Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrators

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Hullaballoo isn't an admin now?

jaysus, they're dropping like a bigamists fly at this stage

maybe this thread is a good idea =p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hullaballoo isn't an admin now?

jaysus, they're dropping like a bigamists fly at this stage

maybe this thread is a good idea =p

WHAT! Hulla noooo, got my first hmod gig with the hulla, and now I'm stuck there hmoding it alone?? Not even a goodbye???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Billy Bi Polar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

AlmightyCushion - gives a lot to boards, has done a great job as CMod, is always fair and level headed and is a genuinely helpful and (afaik) well-liked poster.

So yeah, I guess he'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Always liked Karoma's style of conflict management.

AC & OB are good shouts. Steady heads on broad shoulders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sherifu wrote: »
    yep.

Tom Dunne springs to mind too.

However, I don't actually hate any of them, so I wouldn't actually propose them for the thankless task if I actually thought anyone was taking any notice ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Always liked Karoma's style of conflict management.

Karoma would be unsuitable. He kinda has a **** you if you don't like it attitude to problem users. I enjoy it only because I've never been on the receiving end of it.

Tom Dunne: I think would make a good administrator but again largely because I think he wouldn't want the Job for the title.

Being an administrator means you can affect serious change on this site. You can stop it going down the path to of irrelevance.

Boston wrote: »
    He kinda has a **** you if you don't like it attitude to problem users.
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

In any case i'd say there is 0 chance he'd have time/be inclined to do it after stepping down from babysitting AH.

It works on after hours due to the type attracted to that forum, but you can't treat decent folk like that. An administrator needs know when to hold em, know when to fold em, Know when to walk away and know when to run.

So we need Kenny Rogers or DBC. Cool.

• Advertisement

or DBC.

Last I heard DBC challenged half the poker forum regulars to a boxing tournament for charity, reports have it he was beaten to death by of the moderator's 5 year old daughter. Frankly it was the most hilarious thing I'd ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

It works on after hours due to the type attracted to that forum, but you can't treat decent folk like that.

There are plenty of decent folk on AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I would propose Dr Bollocko or Makikomi.

BUt if Dr B left AH it would just be a graveyard of moved and locked threads.

Makikomi has a very admirable sense of right and wrong. But I think the constant shyte might send him over the edge :P He's possibly TOO pleasant to do the job.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

tallaght01 wrote: »

Makikomi has a very admirable sense of right and wrong. But I think the constant shyte might send him over the edge :P He's possibly TOO pleasant to do the job.

You're kidding right?! Kidding or drinking!

You're kidding right?! Kidding or drinking!

I don't think he is kidding, he seems to be suggesting people who operate out of a sense of morality/principles/guiding rules. Such people are less likely to cause an egocentric cluster fuk. I have little experience of this Dr.Bollocko, though I suspect he's not a real doctor. Makikomi would be too abrasive and would never have the patience to coddle / handhold the drama lamas's that appear.

I was actually thinking of putting tallaght01 forward as well as tbh and oscarbravo. I'm sure tallaght01 is doing a double take thinking wtf? While I've seldom agreed with tallaght01's stance on things (He often gives user more credit then I would and his approach is clearly not my own.), I respect that he is a very principled person with a clear moral compass, something severly lacking these days on boards. When I ask myself who would I want dealing with forums I post on, or problems I have with this site, tallaght01 is there.

If we can't actually find 12 users in all the thousands upon thousands of regular posters on this site who would make good admin material and all willing to do it out of a sense of community, then its time to seriously look at the direction we as a community are moving in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I don't think he is kidding, he seems to be suggesting people who operate out of a sense of morality/principles/guiding rules. Such people are less likely to cause an egocentric cluster fuk. I have little experience of this Dr.Bollocko, though I suspect he's not a real doctor. Makikomi would be too abrasive and would never have the patience to coddle / handhold the drama lamas's that appear.

I was actually thinking of putting tallaght01 forward as well as tbh and oscarbravo. I'm sure tallaght01 is doing a double take thinking wtf? While I've seldom agreed with tallaght01's stance on things (He often gives user more credit then I would and his approach is clearly not my own.), I respect that he is a very principled person with a clear moral compass, something severly lacking these days on boards. When I ask myself who would I want dealing with forums I post on, or problems I have with this site, tallaght01 is there.

