Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrators

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bigtommybomb. That guy was a rogue that would throw out the rule book and shake things up a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

DeVore wrote: »
    I want the right to have babies!

DeV.
    O_o

Kerist, this acting lark has gone to his head, he thinks he's Arnie ...

arnie_120x170_459236a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Pretentious? :D Sorry, I wouldn't have the time.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

O_o

Kerist, this acting lark has gone to his head, he thinks he's Arnie ...

arnie_120x170_459236a.jpg
    You're too young. Less Arnie, more Stan/Loretta. His sense of humour is definitely firing on eight cylinders there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

User representatives is an interesting idea. Technically that's the role of the community managers (kinda insulting title really, no one likes being "managed" or manipulated). I've long thought that there should be someone outside of the administrator structure who can post on helpdesk in support of complaints as a user representative. Someone knowledgeable enough to say "actually that ban is harsh, here's examples a -g where said mod acted different. I mean we have commercial representative and political representative, why no user representative.
    In fairness, Boston's scrotal appendage has never caused much of a problem on Boards, whatever about real life ... :pac:

You may need to aim a bit higher! ;)

Lol
    Wading in the deep end here, but it strikes me as odd that you would bring this subject up tbh.

Have Admin asked for opinions on who should be considered if another Admin is needed?

They didn't ask and to the best of my knowledge the community has never been consulted when it comes time to select the top brass, but I don't exactly take my Ques from el supremo brasso...
    henbane wrote: »
    Why no discussion of the current admin team?

Sceptre and Buffybot seem to understand the responsibilty. Seamus might be ok if he wasn't so fond of expressing himself in excessivly loquacious yet lacking in clarity fashion. Surprisingly enough a gibbon like WWM is a better Admin than Beruthiel

Maybe we could also talk about Leinsters recent performance in the Heineken cup or babies? It's no the topic at hand as randy pointed out. If you feel the need to discuss the current team, feel free to start a new thread.

Btw WWm is as far from a gibbon as you are from a valued contributor.
    DeVore wrote: »
    I want the right to have babies!

DeV.

I don't post nonsense in your threads, please don't post such in mine. Your subtle point is made, I've never said I had a right to post anything on this site. I'm well aware that I take part in this site at the grace of his holy eminence, the pontiff of feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If you have a problem with a post, report it.

Don't respond on thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Buffybot - what exactly would happen if DeV's post was reported? You gonna ban him? ;)

Boston wrote: »
    I don't post nonsense in your threads, please don't post such in mine. Your subtle point is made, I've never said I had a right to post anything on this site. I'm well aware that I take part in this site at the grace of his holy eminence, the pontiff of feedback.
    Macros42 wrote: »
    Buffybot - what exactly would happen if DeV's post was reported? You gonna ban him? ;)
    Jeez, have we got to the stage that a point can't be made in a light-hearted way on Boards, or a jokey post made in a thread, without us getting our knickers in a knot?! (And it's totally irrelevant from my POV who the poster is, before someone accuses me of licking DeV's arse ... sorry, do not want!!)

Life is too serious to be taken seriously, ffs, or we'll all end up in an institution.

There's a difference between a light-hearted post and a trollish / abusive one, but we seem to be forgetting that.

As someone who often uses humour (or tries to! :o) to make his point, I'm beginning to imagine a red spot on my chest here ...

For that matter, you should watch out too, Mac!

Life is too serious to be taken seriously, ffs, or we'll all end up in an institution.

For that matter, you should watch out too, Mac!

Hey - note the wink dude - I was ripping the pi$s :)

Macros42 wrote: »
    Hey - note the wink dude - I was ripping the pi$s :)
    Oh I gathered that, though I may have misunderstood what exactly you were ripping the piss out of ...

But this ultra-seriousness about everything is creeping in a lot, imho, and not to the community's benefit.

There are two extremes on that one, in fairness ... one is where someone tries to make a serious point and they immediately get mocked and berated, and that's certainly not good or desirable.

But the other extreme isn't much more palatable for a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Practical time restraints aside and in reverse alphabetical order I would suggest someone from:

Wibbs
    Tallaght01
    Makikomi
    Khannie
    G'em
    Boston

I think the above are example of people who could bring something to the administrative table that's not already there - a more independent view. While the above are fairly active within boards community already I don't think any of them are in the pocket of the site owners so I think they could do an excellent job of representing users. I think an outsider could argue that the current admin crowd seem to be very oldskool or very cut off from the normal joe on boards.ie (or both). I'm not saying they're not perfectly effective.

Oh I gathered that, though I may have misunderstood what exactly you were ripping the piss out of ...

Or maybe not .... gotta keep you on your toes :D
    ultra-seriousness about everything is creeping in a lot, imho, and not to the community's benefit.

There are two extremes on that one, in fairness ... one is where someone tries to make a serious point and they immediately get mocked and berated, and that's certainly not good or desirable.

