get the ball because of our midfield pairing.

lucas cannot stamp his authority on a game. for all our defending of him, he cannot run a midfield. he hasn't the maturity yet to be the senior player in the engine room. once masch came on, the control was a bit better, and we delivered the ball better into danger areas. but it was too late.

that was also dirk's first poor game in quite a while.

rafa must take a lot of the blame for that God-forsaken formation, and his refusal to budge from it.

Wrong, Yossi got the ball plenty today and lost it on more or less every occassion - watch the game again if you want proof - he constantly ran into players, directly into them. Not at the races today.

EF wrote: »
    What the hell was Reina doing going for the balloon? :D

It's how eyesight works. differentiating at the pace is not possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

****e performance from too many today including Rafa.

fair play to Sunderland.

****ing poxy balloon-never rains, it pours :(

To be fair, on paper this sounds pretty sweet;

Reina

Agger---Carra---Skrtel----
    -Aurelio
    Johnson-

Up to there, I had no problem with the formation, and had Gerrard and Torres been fit I'm sure it would have worked.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Wrong, Yossi got the ball plenty today and lost it on more or less every occassion - watch the game again if you want proof - he constantly ran into players, directly into them. Not at the races today.

he tried to do too much on his own, absolutely, and i'm not defending his performance as much as it may seem. apologies.

he maybe got the ball more than i made out, but like i said during the game, he and kuyt had zero support. all our players - dirk, yossi, even johnson trying to run through players because of a lack of other options, as well as his own poor play.

our midfield, for whatever reason, was as stagnant as muck.

again, the tactics and formation were the main culprits today for me; and i'm never quick to blame rafa.

there were also too many poor performances. but it honestly looked like the players had no idea what to do in that f***ing system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

So apt

Feck wont work, someone get 99 red balloons up lads

• Advertisement

For context, are you a Liverpool fan?

why does it matter? I'm a football fan. LOI, premiership, La Liga, my back garden, FIFA 10, subbuteo and Football Manager.

Kuyt and Beny are not the type of players you should be relying on to get results away from home against in form on the up teams...average, squad players and massively inconsistent. Especially Yossi

Advertisement