Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Project LC 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bobsy

I know this hasnt got anything to do with the project but does anyone know how to do the tensile strength and youngs modulus calculations on question 2 of the exam paper??????????.my pre is tomorrow.Any feedback would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

danbo115 wrote: »
    Use a ladder chain instead of the toothed belt. or else rack and pinion.

Go with a chain and sprocket mechanism easy to build and get working. Steer well clear of rack and pinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

I can say now that my entire class is going to do terrible in Engineering. We havnt started making our projects yet because, the material hasn't arrived!!! We have the drawing done and some people have the report done as far as they can but no physical project work done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

lol
    ours is the opposite
    we haven't done the report and we av only one week left
    the project can be done in day trust me I did mine in a day
    Im just struglling with the drawing
    anyone from coolmine hartstown castleknock or blakestown

DGRulz wrote: »
    I can say now that my entire class is going to do terrible in Engineering. We havnt started making our projects yet because, the material hasn't arrived!!! We have the drawing done and some people have the report done as far as they can but no physical project work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

...the project can be done in day trust me I did mine in a day
    What's yours, a windscreen wiper attached to a pole with a hook on the end? :pac: I'd be done already if there wasn't a massive qeue for the drills, I think it's going to take the two weeks that's left just to drill the dozen holes I need...

• Advertisement

UnionOfV wrote: »
    a windscreen wiper attached to a pole with a hook on the end.

Why didn't I think of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

when does it have to be finished by??

3 weeks wooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

3 weeks wooo!
    oh lord.....better get a move on:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Geard

3 weeks wooo!

3 weeks it's supposed to be done. BUT the examiners don't come around to examine the projects untill june!!!!!:pac:

• Advertisement

Geard wrote: »
    3 weeks it's supposed to be done. BUT the examiners don't come around to examine the projects untill june!!!!!:pac:
    PHEW! Forgot about that :) Especially since I've got plenty of "optional extras" :D

Im trying to start the report as we speak. Can someone give me help? What sort of headings ect do I talk about?

D any of you have a surplus of a chain and sprocket mechanism in your school. As I am in urgent need of one.
    I'll pay for the postage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 _Music_

Geard wrote: »

Just finishing off my cab now. Then onto the wireing!!!! Going good so far... wbu???:pac:

Kind of around the same place. Except i still have to do the lifting mechanism. Iv the trolley moving and cab almost finished! Just hit a go slow with the up/down movement!! Any ideas?!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭KeithM23

villian02 wrote: »
    Use a microswitch to limit the movement of the trolley. It has a little arm on a spring that moves and flicks the switch. Set up one at either end of your jib and have the trolley hit it so it stops moving.

@ DAA Donn: Use the headings you are given on the pink sheet of your brief as the headings to put in your folder.

Do NOT use any other headings, (eg. Ones in the junior cert metalwork book for the design process). When the examiner marks your project, he works from the 5 headings on the pink sheet.

Analysis of Brief
    Investigation of Solutions
    Criteria for selection of solution
    Production drawings/Plans
    Testing and Evaluation

Students seem to think that they get marks for a history of the project/article to be made or a section on investigation full of pictures copied from the net. Stick to the headings given on the pink sheet and you will get simple, easy marks when it is being marked.
    Examiners find it much easier to give marks when students stick to the marking scheme given. When students deviate from the marking scheme it much more difficult for the examiner to find the information he is looking for.

And one last thing, do not leave the folder to the last minute!! Do the folder as you go along through the project. Its much easier for the examiner to see your progression through your ideas and it shows through when the folder is done as the project is being made.
    Either way, you should be as far as the production drawings before you start making the project anyway.

Wow, just incredible advice - only after finishing the dcg project so gave myself a little break now am gonna try finish of this bad boy.

Sucks that even with the dcg project finished I still have 2 more to do but when I'm done, will feel good to have a few points under the belt even before I put pen to paper.

Ty alot - great advice for anyone wondering about the portfolio like me.

Oh and for those stuck on how to draw their projects you can get a free, I think 90 day trial, of solidworks from this url

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/esp/engineering_stimulus_package.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

D any of you have a surplus of a chain and sprocket mechanism in your school. As I am in urgent need of one.
    I'll pay for the postage.
    Maplin sell them in all their shops afaik.

i went to maplins and they don't have it that's how useless they are. The one they have cost 50e

so I called pears and they have ut it's cost 4e pretty pretty cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skykes

Really really struggling with engineering. Missed a lot of school and started project late due to injury plus family issues. Pretty sure I got less than 15% in the theory pre-leaving cert exam.

So~

Anybody know where I can find the folder/brief marking scheme and guidelines?

Also, if at all possible is there somewhere I can see previous folder/briefs as examples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 golf_boy

Use a microswitch to limit the movement of the trolley. It has a little arm on a spring that moves and flicks the switch. Set up one at either end of your jib and have the trolley hit it so it stops moving.

@ DAA Donn: Use the headings you are given on the pink sheet of your brief as the headings to put in your folder.

Do NOT use any other headings, (eg. Ones in the junior cert metalwork book for the design process). When the examiner marks your project, he works from the 5 headings on the pink sheet.

Analysis of Brief
    Testing and Evaluation

Students seem to think that they get marks for a history of the project/article to be made or a section on investigation full of pictures copied from the net. Stick to the headings given on the pink sheet and you will get simple, easy marks when it is being marked.
    Examiners find it much easier to give marks when students stick to the marking scheme given. When students deviate from the marking scheme it much more difficult for the examiner to find the information he is looking for.

And one last thing, do not leave the folder to the last minute!! Do the folder as you go along through the project. Its much easier for the examiner to see your progression through your ideas and it shows through when the folder is done as the project is being made.
    Either way, you should be as far as the production drawings before you start making the project anyway.

