Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrators

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Rb wrote: »
    I made a post along the lines of questioning why exactly someone would step forward to essentially run the site & contribute towards it's growth when it's now a fully functional business with profit on the mind (and obviously so) and is, in fact, actually paying other people to run the site as well.

In short, why would anyone work for a business for free? I understand people's want to "give back" to the community, but (imo) it's not the community Boards.ie LTD has on it's mind and in actuality, those who think they're doing something for the "community" are actually just helping the pockets of those behind the place.

Then the post got deleted, which is more amusing than anything as it's pretty reflective of how shady the motives are beginning to get as of late. Feedback? Only if it suits us!

If the business side of boards.ie is serving the community and growing that community and making things possible for that community and makes it possible for the online community to have over all a positive effect on people's life's then it may well suit people's altruistic nature to give their time.

Lots of people do it every day for a whole range of endeavours I certainly don't think that boards.ie is exploiting people at all and if it was and I felt that it was then I wouldn't be posting here any more.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

snyper wrote: »
    i was going to suggest Ruu, but i see he has been a mod so may not want such a task.

Ruu was one of the first Admins back in 2005.
    He stepped down after X amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Ruu was one of the first Admins back in 2005.
    He stepped down after X amount of time.

you were my next suggestion...

shows i dont pay much attention to who does what here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Rb wrote: »
    In short, why would anyone work for a business for free? I understand people's want to "give back" to the community, but (imo) it's not the community Boards.ie LTD has on it's mind and in actuality, those who think they're doing something for the "community" are actually just helping the pockets of those behind the place.
    The DSPCA is effectively a business. They need to generate money to keep that business going, and they pay a sizeable number of employees, some of whom are dedicated to generating more revenue for the DSPCA. The people at the top of the organsation are also paid for what they do.

So why would anyone in their right mind volunteer for them?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

seamus wrote: »
    The DSPCA is effectively a business. They need to generate money to keep that business going, and they pay a sizeable number of employees, some of whom are dedicated to generating more revenue for the DSPCA. The people at the top of the organsation are also paid for what they do.

So why would anyone in their right mind volunteer for them?
    Indeed, just like the DSPCA, when I started moderating on Boards.ie, it was to help young animals that have never seen nor heard of a bath :)

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    you were my next suggestion...

shows i dont pay much attention to who does what here :D

I commend you on your observational skillz.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Thaedydal wrote: »
    If the business side of boards.ie is serving the community and growing that community and making things possible for that community and makes it possible for the online community to have over all a positive effect on people's life's then it may well suit people's altruistic nature to give their time.

Lots of people do it every day for a whole range of endeavours I certainly don't think that boards.ie is exploiting people at all and if it was and I felt that it was then I wouldn't be posting here any more.

:eek:Such profundity!!

Can you buy that.??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No but I may be able to make you a profundity potion for 200 gold pieces and if you get for me some of the compents...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I get alot more out of Boards than I put in. That's why I do it.

I would think that's why anyone provides free content to websites.

Now in the case of youtube and the like there's a reward system- star rating, partner status- in the case of bemyfacespacebotagged it's the number of friends/ love given whatever.

In Boards case I have become a member of 2 new and self sustaining communities and I was right there at the start of them.

To me, being a mod on Boards has given me something real and tangible playing WoW wouldn't, and I'm not really pushed if it's a business or not, long as it provides that. Communities I am interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Bring back DJ spyder

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Boston wrote: »
    I would be a terrible administrator.

Don't sell your self short.

Don't sell your self short.

To be fair, he's only being honest

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

CuLT wrote: »
    Indeed, just like the DSPCA, when I started moderating on Boards.ie, it was to help young animals that have never seen nor heard of a bath :)
    You modded LC too? :D

/ducks the flying pencilcases

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

fink goddie.
    jackass
    ruggiebear
    abigayle

Think this thread is done, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

no leave it open! Sticky it! :p

tbh wrote: »
    no leave it open! Sticky it! :p

Have you seen some of the suggestions!? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Have you seen some of the suggestions!? :eek:

I stopped reading after the OP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Thaedydal wrote: »

:eek:Such profundity!!

Can you buy that.??
    Only on boards. :P

Im going to have to agree with Beruthiel, im closing this thread.

Its ran its course.

Checklist.
    • Accusations based on no evidence.
    • Handful of posters backing up said accusations
    • Admin scratching heads
    • More accusations, now with even more creativity.
    • Admin reply
    • A generous mix of "Yes you did, v's no i didnt"
    • Phasers' 1 word thread reply
    • Admin composes an official response
    • Disapperance of grounds for accusation
    • Temptation for lolcats

**Thread closed**

Dam, admin button broken again :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Q.E.D, Snyper

This discussion has been closed.