Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Project LC 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

LCblogger wrote: »
    Well i finished my design and its uploaded on to my blog if you wanna check it out. :D:D Comment with your opinions and link your own designs if you have em to get some inspiration going.

Nice design!! Do yo mind me asking what you used to drw the project..( where did you get the cog wheel??

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Geard

What kind of mechinisim did you use to lower it??

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

If you're looking for something to draw your project, I used Google SketchUp for mine a couple of years back, it's a little tricky at first but worth getting used to and it's free.

As for the wiring, I spent ages designing mine to do everything all off the one battery and using a couple of DPDT switches, but be careful as an overly complicated and badly designed wire loom can have unforeseen voltage drains e.g. mine had really nice white LEDs as headlights, but when they came on there was hardly any power for the motor and the thing wouldn't move!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LCblogger

Right i have done up the circuit and its available on my blog. Please if you have any questions about my blog comment on my blog as i do not regularly check the boards so i cannot answer your questions. Good luck for now.. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LCblogger

trepasers wrote: »
    Nice design!! Do yo mind me asking what you used to drw the project..( where did you get the cog wheel??

I used Photoshop to draw mine. And the cog wheel i drew myself:D:D. But please keep any questions like this to my blog as i might get in trouble here. :D:D

• Advertisement

LCblogger wrote: »
    I used Photoshop to draw mine. And the cog wheel i drew myself:D:D. But please keep any questions like this to my blog as i might get in trouble here. :D:D

No prop........nice work!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

When you are done make sure to draw up every piece of your project on a program like solidworks and fill in all the details and print them off and slip them into your design portfolio. Trust me, I got an A :p

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DDA Donn

Anyone know where I can get a sample portfolio? (for any project)
    Would be nice to be sure exactly how I'm supposed to write it up and what to put in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Is everyone using Google SketchUp for their project?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Stupid question I know, but can someone tell me what SDST & DPDT switchs do?

Im using a belt to move mine across, but havn't yet figured out how to lower it, so I can really do my circuit till i know my mechanisms.

Anyone care to help??

• Advertisement

DGRulz wrote: »
    Stupid question I know, but can someone tell me what SDST & DPDT switchs do?

Im using a belt to move mine across, but havn't yet figured out how to lower it, so I can really do my circuit till i know my mechanisms.

Anyone care to help??

there able to switch the poles around so that the motor can move in both ways(forward + reverse)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

trepasers wrote: »
    there able to switch the poles around so that the motor can move in both ways(forward + reverse)

Cool. now can anyone tell me if theres such a thing as a switch that will limit how far forward & back it can move??

• Registered Users Posts: 43 villian02

Use a microswitch to limit the movement of the trolley. It has a little arm on a spring that moves and flicks the switch. Set up one at either end of your jib and have the trolley hit it so it stops moving.

@ DAA Donn: Use the headings you are given on the pink sheet of your brief as the headings to put in your folder.

Do NOT use any other headings, (eg. Ones in the junior cert metalwork book for the design process). When the examiner marks your project, he works from the 5 headings on the pink sheet.

Analysis of Brief
    Investigation of Solutions
    Criteria for selection of solution
    Production drawings/Plans
    Testing and Evaluation

Students seem to think that they get marks for a history of the project/article to be made or a section on investigation full of pictures copied from the net. Stick to the headings given on the pink sheet and you will get simple, easy marks when it is being marked.
    Examiners find it much easier to give marks when students stick to the marking scheme given. When students deviate from the marking scheme it much more difficult for the examiner to find the information he is looking for.

And one last thing, do not leave the folder to the last minute!! Do the folder as you go along through the project. Its much easier for the examiner to see your progression through your ideas and it shows through when the folder is done as the project is being made.
    Either way, you should be as far as the production drawings before you start making the project anyway.

