Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Project LC 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Can someone advise me on what I should be writing in my report & how much of it I should be writing. My Engineering teacher seems to think we already know & isn't helping us in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

can someone please re-up the portfolio it is down thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Geard

Can someone thouroghly explain traverse motion please????

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

Hey man I haven't started yet still working on the designs
    any Ideas for it going side ways

ye have only started???:eek::eek:

we had the brief before halloween, and told to have a design asap, some ppl in my class,well on the way!!

Hows everyone getting on with there project???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Baz vzr

Nearly finished mine only electrics to do....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

pecker1992 wrote: »
    can someone please re-up the portfolio it is down thanks
    ^^^ Please I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure out what to write!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

has any one any picures of how yours is going??

No pics, but I've got the rails and most of the gantry done. This term I need to get the trolley and the part of the gantry holding the electronics (drill drilll drill!!!). Soooo glad I pick a simple design, just stuck on the portfolio.....

Im using solidworks to draw my project.....just wondering how do you add things like cog wheels and motors??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 kershaw93

you have to draw them sepertly in solidworks

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DDA Donn

I PMed TheCardHolder and got him to email me his portfolio from last year.

I reuploaded it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

thank you so much!!!!

I was thinking of putting my crane on a wood base....I was wondering does it matter the size of the base ??

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3083/3257938369_0f090f4ae1.jpg

I made a gantry type robot to play chess in Uni that was of a similar layout to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 _Music_

Yes the size of the base matters......it cannont exceed 350x350!!:)

_Music_ wrote: »
    Yes the size of the base matters......it cannont exceed 350x350!!:)

I asked the teacher and he said it doesnt matter cause its only the base.....

If it's the base the model sits on, yeah it's grand. If you're trying to attach the model to the base however than it probably counts as part of the model though.

UnionOfV wrote: »
    If it's the base the model sits on, yeah it's grand. If you're trying to attach the model to the base however than it probably counts as part of the model though.

I was thinking of screwing the crane to a circular base......and then have a control panel away from the crane to control it....

trepasers wrote: »
    I was thinking of screwing the crane to a circular base......and then have a control panel away from the crane to control it....
    Well then the base and the model together have to fit within 350x350. I remember one guy who did an upright crane and it was surprisingly stable with only a small base.

Check if you need to have the switches on the gantry, I think you do but I'm not too sure...

• Advertisement

Well then the base and the model together have to fit within 350x350. I remember one guy who did an upright crane and it was surprisingly stable with only a small base.

Check if you need to have the switches on the gantry, I think you do but I'm not too sure...

I was just using the base as I thought it would look a lot nicer with one.....it is stable enough without any base

I was just using the base as I thought it would look a lot nicer with one.....it is stable enough without any base
    Well then don't screw it on. The size restriction doesn't seem to apply to any "scenery" you have around it, so you can place the model on top of a base just don't make it look like the base is part of the model, see what I mean?

Well then don't screw it on. The size restriction doesn't seem to apply to any "scenery" you have around it, so you can place the model on top of a base just don't make it look like the base is part of the model, see what I mean?

Yes I understand thanks for your help.....Just wondering do you get any extra marks for things like ladders and crane cab??

Yes I understand thanks for your help.....Just wondering do you get any extra marks for things like ladders and crane cab??
    I think it's part of the awesomeness mark :-) I wouldn't try it unless you had some spare time and were looking for an A1...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 _Music_

Is anyone finished or nearly finished? Are you happy with how it has turnt out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I amn't doing my LC this year but I'm doing engineering. Is solidworks a must if you want to get an A?

I haven't ever used solidworks and I'm pretty terrible at sketching so does anyone know what's required for an LC project?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I'm not near finished
    I just finished makin the frame considering I only started 3weeks ago
    I'm stuck on makin it move back and forwards
    I thought of using a toothed belt pulley but you can't get them here

For my project the motor will sit on a PVC plastic that's Like the shape of a T upside down.
    Any ideas would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 28 danbo115

I'm not near finished
    I just finished makin the frame considering I only started 3weeks ago
    I'm stuck on makin it move back and forwards
    I thought of using a toothed belt pulley but you can't get them here

For my project the motor will sit on a PVC plastic that's Like the shape of a T upside down.
    Any ideas would be appreciated

Use a ladder chain instead of the toothed belt. or else rack and pinion.

Just finishing off my cab now. Then onto the wireing!!!! Going good so far... wbu???:pac:

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Check if you need to have the switches on the gantry, I think you do but I'm not too sure...[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have my switches on a red piece of pvc that is bent so it can rest on the surface.. just thought that it would look better with it.:pac:

Advertisement