Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License substitutions

Options
  • 16-10-2009 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

For anyone who has recently sold a gun privately I just thought I had better share my experience as there is a change in the way licenses are issued. I've sold a shotgun and the buyer has applied for the license under the new system. Up to now the buyer would get his license and the seller could keep the old cert and use it to buy another gun (just do a substitution) or let it lapse when it expired.

Now in the "improved" new system before the Gardai can issue a new license you have to cancel the old one. This means that the gun is unlicensed for a period and I guess will have to be handed in to a dealer until the new owner gets his cert. Bit of a mess cause there's nothing out of it for the dealer but luckily I have a friend with a dealers license. In fairness to the Guards that I have dealt with, they have tried to be as helpful as they can but they haven't received any training and seem to learning as they go along. Just like all of us!!!

Advertisement