Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kilkenny squash players

Options
  • 16-10-2009 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

squash players from the army barracks club and ballyragget club have entered teams in the leinster leagues and are going well, they won div 6 last year and doing well so far in div 3 this year.
    squash seems to be really on the up now in kk, some good players around. all they need now is a decent squash club to play out of.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

You're talking about a sport outside of hurling, it won't take off.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

great input there, well done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

manus30 wrote: »
    great input there, well done...
    To be fair he has a good point on a whole, Most people get into sports during school and alot of schools focus on hurling with a lesser extent on gaelic,rugby,soccer and athletics, I've never come across a school that even did anything like tennis or squash.

People who got into it probably just played one game as a laugh and liked it or family ties, getting alot of people into it on any decent scale will be a challenge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tom2121

I see no reason why squash would not take off in Kilkenny again. It's an ideal sport for the winter as it's indoor. It was huge in the 80s when Kilkenny City and Freshford produced some quality league teams.
    Squash can complement hurling, Noel Skehan played premier squash and went for a game of squash the evening before All-Ireland Finals. By all accounts Christy Ring was a legendary squash player.
    Hurlers generally take to the game quite easily using the power, guile, touch and coordination gained on the hurling pitch to great effect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Linky to Irish Squash, looks like Ballyragget have a team. I'm sure whoever is interested could ask there.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

squash has actually taken off already, teams from the army barracks, freshford and ballyragget are all playing in the the leinster leagues with great results against top dublin club players. plenty of young players playing regularly, and indeed some of those great players that played for freshford in the 80's are still playing.
    lets hope it keeps up. kilkenny really needs a decent squash club though. when the squash club at the back of the club house hotel closed down about 16 years ago it was never replaced and was sorely missed by everyone who played there.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

I played a bit of squash in college and used to play in St Kierans squash courts but they are 16 yo yos for a court per hour. Anyway to cut a long story short, it's only 100 euro to join the army barracks club with no fees for lights or court rental . So thats 100 e and play as much as you like. The problem is you can only play with members. I would like to join. I don't know any members. Thus.................. Is anybody interested in joining and playing each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I played a bit of squash in college and used to play in St Kierans squash courts but they are 16 yo yos for a court per hour. Anyway to cut a long story short, it's only 100 euro to join the army barracks club with no fees for lights or court rental . So thats 100 e and play as much as you like. The problem is you can only play with members. I would like to join. I don't know any members. Thus.................. Is anybody interested in joining and playing each other.

what kind of level are you?

I played squash very briefly when younger but I don't know if I'd be good enough at it to make our games competitive, I played quite alot of badminton/tennis though and I'd still play tennis so I'd hope to improve at it quickly enough. Maybe drop me a mail?

if you are a member in the barracks you can bring a guest in for free actually. unbelievable value for 100 euro per year. the facilities are good, and there is a good sauna in each of the changing rooms. players of all standards there too.
    contact michael brett in bretts hardware john st. he looks after the membership and will print an id card for you. best of luck with squash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

if you are a member in the barracks you can bring a guest in for free actually. unbelievable value for 100 euro per year. the facilities are good, and there is a good sauna in each of the changing rooms. players of all standards there too.
    contact michael brett in bretts hardware john st. he looks after the membership and will print an id card for you. best of luck with squash

The contact is Bill Brett.

• Advertisement

billy or his son michael can sort you out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

...or his son michael can sort you out

No he can't. Only Bill can :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carlychick

hi, id love to get back into squash again for the winter. are their many lady players in the club? i am not so good but enjoy it......if you do arrive up to the army barracks would you actually get a game............or you just hope someone will play with you!

there was a few ladies playing but they dont play regularly. best course of action would be to contact billy brett ( or his son michael :p ) and get some female member contact numbers. my advice would be not to be shy about contacting members, they will be more than happy to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carlychick

thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fsc

Just to let you know freshford squash club is back up and running if anyone is interested in playing get down and take a look. all standards catered for. its just after winning the midland league, and has the best players in kilkenny.

Just to let you know freshford squash club is back up and running so get down and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mr Woodcraft

I currently play squash in Clonmel but spend a lot of time in kilkenny so would like to join a club there. If anyone is interested in playing a game sometime would love to hear from them.

Hey mr woodcraft, there is a squash tournament this weekend, Friday Saturday and Sunday.starting at 6pm Friday. If you fancy popping down would be great to meet you. It's sat and Sunday during the day, send me your e-
    mail and we can set up a game no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mr Woodcraft

That sounds great,
    I will try pop up on friday evening,

• Advertisement

When you come in ask for pat, i look forward to meeting you.

Advertisement