If we can't actually find 12 users in all the thousands upon thousands of regular posters on this site who would make good admin material and all willing to do it out of a sense of community, then its time to seriously look at the direction we as a community are moving in.

Thanks dude. But to be dead honest, one of the first things I'd do as an admin is ban the bollix off you :P

I'm a good enough judge of character to be well aware of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Being an administrator means you can affect serious change on this site. You can stop it going down the path to of irrelevance.

:eek:Take my name off the list Bossie.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks dude. But to be dead honest, one of the first things I'd do as an admin is ban the bollix off you :P
    I'm a good enough judge of character to be well aware of that.

I lol'd. :D

We all have a small enough group of forums that we are regulars in that it's impossible to know who'd be the best candidate IMO. You may never interact with them.

I think lots of people on here could make good admins though. Mostly they've been mentioned already. Some are growing as mods and it's easy to see that eventually they're gonna be superb (Will for example is a legend in the making). As somebody mentioned already, I think G'em would make an excellent admin, but what would make her an excellent admin may also negate her desire to take the position. :)

As I said though...I only know these two that I mentioned because they frequent forums that I do.

Anyway, what's with this discussion? Is it purely for fun?

edit: I just saw that user representatives idea. Very good idea.

In fairness, Boston's scrotal appendage has never caused much of a problem on Boards, whatever about real life ... :pac:

You may need to aim a bit higher! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

:D

I actually think Tallaghto1 would be good too.

No offence to the admins, but I'd hate it. I'm happy being a punter although It would definitely be fun to revoke some user accounts with extreme prejudice, or at least coral them into a private forum so I don't have to read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Pighead ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

The the topic of this thread is to propose who you, the average user, would select to be a boards.ie administrator should our dictator of benevolence deem your opinion worthy enough to be taken into account. You'll have to give reasons why you would support this person personally and why others at large would support them. I'll get the ball rolling.

tbh

I like his style, he's entertaining and an easy read. He knows how to make a point in a brief manner. He's been around a good long while at this stage and has proven himself able to voice an opinion without alienating people. He's smarter then the majority of users posting. He isn't a sheep.

The community should support him because he never comes across as being in it for the power, but rather in his position as moderator out of a sense of caring for the forums he mods and mods well. He diffuses situations rather then escalating them, and isn't afraid to act out side the conventions of normally or even good taste.

Thats Boston's seal of approval / kiss of death for tbh, what's yours?

Wading in the deep end here, but it strikes me as odd that you would bring this subject up tbh.

Have Admin asked for opinions on who should be considered if another Admin is needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Have Admin asked for opinions on who should be considered if another Admin is needed?

Nope, they have not:).

This discussion is, however, interesting. The idea of representatives users might be something that can be used in the future.

Wading in the deep end here, but it strikes me as odd that you would bring this subject up tbh.
    Never ask Boston to explain his thought processes!

It's a bit like dividing by zero ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Why no discussion of the current admin team?

Sceptre and Buffybot seem to understand the responsibilty. Seamus might be ok if he wasn't so fond of expressing himself in excessivly loquacious yet lacking in clarity fashion. Surprisingly enough a gibbon like WWM is a better Admin than Beruthiel

henbane wrote: »
    Why no discussion of the current admin team?
    Because it's not the topic of this thread for one thing?
    Seamus might be ok if he wasn't so fond of expressing himself in excessivly loquacious yet lacking in clarity fashion.
    ... has stepped down.
    Surprisingly enough a gibbon like WWM is a better Admin than Beruthiel
    I'm sure they will both appreciate your courteous observations immensely! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Don't know about that one, but feedback is feedback. If the OP reckons he (or she) deems a mod (or user) to be fit for admin, well he or she may like to and have every right to express themselves so on this forum. Or so one would think, regardless of any privilages and access to other fora. (even if that case may be) (or not).

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

WindSock wrote: »
    Don't know about that one, but feedback is feedback. If the OP reckons he (or she) deems a mod (or user) to be fit for admin, well he or she may like to and have every right to express themselves so on this forum. Or so one would think, regardless of any privilages and access to other fora. (even if that case may be) (or not).
    I want the right to have babies!

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement