Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Charolais Society rip off

• 16-10-2009 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

lads recently purchased a pb cow at a dispersal sale advertised by charolais society, she is due to calf soon so I enquired about registering the calf (all going well)..
    firstly I need to join the society..€127 euro thanks for a first timer member...bad enough you might think..€38 euro to register the cow in my name..this is the rule of membership
    €40 euro to register the calf, €50 unless you do direct debit!
    come January membership time again..another €50 euro
    does anyone else think its a total rip? that €255 by it will have cost me by the end of January..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

lads recently purchased a pb cow at a dispersal sale advertised by charolais society, she is due to calf soon so I enquired about registering the calf (all going well)..
    firstly I need to join the society..€127 euro thanks for a first timer member...bad enough you might think..€38 euro to register the cow in my name..this is the rule of membership
    does anyone else think its a total rip? that €255 by it will have cost me by the end of January..

Rip off. Big time. PB societies by their nature are run by a few for the benefit of a few, with the bulk of the members being used as cash machines to fund the lads at the top.
    Then you go to a sale, to find member A from the top table buys stock of member B form the top table for a crazy price, and B buys from A for an equally crazy price. Ididot down the pecking order gets caught up in the hype and gets creamed by the prime boys and the cute hoor auctioneers.

Stick with a few middeling commercials. More money in the end me thinks.

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭robototitico

What do the societies do with all that money? I know advertising upcoming shows in the Journal is expensive, but what else do they spend it on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What do the societies do with all that money? I know advertising upcoming shows in the Journal is expensive, but what else do they spend it on?

Meals and miles.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Wait until you start buying equipment and potions to prepare them for a society sale! That's when the real fun starts.
    I remember when the Charolais Society used to charge an annual fee for every breeding female in your herd! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Ya the fees for registering are high alright! :o There's alot, no more than anything else, you have to find out for yourself! Well that's what I found. Lads in the game, especially those doing well at it are very tight lipped!!

Also everyone will always tell you the good story, not necessarily the bad ****!

On the plus side, well this is what I've learned, is that you haven't no more than myself, gone into it in a big way! If you've a nice calf and you get her in calf again, at least you'I have the price of her back, even if you decide to sell the bull/heifer unhalter trained out of the shed.

Then sure, if you want, give the pedigree crack and the buracracy/politics of it all the two fingers and cross her with a good AI limousin bull. You should get a nice commerical weanling, if it's a heifer you can keep her and breed her and so on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

speaking of puttin her in calf again, anyone ever use the dovea bull TZA, looks like a good one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Yes TZA is an excellent animal. He's by domino who also sired enfield plexus. I've a ped cow in calf to TZA that is due to calf anyday now (due since thurs)

Fingers crossed, all goes well. She's a big cow so should be ok;)

I've a heifer due to calf middle Jan by HWN, a good alround bull aswel

Advertisement