Ive used these headings in mine,should i be ok?:

analysis of brief
    research
    spec
    possible solutions
    final solution
    work drawing
    testing and evaluation

can anyone post up a good report so i can see what i might be missing. our teacher is fairly useless and i want to do it right but dont know if im on the right track

Use the headings you are given on the pink sheet of your brief as the headings to put in your folder.

Analysis of Brief
    Testing and Evaluation

Thanks a lot for that. How much do you have to write for each section?? And is the Analysis of Brief just asking questions about what i think will be need e.g what metal(s) will i have to use??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭KeithM23

Thanks a lot for that. How much do you have to write for each section?? And is the Analysis of Brief just asking questions about what i think will be need e.g what metal(s) will i have to use??

It's just your interpretation of the brief, basically just give them back the brief in your own words just to show that you read it and understood it I guess.

I am doing mine in A3 and got in a comfortable page for analysis of brief I think 4-6 pages will do for investigation of solutions maybe 2-3 for criteria another 2-3 on drawings/plans and again 2-3 on testing and evaluating., - don't take up whole pages with stupid pictures of course

Don't let that limit you though as long as it's relevant I would say put it in.

If you can justify why you did something in your portfolio you can't really lose marks for it on the actual project can you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Oh mother of Jesus!!! You lot are nearly finished and we're only starting 'cos my asshat teacher wouldnt let us do any practical work until everyone had their drawings done. So basically because there's a few lazy f*ckers in our class the rest of us are stuffed. Most of us (including me) still dont even have the drawings done because they wont let us use solidworks in the school and refuse to give us the disk/codes. I'm only making progress now because i managed to "obtain" solidworks elsewhere.

Does anyone have the up/down mech. sorted out? I was thinking of using a screw mechanism but the big threaded bar sticking out of the crane when it's fully retracted wouldn't look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aerial man

hey. im halfway through de folder and just started the folder. our teacher has just announced it has to be done in a week nd a half!! could someone please send me a model portfolio or something?? it wold be so handy as im fairly lost!! ;( i would be so grateful, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 danbo115

cracked my gearbox in half today. super glue and paint to the rescue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭jam08

it doesn't really have to be done in a week. the teachers just say this now so people will start to work as early as possible instead of leaving it to the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 villian02

golf_boy wrote: »
    Ive used these headings in mine,should i be ok?:

analysis of brief
    research
    spec
    possible solutions
    final solution
    work drawing
    testing and evaluation

can anyone post up a good report so i can see what i might be missing. our teacher is fairly useless and i want to do it right but dont know if im on the right track

This should be ok for the report, just make sure you give reasons for your choice of design, with reasons for and against each of the solutions you came up with.
    KeithM23 wrote: »
    It's just your interpretation of the brief, basically just give them back the brief in your own words just to show that you read it and understood it I guess.

Make sure not to do this as the examiner will not allocate you the marks for that section.

For the analysis of the brief section of the folder it is necessary for the student to break the brief and its requirements up into different parts and show reasoning and thought for different designs, mechanisms or ways of solving the problems encountered.

eg: The model should have a fixed gantry structure

For this requirement the student should research different design available and decide what makes up a "fixed" gantry structure.
    How much do you have to write for each section?? And is the Analysis of Brief just asking questions about what i think will be need e.g what metal(s) will i have to use??

The analysis is as i said above.
    The amount to write or present for each section is based on the the marks allocated to each heading.

Analysis of Brief - 5 marks
    Investigation of Solutions - 10 marks
    Criteria for selection of solution - 5 marks
    Production drawing / plans - 10 marks
    Testing and Evaluation - 5 marks
    Presentation of folio - 5 marks
    jam08 wrote: »
    it doesn't really have to be done in a week. the teachers just say this now so people will start to work as early as possible instead of leaving it to the last minute.

This is an opinion that is right in some senses but not totally correct. All of the hours work that students put into the project is worth a total of
    150 marks.
    If you decide to keep pushing on making the project after the dealine you are getting less marks vs. the amount of time put in.

You must remember that the 6 hour practical test is also worth 150 marks. This is also for 150 marks - the same amount of time you have put in from last October on your project. The pieces for this need to be prepared, as this part of the exam will be held over the 2 weeks after the Easter holidays. You need to use the time after the project deadline for making these.

Hope these help.

Make sure not to do this as the examiner will not allocate you the marks for that section.

For the analysis of the brief section of the folder it is necessary for the student to break the brief and its requirements up into different parts and show reasoning and thought for different designs, mechanisms or ways of solving the problems encountered.

eg: The model should have a fixed gantry structure

For this requirement the student should research different design available and decide what makes up a "fixed" gantry structure.
    Just for clarity, this means defining a fixed gantry structure based on your research of it. More in-depth comments on what sort of structures exist etc etc goes in the R&I part of the Investigation Of Solutions.

Just for clarity, this means defining a fixed gantry structure based on your research of it. More in-depth comments on what sort of structures exist etc etc goes in the R&I part of the Investigation Of Solutions.

Exactly. The analysis section is where you identify the different parts of the brief which you will investigate further and in more detail in the R&I section of the brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kieran--f

I have mine done but i put it on wheels is this illegal o crap its like the one below
    adjustable_height_steel_gantry_crane.jpg
    images%3Fq%3Dgantry%2Bcrane%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1

• Advertisement

kieran--f wrote: »
    I have mine done but i put it on wheels is this illegal o crap its like the one below
    adjustable_height_steel_gantry_crane.jpg
    images%3Fq%3Dgantry%2Bcrane%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1

In my opinion, this wouldnt be illegal or anything like that. It is still a type of gantry crane. As long as you can justify your reasons for choosing it then you will be ok.

Advertisement