Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teleconverters-Your Opinion

• 16-10-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I'm in the market for a good zoom lens upto about 400/500mm. To save a few Euro's I was thinking of buying a small zoom lens and X2 teleconverter. I looking for some sound advice regarding this matter

Thanks Derek

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I've considered this myself and would be interested in seeing others opinions on it, although many of them will drastically reduce your fstop I wonder is it worthwhile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I've considered this myself and would be interested in seeing others opinions on it, although many of them will drastically reduce your fstop I wonder is it worthwhile?

Yeah the 2x ones will knock 2 stops off , the 1.4x ones knock off a stop. So to use a 2x you really need a pro-zoom to begin with, constant f/2.8 aperture. That goes up to f/5.6 with the teleconverter on it. Similarly people get 300mm f/4s and put the 1.4x converters on them, same result.

Brand name teleconverters are meant to be quite good, generally designed well with multicoated optics. You'll generally find there's one for short->medium tele's and one for long tele's aswell. Third party teleconverters are of rather more dubious provenance.

So OP, if you're thinking of saving money by getting one of those 70->200/300 4.5->5.6 zooms and putting a cheap 2x teleconverter on it then I'd say you'll be unhappy with the results. If you're getting a good constant aperture zoom or fast prime and putting an own brand teleconverter then I'd say you'll be okay, but it'll be expensive anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have a Nikon TC17 II which I use with my Nikon 70-200 F2.8 Zoom. This gives me reach up to 340mm at F4.5 (about 500mm if you put the crop factor in) This setup works fine because the lens is fast already. If you are not looking at a fast lens then a TC will be of limited value as you will loose 2 stops through a 2x TC. You also have to consider the optical quality of the TC as it is adding elements to your lens. If you have expensive glass & a cheap TC then it's the quality of the cheap TC that you will see in the final image.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 derekoshea

Thanks all for the info.
    Derek

Advertisement