Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Mary 2 Coming to Cobh - Wed 21st Oct

Options
  • 16-10-2009 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

The Queen Mary 2 is due in Cobh this Wednesday the 21st October from around 13.00 - 18.00 hrs should be a fantastic sight for anyone able to visit.

From :http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Cunard-Line-Limited-1057001.html

Cunard's flagship Queen Mary 2, the most famous ship in service, will make a special fifth birthday call to Cobh on Wednesday 21 October 2009, as part of a maiden Round-the-British Isles voyage, thus becoming the largest liner ever to visit Ireland. Cunard and Cobh have shared a long and eventful history that dates back to the middle of the 19th Century when emigration from Europe to the United States and Canada began in earnest. Cunard Line celebrates the 170th Anniversary of its founding in 2009 - so this is a double celebration for the company and its flagship.
    The 151,400-ton Queen Mary 2 will arrive in Cobh at 1300 hours and will remain there until 1800 hours.
    Cunard Managing Director Peter Shanks and Commodore Bernard Warner, Master of Queen Mary 2, will take part in a special ceremony at the Lusitania Memorial at 1430 hours. The Cunard liner Lusitania was torpedoed and sunk in 1915 with the loss of 1,119 lives.
    Other ports on the voyage, which departs Southampton on 15 October, include South Queensferry, maiden calls to Greenock and Liverpool and a visit to Cherbourg. Great crowds are expected to welcome Queen Mary 2 at each port.
    Commenting on the visit, Cunard's Managing Director, Peter Shanks, said:
    "In the hundred years from 1848 over six million people emigrated from Ireland to new lives in the New World and of these 2½ million departed from Cobh – many on Cunard vessels - so it is fitting for our flagship Queen Mary 2 to make this call during such a special voyage".
    The voyage commemorates the introduction into service of Queen Mary 2 five years ago in January 2004. Still the largest, longest, tallest, widest, most expensive ocean liner ever built and, since the retirement of QE2, the fastest passenger ship in the world. Queen Mary 2 entered service just four days after being named by Her Majesty The Queen during the most spectacular naming ceremony Southampton, her home port, had ever seen. Since that historic entry into service Queen Mary 2 has sailed almost 750,000 nautical miles, completed over 120 Atlantic crossings (the route for which she was specifically built, the first passenger ship to be built for that trade in 35 years), and made calls to 115 ports in 45 countries.
    Since becoming Cunard flagship in May 2004, taking over the mantle from QE2, Queen Mary 2 has also become one of the most celebrated ships in the world and successfully continues the Cunard passenger liner tradition established 170 years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

It's kinda Ironic,during the time its here I'll miss a little bit of history,when studying for a history exam that's happening the day after.T'was hoping that it would be during the midterm as I love the town when its busy with a ship,but by the time I'm coming home from the train I'll have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Seloth wrote: »
    It's kinda Ironic,during the time its here I'll miss a little bit of history,when studying for a history exam that's happening the day after.T'was hoping that it would be during the midterm as I love the town when its busy with a ship,but by the time I'm coming home from the train I'll have missed it.

Bunk off, you won't remember the history yoke in twenty years, but you will remember the QM

Not if its for the Leaving Cert :P.

I'm gonna finish early anyway and do the work at home so should get a nice peak from the train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

The Queen Mary 2? in Cork? the rebel county:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Just came back from seeing it there,Tis nice ole ship :pac:

Any one get any shots of her? Didn't have the time to go see her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 garboard

I see the Irish boating mag has shots of her:

http://www.afloat.ie/

World's Largest Liner Docks in Cork

The Cunard Line Queen Mary II, the world's largest liner, arriving off Roches Point. Photo: Bob Bateman...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

The Queen Mary 2? in Cork? the rebel county:rolleyes:

If you know why it is called the Rebel county it makes perfect sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Tony H

Any one get any shots of her? Didn't have the time to go see her.

Here's one I took .

1294097%20target=_blank%3E17BB5601F8834CF5B1B756DDEA163F8A-800.jpg
    17BB5601F8834CF5B1B756DDEA163F8A-800.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks.

MC

Advertisement