Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I get the restrictor taken off?

• 16-10-2009 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

I'm still within my 2 year limit so I knowmy insurance won't actually cover me, but who else has done this and how did you get on? I wanna let that R6 engine scream like it's supposed to!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I had 23months and 1 week left before I took mine out he he.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

I still have to put mine in going to get it done in the next few weeks I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

Depends on how experienced you are... but you have a good chance to get into trouble with an R6 and no restriction. You know what you are getting into, why do you need to be ensured about it by a bunch of anonym people on an internet forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

They do have a nasty habit of falling out. Seems to be a common issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 davori

You do realise that you are asking us if you should void your insurance and licence (in essence) on a public forum... Cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

randomway wrote: »
    you have a good chance to get into trouble with an R6 and no restriction.

It is a R6 engine - not a R6. :P

Not the same amount of power, and in a tourer type bike. :)

I have the same engine CBR600RR in my bike. :D:eek::confused:

Donkey - you won't let it scream like it wants to, you will only let it 'tick over' like you want it to. :rolleyes:

What KTRIC said might just happen to your bike. :)

just take em out and smile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

just don't forget your stabilizers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

i taugh r6 didnt like the restrictor washers,,it always shat them out lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

davori - it's only a question. I dont really give a crap who reads it.

And PC, youll be delighted to learn that I have been driving KamiKazi style for the last few weeks. Let's just hope I don't fall off like he does :P

I'm very comfortable with my bike and I know exactly how it feels, I just want some more power to let rip when the need takes me. It's all well and good in the low revs, but heres the think, the new Fazer really takes on a life of it's own after 6000 revs and thats where the restrictor begins to dampen the power.

I spent 300 on the restrictor, but hey, it might just fall out...

• Advertisement

And PC, youll be delighted to learn that I have been driving KamiKazi style for the last few weeks. Let's just hope I don't fall off like he does :P

Oi! totally uncalled for :pac:
    I'm very comfortable with my bike and I know exactly how it feels, I just want some more power to let rip when the need takes me. It's all well and good in the low revs, but heres the think, the new Fazer really takes on a life of it's own after 6000 revs and thats where the restrictor begins to dampen the power.

I don't even know how you lasted so long with the restrictor TBH, I'm already bored of my bike :P

No, you paid €300 on a certificate - the actual restrictor costs fvck all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

Where did you get it restricted as a matter of interest?

It was restricted upon purchase from bikeworld and still is. Was supposed to be ordered in restricted, but issues happened and I had to pay. In a way it's good as a friend of mine was quoted 800 to get an 08 GSXR600 unrestricted that was done in the factory as it affected the electronics.

So my bike is still restricted. After market restricted. We'll see if it falls off, fcuk the begrudgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

Where did you get it restricted as a matter of interest?

Just dropping off my FZ6 tonight to get it restricted here - you need to supply all bike details (reg, frame etc) beforehand to Tom as the cert is issued to a specific bike TQS Racing Give him a shout or drop an email for details

traco wrote: »
    Just dropping off my FZ6 tonight to get it restricted here - you need to supply all bike details (reg, frame etc) beforehand to Tom as the cert is issued to a specific bike TQS Racing Give him a shout or drop an email for details

Tried him a few times on the phone but no joy :(

Tom was away this morning - only back now as I just dropped the bike off in the last hour. Send an email with your mobile and he'll get back to you.

I imagine he gets fed up trying to work and answer the phone - I know he's working on mine at the moment so don't be distracting him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Tried him a few times on the phone but no joy :(

Keep trying :D:D:cool:

goodlad wrote: »
    Keep trying :D:D:cool:

Just sent him an email!!

Bloody so hard to get a bike restricted in Dublin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

traco wrote: »

jeez that place looks good.

Did they do it while you waited traco? What kinda timeframe?

Would be handy to be able to drop in on a Saturday afternoon is all.....

christ man. Take it out. You wouldnt want to damage something you paid that much for.

• Advertisement

jeez that place looks good.

Did they do it while you waited traco? What kinda timeframe?

Would be handy to be able to drop in on a Saturday afternoon is all.....

Took about a week of so to get the kit delivered after it was ordered. Only took about an hour to fit but think that it could vary for different models.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

Picked up an SV650S during the week, with every intention of restricting it.

I collected it in Tipp on the way to Shannon and consequently have quite a few miles done under the belt full power.

I could live with losin the top end of things but it'll hurt missin out on the torque. Funny thing is I felt a lot safer with the full power. Wasn't tempted to do ridicuously stupid stuff but was good to have the extra bite to get where you needed to be on the road.

Will grudgingly castrate the bike, if only to cover myself insurance-wise, but Ireland could defo do with a UK system where you can bypass the 2 year resriction via a specific course.

Presumably in such a scenario the waitin list would be close on two years anyways, but that's a different kettle of hypothetical fish....

SV650, nice. It really was time to get a new bike anyway! lol

We gotta get out for a spin and I have to see this new bike of yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I'm still within my 2 year limit so I knowmy insurance won't actually cover me, but who else has done this and how did you get on? I wanna let that R6 engine scream like it's supposed to!

LEAVE THE RESTRICTOR IN!

You don't have the skills to ride a full power bike, yet

I rode with restrictor for over two years, and it saved me on one occasion.

Learn the art of twisting throttle while restricted and before you know it,
    you'll be riding hyper sports with confidence.

I ride a 918cc FireBlade (complete exhaust system, Dynojet carb kit and K&N air filter) and everything I learned on a restricted bike.
    provides the foundation for fast riding today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

Interesting article on bike restriction from MCN here -

MCN News

Wonder does any of it apply on this side of the water?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Do bikers think it's ok to not be covered by insurance?
    According to this thread I'm thinking yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

tuxy wrote: »
    Do bikers think it's ok to not be covered by insurance?
    According to this thread I'm thinking yes.

Nice generalisation mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Picked up an SV650S during the week, with every intention of restricting it.

Nice - welcome to the V-Twin club.
    Is it a Pointy or Curvy?

Let me know when you want to upgrade to the SV1000 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Nice generalisation mate!

Fair enough it was, what I should have said was the majority of bikers on this thread.....

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Fair enough it was, what I should have said was the majority of bikers on this thread.....

Well if there was a law that said that new car drivers could have a car no bigger than 1000cc on their provisional and for two years after they pass the test how many people do you really think would abide by it?

Advertisement