Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zebra Finch Question

Options
  • 16-10-2009 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

I have two beautiful Zebra Finches, Burton & Stiggy. I just got back from my holidays the other day to discover that Stiggy has gotten a bald patch on his head. There's a big patch on the back of his head that is totally featherless. I've done a bit of research online & have a few ideas as to what it could be but I just wanted to ask here about it too in case anyone else has come across this. Its so peculiar, the rest of his body is fine, just his head has the bald patch. And I know that Burton has not been picking on him as I've been observing them since I got back. They are the best of friends. So I've read that it could be that he needs a supplement or else he is ill. But he seems perfectly fine apart from his missing feathers.
    Anyone come across anything like this before?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Could be mites, or could be rubbing his head off the bars. Could be something else, better off having him checked at the vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GALWAYINDOOR

hi
    my 50cents worth is that you could have a male and female as the males tend to sometimes do that to females during mating/breeding
    just a thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kslicker

It could be one bird is pecking the other. Sometimes they can do it if there's not enough nesting material available. I also reckon some birds have a genetic disposition to 'pluck'.

Advertisement