Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epica - Design Your Universe

• 16-10-2009 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

cover_design.jpg

So I had a little nibble of Epica's latest release yesterday and my my, what a scorcher it is! I've yet to listen to the last few tracks, but the openers are certainly amazing!

Unleashed was the first single taken off of it and while the video is fairly lame (A staple for all symphonic/power metal acts), the track in itself is amazing although I'd expect no less from them! Resign to Surrender took me by surprise too, since it has a guitar solo in it, which isn't typical of Epica, but it's still outstanding nonetheless. I stopped at the beginning of Burn to a Cinder yesterday so I'll have to get back on top of that!

I don't know if I'm liking it as much as The Divine Conspiracy but I'm going to give it a chance to impress me a bit more. Any other impressions?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Gave Unleashed a listen on youtube, it's pretty good. Only listen to Epica the odd time, need to get my hands on an album

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I haven't really listened to their first 2 albums (3 if you count the score for a movie they did) but from what I've heard they weren't really fully evolved at those points. The Divine Conspiracy is where they really matured if you ask me.

The likes of The Obsessive Devotion, Menace of Vanity, Chasing the Dragon, the title track and their cover of Fear Factory's Replica show real musical maturity and variety, since each of the tracks I mentioned are unique in their own ways. From frantic, pulse pounding drumming with those harsh, gruff vocals, to a full orchestral section, to a soft, guitar accompanied song led by the sweetness of Simone's voice... it's just one of those albums that makes them stand out as a group. There are a few Nightwish clones popping up here and there but I think Epica have proved they can stand on their own.

I'm just listening to White Waters from the new album now, a duet with Tony from Sonata Arctica, EARGASM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

When I saw them at the album launch they performed the Design Your Universe in its entirety and I must have jizzed myself about 11 times throughout, once for each song. :pac:

Yeah the new album is serious business. Resign to Surrender is something else. I really like the way it progresses. There's not a bad song on the album, whereas their previous ones had at least one or two tracks that weren't up to scratch. I can't fault it. Quite a fan of the title track as well.

If you like this one and their last one then you won't be disappointed with their first two. The Phantom Agony is very dark and pared down, and Consign to Oblivion is what I'd call their movie-score sounding album.

I was lucky enough to meet the band and try to convince them to come to Ireland. Their new guitarist said the problem with coming to Ireland is that their show is a big production now and none of the venues in Ireland could support it (except for the 02 but sure they'd never sell enough tickets). I'd say there's still a chance though. Simone is incredibly patient and down-to-earth for such a huge star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

When I saw them at the album launch they performed the Design Your Universe in its entirety and I must have jizzed myself about 11 times throughout, once for each song. :pac:

Yeah the new album is serious business. Resign to Surrender is something else. I really like the way it progresses. There's not a bad song on the album, whereas their previous ones had at least one or two tracks that weren't up to scratch. I can't fault it. Quite a fan of the title track as well.

If you like this one and their last one then you won't be disappointed with their first two. The Phantom Agony is very dark and pared down, and Consign to Oblivion is what I'd call their movie-score sounding album.

I was lucky enough to meet the band and try to convince them to come to Ireland. Their new guitarist said the problem with coming to Ireland is that their show is a big production now and none of the venues in Ireland could support it (except for the 02 but sure they'd never sell enough tickets). I'd say there's still a chance though. Simone is incredibly patient and down-to-earth for such a huge star.

Why didn't you jizz a 12th time for Simone? What are you, gay!?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Why didn't you jizz a 12th time for Simone? What are you, gay!?

Off topic, but 666 posts!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

They still play club shows so there is a tiny chance they'd play Ireland. I saw them last year in a tiny club in Montpellier in France. I plan to see them play a few small shows next year too. I dont think that the O2 is quite what Isaac meant when they said that their shows are bigger! I mean Paradiso last week was 1500 people and thats one of their biggest shows in their own country.

Anyway back to the music, I love this album. It was so great to hear it live before getting the album. Following Ad's departure last year, Isaac is a really worthy replacement and I think the line up is perfect now. I am completely in love with Ariens drumming! Thats my simple highlight of the album.

Consign to Oblivion as played last week in Paradiso!

Advertisement