Can anyone give me a few ideas on what to do??? What kind of mechinisims etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 al1992

Looks like the bloog is not working anymore...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paraica

the link doesent seem to be working.could you give the link again or send a pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sbgreeks

yea that link aint working.. i only took on engineering in 4th yr so im very lost in this project.! never wired, welded or build anything with metal. having alot of bother designing my crane.!help!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bobsy

i have been thinking about how i am going to design the gantry for the past 2 weeks and i am getting nowhere fast.could someone give me a hand????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 _Music_

Design is coming along! But was wondering how to power the trolley units movements! thinking of a linear actuator! Any body any help please! wat are ye using!
    :)

ConfusedGirl!:(

lc blogger could you post on your blog a sketch of your gantry crane if it is not too much trouble.im in bad need of some ideas and inpiration for this project.thanks

• Advertisement

anyone got any idea on how a rack and pinion mechanism would work:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 0987654321

The brief says "the longest dimension does not exceed 350mm".

dOES THAT MEAN A 350mm x 350mm base is not allowed as the diagonal measurement would exceed 350mm.

If so, the base could only be 247mm x 247mm as diagonal would be 350 mm.

Does anybody have clarification on this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 budman159

It generally means that any linear measurement cannot exceed 350mm, i.e. it must be able to fit in a 350mm cube.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 villian02

350 x 350 base is fine. In all honesty, the marking scheme is set up so that you only actually lose 1 mark for being oversize.

You may lose marks for design and other details in the long run, due to other students being able to make the project in the size restrictions.

So a couple of mm over the size wont matter too much. The examiners will not take out a ruler and measure to check anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

When you are done make sure to draw up every piece of your project on a program like solidworks and fill in all the details and print them off and slip them into your design portfolio. Trust me, I got an A :p

If anyone wants, I can get my portfolio off my old teacher and scan some of it and upload it to the internet for you to look at? Or I might even have it saved as a word file somewhere.

Please Do!!!!!:)

If anyone wants, I can get my portfolio off my old teacher and scan some of it and upload it to the internet for you to look at? Or I might even have it saved as a word file somewhere.
    could you post a simple sketch of a gantry crane.I havn't a clue man. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭kirving

I think if you could make the gantry extend and retract, say out over a ship it would really add to the project.

Use 2 geared motors in the trolley maybe? One for movement and one lift. You could use limit switches on the end of the gantry to prevent it going too far. I'd connect the movable trolley back to the main structure and control it from there. Using coiled wire(phone line even, if it would take the power) would allow the wiring to extend.

"Warning" lights look cool too!

Also, use SolidWorks(I'd reccomend),SolidEdge or Google SketchUp to design it first, easy to get the hang of after a few peices and it will save you a lot of time in the long run. If you do it properly, you can print out your drawing and work off them, so you not messing around in the class. You can design in 3D and get 2D plans and elevations pretty much instantly. CAD drawings will get you more marks too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55496821&postcount=54

I used a "Firgelli PQ-12f" Linear acuator connected to a DPDT switch to raise and lower the crane arm on my project 2 years ago. Worked great but was very difficult to wire as it is primerilly design to be plugged into a circuit board, but there are hold you can put wire through the ribbon.

I bought it myself from here: http://www.robotshop.ca/firgelli-pq-12f-linear-actuator.html Delivered in 2-3 days! Dear, but nothing else would do the job!
    If you do see something you like on the net, your school my be able to order it for you!

There is a lot of other stuff on that site, and sites like it that may come in handy.

If anyone wants any more info, gimme a PM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Da Beirne

villian02 wrote: »
    Ordinary level is a model seaplane. Nice project too.

@ Fixed gantry structure: was wondering does this mean its mounted permanently to the ground or on rails?

All gantry cranes i have looked at are on rails??

Ya i was wondering about this...i have it designed now as just basically a fixed table shape and the trolley unit that picks up the container moves forward and back and side to side within the top of that...should it be like this or the base moving on rails??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

wat mechanise ar ye usein for movin the trolly unit over and back

was thinkin of use of usein a rack and pinone

yes a rack and pinion will work perfectly only
    for the up and down movement
    anyone from dublin 15

Advertisement