Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Project LC 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Geard

Yea que 1 as well
    wat comes up in que 1. Have been tryin to narrow it down as to what will come up.
    Factor of safety
    PVC's
    etc.
    Anything else.?!!

Tpes of bonding

how to make items eg. spanner (drop forging),

Polymers,elastomers,
    primary vs secondary bonding

Thats off the top of my head.... Get exam papers and look through the years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ahern187

stil having trouble getting folio together any suggestions or links that can help

stil having trouble getting folio together any suggestions or links that can help

What do you have done??

have the brief (page and half )
    starting the investigation of solutions

:confused:

• Advertisement

have the brief (page and half )
    starting the investigation of solutions

confused.gif

Oh man!! Slack!!!

i no:( im really behind , been focusing on finishing project and preparing for my practical tomorrow , completely lost any suggestions :confused:

Get someone you know from last years class's breif and you should get a guideline from that.

i have tried but they have gotten rid of em

Anyone do the day test yet????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Richardce

If anyone did the day test already, any rough drawings(using paint on your computer) or descriptions would be well appreciated. I have mine on wednesday and I am kinda nervous about it. Is it easy to get done in the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skykes

None of my class got all the material fully prepared beforehand, Teacher was out+ a lot. How ****ed are we?

Ya did mine today , it ends up looking like a heddge clippers kinda thing , u cut teeth out of 1 side of the perspex and brass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I'll do up a sketch of what I can remember... It's quite simple but time consuming. I was pushing well past the time we were supposed to be given, but I'm a slow worker, it was only me and 2 other out of 22 in the class that went over the time. <snip - could have been used to ID me!>

<snip - moved drawings forward>

Does anyone have any tips for the daytest??????

look at sheet carefully , use shee to line up marks as it is 1:1 scale , drill , file , then use sheet to make sure there on the right track

howd did ya get on , i tought it was ok but was a bit caught for time

Keep calm about it, you should have plenty of time as long as you don't make any catastrophic mistakes.

You will probably need to file some pieces down past the proper dimension, for example the circle part on the brass piece and the curve in the steel pieces (see my sketches) didn't fit for most of my class till they had filed the well past the original mark-out.

If your school is like mine and there are a few good tools and loads of crappy ones, you'd want to jump on the good ones the second they're taken out, there was a mad rush for them at my school today anyway.

DON'T GIVE YOUR PIECES TO ANYONE, FOR ANY REASON. Unless they're a good friend, that is. One or two of the fellas in my class had pieces nicked by someone because they gave their piece for someone to draw/trace around, and it got passed around the class until no-one knew who had it.

That's about it really.

EDIT: Here are the sketches. I can remember a lot of dimensions but I'm not giving them out, firstly because I'd probably be liable to legal action and secondly because I don't want you guys cheating. After all, I am competing with you guys for points :P

brasspiece.jpg
    plasticpiece.jpg
    steelpiecewithconstructions-1.jpg
    actualsteelpiece.jpg

If any of you mods have a problem with this, I won't object to these being taken down at all. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I had me praticsl today. Toughest work in my life I finished it but my brass piece was fuked.
    It moved okay.

QUOTE=Amira Quaint Voter;65820970]Keep calm about it, you should have plenty of time as long as you don't make any catastrophic mistakes.

You will probably need to file some pieces down past the proper dimension, for example the circle part on the brass piece and the curve in the steel pieces (see my sketches) didn't fit for most of my class till they had filed the well past the original mark-out.

If your school is like mine and there are a few good tools and loads of crappy ones, you'd want to jump on the good ones the second they're taken out, there was a mad rush for them at my school today anyway.

DON'T GIVE YOUR PIECES TO ANYONE, FOR ANY REASON. Unless they're a good friend, that is. One or two of the fellas in my class had pieces nicked by someone because they gave their piece for someone to draw/trace around, and it got passed around the class until no-one knew who had it.

That's about it really.

EDIT: Here are the sketches. I can remember a lot of dimensions but I'm not giving them out, firstly because I'd probably be liable to legal action and secondly because I don't want you guys cheating. After all, I am competing with you guys for points :P

[IMG]http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k345/Amira Quaint Voter/brasspiece.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k345/Amira Quaint Voter/plasticpiece.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k345/Amira Quaint Voter/steelpiecewithconstructions-1.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k345/Amira Quaint Voter/actualsteelpiece.jpg[/IMG]

If any of you mods have a problem with this, I won't object to these being taken down at all. :D[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭jigsaw 1

Had mine last week. Thought it was handy. Had an hour to left at the end to get everything clean and smooth

• Advertisement

Done it today...Went fine had 40 mins left to get everything polished. Moved well.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

any ideas for question 1 b on the paper??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 barry_boi

golf_boy wrote: »
    Ive used these headings in mine,should i be ok?:

analysis of brief
    research
    spec
    possible solutions
    final solution
    work drawing
    testing and evaluation

can anyone post up a good report so i can see what i might be missing. our teacher is fairly useless and i want to do it right but dont know if im on the right track

what are we to write up for the testing and evaluation?? im pretty ok for the evaluation but the testing bit has me scratching my head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

barry_boi wrote: »
    what are we to write up for the testing and evaluation?? im pretty ok for the evaluation but the testing bit has me scratching my head :(

Are you not finished by now ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

barry_boi wrote: »

Does it work? Does it work perfectly? Is there something you have to do to make it work?

And seriously, hurry up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 barry_boi

UnionOfV wrote: »
    Does it work? Does it work perfectly? Is there something you have to do to make it work?

And seriously, hurry up!

its all good guys, i had it done i just wasnt sure if it was done properly, i just went on about testing the various aspects of it, wether it works mechanically and how i tested the electronics and what not! all finished now though, cant believe the project is only worth 25% of total marks, after all the work thats put into it like!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭blankguitarist

should be easy enough, once you know the five motions detected by accelerometers, a handful of applications, definition of MEMS, and the diagrams for peizo-electric, hot gas chamber, and capacitance accelerometers!

Guys I have Ben working on my exam papers but I'm stuck on question 2 part b on the higher level papers.

When finding the tensile strength. The formula is maximum load DIVIDED by csa. What is csa? I know I means cross sectional area but how do you find from a load extension diagram.

Exam paper 2006 higher level.
    Im pretty desperate any help would be grateful.

Guys I have Ben working on my exam papers but I'm stuck on question 2 part b on the higher level papers.

When finding the tensile strength. The formula is maximum load DIVIDED by csa. What is csa? I know I means cross sectional area but how do you find from a load extension diagram.

Exam paper 2006 higher level.
    Im pretty desperate any help would be grateful.

You're lucky I was at these today too :P

It gives you the diameter (10mm) above the chart in the papers, and using the area of a circle
    pi X r^2

that's pi X 25.

If the maximum load is 142 kN, the tensil strength is 142kN/25pi. Whatever that works out to be is the answer.

• Advertisement

dude
    the diameter is 10mm by gaug length 60mm.

What do I do with them.

And what's is pi x 25

this is my first year doing enginnering so I have no clue what youre sayin.

QUOTE=Amira Quaint Voter;66266490]You're lucky I was at these today too :P

It gives you the diameter (10mm) above the chart in the papers, and using the area of a circle
    pi X r^2

that's pi X 25.

If the maximum load is 142 kN, the tensil strength is 142kN/25pi. Whatever that works out to be is the answer.[/QUOTE]

Advertisement