Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nama and the country and what you're doing?

Options
  • 16-10-2009 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭

Alot of disgruntled posts re nama, BL, etc. some great and interesting reading. Just a question:

apart from giving out about it etc, what can we actually do about it? like im just genuinely interested. i know we can vote the next time around. we can chose to pay our taxes to help the country out or not in protest, but is there anything we can really do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

kennyb3 wrote: »
    we can chose to pay our taxes to help the country out or not in protest, but is there anything we can really do?

Interesting phrasing.

Firstly, we can't really "choose" to pay our taxes.

Secondly, the phrase "help the country out" is a little misleading (although I'm aware that that's probably not your intention)........no-one has a problem "helping the country out", but the problem is that so much of those taxes are going on waste and NAMA (one and the same?) and perks and bonuses.

If the Dail (because it's not just the Government that's in the wrong here) sorted all that crap out, and we could get an expense sheet of (a) how much money was required (b) what was going to be done with it and (c) how doing those would keep/improve services and the economy and debt and whatever else, and (d) how the people involved in corruption, waste and greed would be penalised and made accountable, then few would argue.

But while people are being paid more than €150,000 - €200,000 plus bonuses and perks, and are not held accountable, and the Dail is out of touch with reality, and members of the Dail are skiving off for the day promoting books and the like, THEN having to pay for that is sickening, because it has nothing to do with "helping the country out".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Interesting phrasing.

Secondly, the phrase "help the country out" is a little misleading (although I'm aware that that's probably not your intention)........no-one has a problem "helping the country out", but the problem is that so much of those taxes are going on waste and NAMA (one and the same?) and perks and bonuses.

Sorry bad choice of words, i just meant with all this waste going on are people tempted to make false tax returns or reclaims as a small prtoest/fcuk you government.

anyway you get what im talking about.

just wonder if there is much one person can do to change things.

like if im unhappy what can i actually do now as oppossed to the next election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Liam Byrne wrote: »

some can "choose" by various means such off shoring or simply not working as much...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the easiest thing that the private sector or anyone that is not happy can do quite easily is freeze their spending to an as large degree as possible! this will creat problems for the Government and PS. It depends who you are angy at! That disgrace Ahern is the main culprit of this mess! I really hope the IMF come in, they are the best chance we have of setting ourself straight! the longer the dilly dallying with 5% cuts here and there goes on the longer recovery is away. 5 or 10% cuts dont even put a dent into the savings required! The private sector is being destroyed by the public sector! there needs to be a complete turnaround!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The private sector is being destroyed by the public sector! there needs to be a complete turnaround!
    That's a bit rich considering it was private sector banks and private sector developers that took down the economy.

As for pinning your hopes on the IMF, you have no idea about all of what they would do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

i have a fair idea they would cut the ridiculous welfare rates and the PS wages! the 2 factors that need addressing. I completely disagree about it being the banks and developers fault, ultimately! the financial regulator should have stepped in. You cant expect private companies and interests to always act responsibly, there has to be regulation and the government failed! The buck stops at the top and the top is the government! Am i saying that the banks or developers acted responsibly? no. Do I agree with Nama! No! The fact is the private sector is the pay and work horse! and its reached breaking point, you cant get blood from a stone! Read that article and note the many similarities with Ireland http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/16/business/global/16latvia.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

That's a bit rich considering it was private sector banks and private sector developers that took down the economy.
    How many investment mortgages/top up/overpriced mortgages etc were taken out on the basis of perceived job security in the public sector?

Advertisement