Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I get the restrictor taken off?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Well if there was a law that said that new car drivers could have a car no bigger than 1000cc on their provisional and for two years after they pass the test how many people do you really think would abide by it?

Sure all (or the majority) of Learner Car drivers ignore the law stating that they must be accompanied by a fully licensed driver and that they are not allowed on a motorway. So I cannot see them sticking to anything else!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Sure all (or the majority) of Learner Car drivers ignore the law stating that they must be accompanied by a fully licensed driver and that they are not allowed on a motorway. So I cannot see them sticking to anything else!

Yep :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

nereid wrote: »
    Nice - welcome to the V-Twin club.
    Is it a Pointy or Curvy?

Let me know when you want to upgrade to the SV1000 :)

Cheers enjoying that V-Twinny goodness alright!

it's a curvy-might take a rain check on the SV1000 for a little while-still gettin to grips with my 650! ;)

SV650, nice. It really was time to get a new bike anyway! lol

We gotta get out for a spin and I have to see this new bike of yours.

Cheers Donkey, yeah was high time alright!

You have a girl for a sig. That's slightly misleading.... (but only slightly!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

it's a curvy

cool.

Presume you know http://forums.sv650.org/ ? great resource.

The curvys are nice but the natural progression is to a TL1000, which ain't for the faint hearted!

• Advertisement

nereid wrote: »
    cool.

Presume you know http://forums.sv650.org/ ? great resource.

The curvys are nice but the natural progression is to a TL1000, which ain't for the faint hearted!

Sweet! Will check it out.

haha that's a pretty intimidating natural progression!

haha that's a pretty intimidating natural progression!

That's okay. They are a beast that can be tamed. It's just the alter ego you have to be aware of that is all. Absolute cracker of a bike.

Enjoy the 650 though. And when you start considering the Gixxer front end give us a shout!

Check out how to clean your bike properly here n.cat!

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=137997

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes but this does not void their insurance. So are you are a biker that advocates driving on public roads with no insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes but this does not void their insurance. So are you are a biker that advocates driving on public roads with no insurance?

Christ man, are you just looking to stir up ****?
    Your two posts in this thread havent even been on the topic of the thread.

If you want to discuss bikers and insurance then make a new thread or piss off annoying people.

Anyways.... I been out on my bandit a good bit recently, despite the weather!
    I couldn't imagine taking the restriction off, i think the extra power would make me too nervous. Although in saying that i dont have much experience yet driving a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Chill out lads would you. Play nice.

There was a thread on this a few months back, I'll try to dig it out. Basically someone said that the rules would never really stand up in court and there has never been an actual conviction for this in Ireland.

If you have just bought a big bike I'd definitely advice giving it at least 3 maybe 6 months with the restrictor in. Honestly for most driving you can be plenty fast with a 33bhp bike and leave cars for dead when you need to. Mine is only a throttle restriction so I can take in and out in 30 seconds. For my drive to work etc it makes very little difference really, you don't really need to much more power than that. If you are on a spin in Wicklow though its a different matter - or a long trip on a motorway, that sucks with a restricter.

At first when I took mine out, I got stopped by the cops. They questioned if it was restricted, I proclaimed it was and I could prove it with a cert. They even started the bike and revved the nuts out of it - and said ' there is no way that is restricted' but he let me go and asked me to produce my insurance and restriction cert. I produced my insurance but not the cert, and never heard anything back. Really most do not care, but I'm sure the odd one could be sticky on it.

The real problem comes if you have a crash and someone is injured and its your fault, then you could really be in the sh1ts - so make sure to take that into consideration.

tuxy wrote: »

We could banter this back and forth all day. I could say what about the people who modify their cars and don't inform their insurance companies of the changes! They are voiding their policies.

I could say that I don't care what they are up to as it does not affect me, but in fact it could as I could be involved in a crash with one of these car/bike drivers who have voided policies. All I know is that my house is in order :)

Answer to your question is No BTW ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

We could banter this back and forth all day. I could say what about the people who modify their cars and don't inform their insurance companies of the changes! They are voiding their policies.

True, I was just pointing out the attitude of people on this forum.
    If I went on the motors forum and asked should I void my insurance by modding my car I would be called a muppet for even considering it. But here the attitude is the opposite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Zascar wrote: »
    At first when I took mine out, I got stopped by the cops. They questioned if it was restricted, I proclaimed it was and I could prove it with a cert. They even started the bike and revved the nuts out of it - and said ' there is no way that is restricted' but he let me go and asked me to produce my insurance and restriction cert. I produced my insurance but not the cert, and never heard anything back. Really most do not care, but I'm sure the odd one could be sticky on it.

According to this article the onus is on you to have your bike restricted and on your insurance company to prove it isn't. Which would mean if they want to refuse to pay out on the grounds of an unrestricted they would have to your bike dyno'd to measure the power output. But then you've the whole argument of if the accident was big enough to warrant this it may have interfered with the operation of the bike / restrictors so it's not a valid measure anyway.

I dunno :rolleyes:

Boo hiss to all this. I thought I had nicely diverted this thread onto how we can modify n.catenthusiast's new SV into a SRAD/SV combo...

Advertisement