Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland V Liverpool 17/10/09 Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Dave! wrote: »
    Dunno if these have been posted here already, but it has to be done :D

And to think, it could have been avoided so easily.:(

16j58b7.jpg
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Love the way they all jump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Shower of nancys. :p

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Shower of nancys. :p

Better to be a nancy than to allow that balloon ruin a perfectly good game of football.:P

Pure Cork wrote: »

Now there's a man who loves his work. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Goal should have been disallowed officially

why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

outside influence or something. should have been a drop ball.

Bruce spoke about it after the match & admitted it should have been, but its an obscure rule.

**** happens.

24kz711.gif

couple of match ban for aul Brucie hopefully

WTF was that all about?

• Advertisement

Rafa said he had a funny looking nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jesus just lookin at the highlights, it coulda been 2 or 3 nil really if the finishing was better

Reid looks to have had a great game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Benitez accused Kenwyne Jones of diving despite being clearly injured and Bruce reacted angrily to it, or so ive heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

24kz711.gif

Ah come off it. Jones was injured and Benitez was making out he was time wasting. I reckon a ban for Benitez for unsportsmanlike behaviour!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Just watched the highlights there, Sunderland deserved their win , Liverpool were very poor again.

reason for it is irrelevant tbh, its not on.

• Advertisement

I just realised that kid was a Liverpool fan, poor bastard. I just saw the reaction on his face on the Premiership, very sad.

poor alright. need to up our game next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Caught getting rid of the evidence

poolgoal.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

poor alright. need to up our game next week.

I'd prefer if ye waited til the week after.

RTÉ using 99 Red Balloons in credits of Premier Soccer saturday. Excellent.
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

just looking at that gif, don't know if it's been said before, but what the f*ck is Johnson doing there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

reason for it is irrelevant tbh, its not on.

As were Rafa's accusations. But you are right 2 wrongs don't make a right.

RTÉ using 99 Red Balloons in credits of Premier Soccer saturday. Excellent.
    :D:D:D

i knew it would get a play somewhere :D that poor kid may start going to goodison from now on. at least he'll get a heroes reception there. he'll prob get a seat beside bill kenright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

outside influence or something. should have been a drop ball.

Bruce spoke about it after the match & admitted it should have been, but its an obscure rule.

**** happens.

Was just chatting to someone who did a little bit of reff'ing years ago

Nothing obscure about the rule at all, its a standard every ref/linesman should know rule (both should have acted)

Stop game, get rid of obstruction!

forgot to ask him but Id imagine its like the two balls on the pitch rules

Considering same type of thing happened last year(or year before) in a Man City game you would think it should have been drummed into the officials?

Asked him why ref didnt know, he replied:
    "Because football is f**ked":(

24kz711.gif

Rafa's best scouse impression ever…CALM DOWN CALM DOWN, with the arms out and everything… brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Damn shocking performance from Liverpool today they had no idea what they were doing, cant see Liverpool finishing in the top 4 this season if Gerrard or Torres get injured for a spell.

Stupid international games, there was no need for either of them to go as both Spain and England had already won their groups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Damn shocking performance from Liverpool today they had no idea what they were doing, cant see Liverpool finishing in the top 4 this season if Gerrard or Torres get injured for a spell.

Stupid international games, there was no need for either of them to go as both Spain and England had already won their groups

In Gerrard's case at least there was the integrity of the group. They were playing the Ukraine who were battling for second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

flahavaj wrote: »
    If you REALLy want to be a pedant, Subutteo is a board game.;)

it's also a computer game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'd call it table top like the football version of warhammer - roll your six sided dice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

:0
    They blurred the kids face out on MOTD.
    I hope he doesnt get too much abuse:(

Ya, saw that. A bit late when his face is all over youtube. The horse has bolted there.

All the chances Bent had today :eek:

If these are the highlights for Pool i'm glad I didn't waste my time watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

People will still know who the poor lad is, sad to see that a rush of blood to the head could possibly ruin his life, he may pray that pool win the league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

"Liverpool deflated by Bent strike" is Soccernet's take on the match

Man, these headlines really do write themselves don't they? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Told you lot Cana is immense. ;) Can't believe we beat Arsenal and Everton to signing him!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

"Out of stock" http://store.liverpoolfc.tv/products/souvenirs/giftsandmisc/beach-set/pid-28099

Who's been buying Christmas presents for the Liverpool fan in their life? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Only ones who used his image were RTE but like whelan said his mates will crucify him on monday (assuming he actually turns up)
    I blame the ref. Officials are notoriously fussy and yet where we have an incident which most refs says should have led to a drop ball inside the penalty area, ref chose to let goal stand. bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Only ones who used his image were RTE but like whelan said his mates will crucify him on monday (assuming he actually turns up)
    I blame the ref. Officials are notoriously fussy and yet where we have an incident which most refs says should have led to a drop ball inside the penalty area, ref chose to let goal stand. bizarre.