But the other extreme isn't much more palatable for a lot of people.

Agreed. I posted something similar here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Practical time restraints aside and in reverse alphabetical order I would suggest someone from:

Wibbs
    Tallaght01:eek:
    Makikomi
    Khannie
    G'em
    Boston

I think the above are example of people who could bring something to the administrative table that's not already there - a more independent view. While the above are fairly active within boards community already I don't think any of them are in the pocket of the site owners so I think they could do an excellent job of representing users. I think an outsider could argue that the current admin crowd seem to be very oldskool or very cut off from the normal joe on boards.ie (or both). I'm not saying they're not perfectly effective.

Independent view.... please!!!

Wibbs
    Tallaght01
    Makikomi
    Khannie
    G'em
    Boston

I would be a terrible administrator. Your comment about them being old Skool doesn't make much sense considering I've been around almost as long as any of them.

Wibbs I don't think could handle the restrictions being an administrator would place on what he could and couldn't post.

Makikomi Would be exceedingly harsh. I say that as someone whose never been banned or infracted. But I can't imagine Makikomi eating taking the crap I've seen administrator taking with kicking ass.

Khannie; I like Khannie, he's popular I've never seen him in a serious disagreement with anyone. That alone is reason enough to say no. Administrators arn't popular people for long. Sooner or later everyone has a problem.

G'em: Maybe, I'd like to hear detailed reasons behind this one. I could see it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Out of curiosity Boston, who would your candidates be?

Asiaprod wrote: »
    Out of curiosity Boston, who would your candidates be?

I listed them earlier, but it might have been lost in the monty python posts.

tbh first and foremost. The guy has class being the short answer. I've read a lot of his posts and he is one of the users I refereed to previously when I said certain users you look for when reading a thread. I like how he interacts with people and - most telling - the way he interacts with those he disagrees with. I've seen him handle morons an scholars with the same level of respect. He's definitely a community builder and he's one of the few moderators I've know who can thread the user | moderator line successfully.

oscarbravo: Is a hard hitter who has no problems defending his cornor. This endears him to some and makes him lothed by others. He has a clear idea of right and wrong but can compromise to work with a team. The rare combination of individualist and concenus builder. Oscarbravo would be a stead fast rock and a welcome addition to the managment. There are other reason why oscarbravo would be a good choice in this emerging commerical endeviour know as boards.ie, but they're not mine to post on a public forum, I'm sure you're well aware of what I refer to.

Tallaght01: Almost from day one this user has been arguing for a pardim shift in boards.ie policy towards liberalistaion. I and many others thought he was insane and deluded. Never the less the bio-med forum is a huge suggest and a shinnying example of how liberal moderation can build a great little community. It restores my faith in boards to know theres a place here for people like him and the mini community he nurtures. Beyond any other reason I'd like to see tallaght01 a moderator because he would offer balance and temper some of the more extreme policies of late.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

+1 (or is it +3)?

At the moment its a discussion, an idea, not a + or - call situation:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Of course, I understand that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i was going to suggest Ruu, but i see he has been a mod so may not want such a task.

After that i dont really know.

As long as its not a woman..

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I think Rb should do it.

I should add, my selection isn't an endorsement of any of the views help by the people I recommended. Tallaght01's "ban boston" stance, for example - isn't one I throw my weight behind. I'm supporting personas not policies in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Lol'd at that post being deleted. Must be nice to have little lemmings who'll run your company for you for free and not complain about it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What post was deleted?

5starpool wrote: »
    What post was deleted?
    I made a post along the lines of questioning why exactly someone would step forward to essentially run the site & contribute towards it's growth when it's now a fully functional business with profit on the mind (and obviously so) and is, in fact, actually paying other people to run the site as well.

In short, why would anyone work for a business for free? I understand people's want to "give back" to the community, but (imo) it's not the community Boards.ie LTD has on it's mind and in actuality, those who think they're doing something for the "community" are actually just helping the pockets of those behind the place.

Then the post got deleted, which is more amusing than anything as it's pretty reflective of how shady the motives are beginning to get as of late. Feedback? Only if it suits us!

Not really for this thread, in the same way discussion of the current team isn't. It's a valid query and best answered by asking the administrator directly to give an account of their motivations.

Yeah I realise and sorry for de-railing, it's just mind-boggling that those nominating possible administrators are essentially asking what are currently normal users to provide charity work to a site that has already shown that it will pay staff should it see fit.

No point in starting a thread about it really, DeV will just call me cynical and say one thing while acting another.

Everyday I get asked to give something to someone for nothing. I don't find it bizarre that people are being politely asked to contribute there time to the site. If they decline I nor anyone else will think less of them.

• Advertisement

Rb wrote: »
    Yeah I realise and sorry for de-railing,
    So I deleted your post:).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement