Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good effects pedal for guitar(big sound)

• 16-10-2009 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

im setting up a 3 piece band and im the guitarist/singer. im looking to have a real meaty big sound with my guitar, along the lines of Matt Bellamy from Muse. If anyone's ever seen them live you'll notice how big his guitar sounds. anyone have any suggestions on good pedals for distortion/effects etc.. I use a Marshall TSL 122 100 watt amp. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Big how?

Big as in a full-sounding distortion? Big as in a warm, roomy reverb? Big as in a thick chorus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Neal_B

a big part of muse's sound is the bass, so i'd work with your bassist on this. A bit of chorus/flanger is always nice imo tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If you want his sound, get his gear! He uses the Z-Vex Fuzz Probe or Fuzz Factory I think, which is a slightly mental distortion pedal with a dial on it that even the guy who designed it can't explain the function of. Dolphin sell them, I think. Then buy a Manson and shoehorn one in. But like Neal B said, live they owe a lot to the big fat bass filling in the gaps where a rhythm guitar would normally be to create a massive sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Any advice on budget pedals for someone playing mainly Muse?
    I'm in no way a professional and cash isn't exactly abundant so I don't want to fork out E100 per pedal!
    I use a Yamaha GA-15 amp.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Any advice on budget pedals for someone playing mainly Muse?
    I'm in no way a professional and cash isn't exactly abundant so I don't want to fork out E100 per pedal!
    I use a Yamaha GA-15 amp.
    Cheers.

Get a better amp, really. It doesn't cost much to get a passable amp these days, you could get a decent modeler for €100 no bother, or something like a second hand Peavey Envoy or Bandit.

Matt Bellamy doesn't really use many effects. He mostly uses the dirt from his Marshalls, and some fuzz(rarely).

• Advertisement

Yeah I probably should, this amp was my brother's. He got it in a package worth about E90 so it isn't up to much.

I'd definitely consider a second hand Peavey.

Is that Roland Micro Cube any good? It's only 2W or something but in fairness I'm only really a bedroom guitarist. I hear it's got some effects built in?

Thanks.

The Microcube is a good buy but I'd nearly rather get the Vox DA5, which has way more models and better effects and a bigger speaker.

I'd actually recommend one of the Peavey Vypyrs. You can pick them up very cheap second hand. I played the cheap little 15 watter and it was quite impressive IMO.

Thanks for all your help. I've plenty to think of now. I just have to get some money together then I'm set!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ronan0

If you could manage to get your hands on a copy of NI's guitar rig software, that would let you play around with a huge no. of different effects and emulations. Then, if you prefer real hardware to software , go ahead and get the ones you like.

Keep in mind if you get a modeler, a lot of them nowadays have pretty good effects built in.

If you could get a Vypyr 30 that'd give you everything you need really. Install a better/more efficient speaker down the road and you could probably even do small gigs with it.

• Advertisement

ronan0 wrote: »
    If you could manage to get your hands on a copy of NI's guitar rig software, that would let you play around with a huge no. of different effects and emulations. Then, if you prefer real hardware to software , go ahead and get the ones you like.

I've never heard of that, is it computer software? Presuming it is, to use it I would record myself playing and then add in the effects after?
    Thanks.

You need a decent audio interface to use any software though, so it's not necessarily all that practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ronan0

No, it's live and real-time

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/guitar/guitar-rig-kontrol/

I was suggesting if you got your hands on say a friend's copy, or a demo version, you could use it to find the effects you like and then purchase the old hardware versions of whatever took your fancy, suited your playing style... Your built in sound card (would be good to have ASIO at least on it) would suffice for that.

While there's a sound-card bundled with the guitar rig hardware available for purchase also, if you didn't want to splash out so much, you could pick up a basic audio interface for cheap enough second hand (if you decided you wanted to go the software route). Converting the analogue input of your guitar to digital for the computer (ADC) is basic and cheap. However, you can go as far as you like with converting the digital back to analogue (DAC). But perhaps you have a DAC box already in your hifi system? Most soundcards give a digital signal out (spdif) which doesn't require expensive components. You could just stick a DAC box on that. Although, for guitar rig it would probably pay you back to get the pedals and hardware designed for the software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I've used guitar rig and its pretty good for what it is, I have a presonus firewire box for my guitar input. I usually use reaper and use guitar rig as a vst, which means you can record and change the effect, add eq etc. guitar rig is a bit expensive but the demo model gives you 30 mins play. If using reaper and the presonus then download asio4all. You can also use guitar rig as a stand alone.

However if some one was to ask me which pedals are my must haves (and I go for a Dave Gilmour type sound), it'd be my big muff and delay pedal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

Hey!
    I find a Blacstar HT-dual loaded on top of an already dimed out tube amp with some phaser on it sounds gorgeously close to Mr. Bellamys live tone
    lets not forget that in studio a guitarist can use loadds of tracks and everything!

bass is a big issue too as said further up
    and matt uses Diezel amps for absoloution onwards....think he's using wilkinson amps now..

just my 2cents!

Advertisement