There was no drop ball either when it happened City against Sheffield United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Anyone see the analysis on RTE?

Highlighting the balloon.
    "Ok and here we see the balloon making it's first appearance."
    "And here's the balloon now rolling its way into an onside position"

Genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

"He's fat
    He's round
    He bounces on the ground
    Andy Reid, Andy Reid"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Xavi6 wrote: »
    There was no drop ball either when it happened City against Sheffield United.

Just because a ref got it wrong on a previous occasion does not make it okay for a different ref to get it wrong again on this occasion. I would love to hear how he justified that one to himself. The ball changed direction, Reina would have had it otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

"He's fat
    He's round
    He bounces on the ground
    Andy Reid, Andy Reid"

He's fit
    He's thin
    He crossed a "beach" of a ball in
    Andy Reid, Andy Reid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just because a ref got it wrong on a previous occasion does not make it okay for a different ref to get it wrong again on this occasion. I would love to hear how he justified that one to himself. The ball changed direction, Reina would have had it otherwise.

:confused: I didn't say it was right or wrong on either occasion, I merely said that it has happened before.

People are way too defensive here sometimes.

http://msn.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5635471,00.html

I'm genuinely surprised, I didn't know that it was actually wrong to allow the goal, I just thought it was of those unfortunate situations you can do nothing about (like when the ball hits off the ref or something).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    http://msn.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5635471,00.html

I'm genuinely surprised, I didn't know that it was actually wrong to allow the goal, I just thought it was of those unfortunate situations you can do nothing about (like when the ball hits off the ref or something).

Yes but the ref is considered part of the pitch, the same way goalposts are and can be used to score off....if you're good/unlucky enough to hit them.
    The beach ball is an external influence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Was at the game yesterday,

Sunderland went into this game knowing they had a great chance of getting a result, the fans had high expectations even before it was revealed that Gerrard and Torres were injured. They came out of the blocks very fast and didn't give Liverpool a minute on the ball. Cana, Cattermole, Malbranque and Reid all had excellent games, and with Mascherano not starting either C&C dominated the midfield.

At times Liverpool invited the pressure onto themselves, Sunderland were closing down everything - and it amazed me the amount of times Reina still decided to pass the ball to one of the back 4 - i know it keeps hold of possession rather than punting it upfield - but they didn't do themselves any favours at all.

Although both defenses were rocky yesterday I couldn't see any Liverpool player who was going to score. Johnson caused havos a few times but his final ball was lacking at times, and at other times there were just too many Sunderland players around him.

The crowd chants were funny at times, Liverpool fans chanting "Steve Bruce, He's got a big fat head, he's got a big fat head"....Countered by "Your a fat Spanish waiter, you're just a fat Spanish waiter" and "sign on, sign on".

As for Bruce blasting Rafa out of it, i think he went a bit over the top. Jones went down a few times, the one just before this incident being his last obviously, but it was very frustrating for Liverpool. They should have taken Jones off earlier - he hadn't the legs left - and he was making the most of every challenge on him.

Forgetting about the beach ball thing, anyone who saw the game would agree that Sunderland deserved their win. They had by far the better chances. Liverpool really do suffer without their top 2 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Yes but the ref is considered part of the pitch, the same way goalposts are and can be used to score off....if you're good/unlucky enough to hit them.
    The beach ball is an external influence.

Not trying to derail thread but wondering ,

Case 1
    Defender makes a tackle and loses his boot , (boot just left there on the ground in the box) Ball breaks to a striker he has a shot which is deflected of the boot into the net Goal or not ???
    Case 2
    If the balloon yesterday was a football returned by over zealous Ballboy ie two balls on the pitch And the shot hits this ball Would it be Goal or Not ??

Sorry just wondering

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

ROCKMAN wrote: »

Case 1
    Defender makes a tackle and loses his boot , (boot just left there on the ground in the box) Ball breaks to a striker he has a shot which is deflected of the boot into the net Goal or not ???
    Case 2
    If the balloon yesterday was a football returned by over zealous Ballboy ie two balls on the pitch And the shot hits this ball Would it be Goal or Not ??

Sorry just wondering

Not sure about case 1 but case two is, afaik, instant stopping of the game and the unofficial ball removed, then a drop ball (normally uncontested)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

ROCKMAN wrote: »

Case 1
    Case 2

Sorry just wondering

Case 2: As soon as a ref spots a 2nd ball on the pitch he has to stop the game.

Not 100% sure on Case 1 put I'm guessing a players clothes are considered part of the pitch like the ref and goalposts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Did it even hit the ball? Looking at it on match of the day it looks like
    Johnson just kicks the beech ball instead of the football.

• Advertisement
Advertisement