Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Project LC 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

Do you have to describe how you made the project??

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Geard

ye

• Registered Users Posts: 43 villian02

With regards to describing how you made it, this would all come under the heading of Production Drawings/Plans.

The reason there is an either / or in this section, is to accomodate students that might not have the drawings skills of students that might have completed the new DCG course for example. Obviously students with a good knowledge of drawing and Solidworks would have quite an advantage so if you feel your drawings may not be up to scratch, it would be no harm to write a description of how it was made.
    REMEMBER: The examiner should be able to make your project from your drawings. Now, not every little detail is expected, but at least include major dimensions and include most if not all of the parts.
    The examiner will know quite quickly if the student has not included major parts of the project.

Does anyone have any pics of their gantry they want to post??

• Registered Users Posts: 28 danbo115

Geard wrote: »
    Does anyone have any pics of their gantry they want to post??

Throwing mine up, might get other people to put up theirs. This is half way through which i took a while back and not my finished project. It hasn't got the gearbox or any of the wiring done in it but I'm not going to post that yet.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9607/dscf5851s.jpg

• Advertisement

danbo115 wrote: »
    Throwing mine up, might get other people to put up theirs. This is half way through which i took a while back and not my finished project. It hasn't got the gearbox or any of the wiring done in it but I'm not going to post that yet.

Your crane is looking savage !!!

I am making my crane from box iron, and then welding .....As you know filing a weld is not a great option.....just wondering do they mind if you use grinders??

trepasers wrote: »
    I am making my crane from box iron, and then welding .....As you know filing a weld is not a great option.....just wondering do they mind if you use grinders??

thanks and grind away i'd say. what welder you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

its lookin good mate

thanks and grind away i'd say. what welder you using?

We are using a mig welder.....Dont even ask me the make....you no schools ....buying cheap chineese things....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

trepasers wrote: »
    We are using a mig welder.....Dont even ask me the make....you no schools ....buying cheap chineese things....:rolleyes:

haha ya lidles finest. then claiming its the best ha. though mig should be easy enough to use? if there's holes just grind it down and weld up the holes. then grind flat again. Cheak for cracks. and paint? won't be as strong a weld by grinding it down but its not going to be under any pressure?

used to using a MMA welder aswell so used to holes ha

haha ya lidles finest. then claiming its the best ha. though mig should be easy enough to use? if there's holes just grind it down and weld up the holes. then grind flat again. Cheak for cracks. and paint? won't be as strong a weld by grinding it down but its not going to be under any pressure?

used to using a MMA welder aswell so used to holes ha

haha.....your telling me....all the knobs on it to adjust the different settings are in some foreign language,which can be very handy when your in a rush:rolleyes:
    In all fairness though the MIG is simple enough to use and it gives a clean weld....Ya used it to weld a 1mm steel box for my trolley the last day....burnt a few holes but nothing major:)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skykes

Did not get to complete my project(today was the last day). Teacher had no switches left so I could not wire. How screwed am I ?

Anybody know where I can find a guide on how to do the brief? Perhaps an example brief or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

man, dont worry about it. they're not going to be marked for ages, and i bet you your teacher will let you finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Because of lack of material we still havnt started ours yet :(

Our teacher is a really "by the books" guy. He thinks that first thing monday and for every class after an inspector will come and fire him if we are still working >_>

I was hoping to get the brief done this weekend. Seriously need help :D

Got all my wiring done today, just have to mount the moters to my cab and thats me.

For the brief our teacher gave us out a single A4 Sheet as instructions.

Page 1 - Exam number
    Page 2 - Title
    Page 3 - introduction, specifications, time given.
    Page 4 - Analysis

He then said we should stretch that across 15-20 pages(for HL).

What am I supposed to write for Introduction, specifications, analysis and Title?

a few pages back someone posted a link to their folio from last year, im finding it very handy as a template, would reccomend using it!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 villian02

Skykes wrote: »
    For the brief our teacher gave us out a single A4 Sheet as instructions.

Page 1 - Exam number
    Page 2 - Title
    Page 3 - introduction, specifications, time given.
    Page 4 - Analysis

He then said we should stretch that across 15-20 pages(for HL).

What am I supposed to write for Introduction, specifications, analysis and Title?

The only heading you should be using are those given on the pink sheet with the brief on it. They are given with the amount of marks allocated to each. Use the marks as a guide for the amount of material needed in each section.
    eg. The sections with 5 marks should be roughly half the length of the 10 mark sections.

This is what i posted earlier in the thread; it has all the relevant data:
    villian02 wrote: »
    Use a microswitch to limit the movement of the trolley. It has a little arm on a spring that moves and flicks the switch. Set up one at either end of your jib and have the trolley hit it so it stops moving.

@ DAA Donn: Use the headings you are given on the pink sheet of your brief as the headings to put in your folder.

Do NOT use any other headings, (eg. Ones in the junior cert metalwork book for the design process). When the examiner marks your project, he works from the 5 headings on the pink sheet.

Analysis of Brief
    Investigation of Solutions
    Criteria for selection of solution
    Production drawings/Plans
    Testing and Evaluation

Students seem to think that they get marks for a history of the project/article to be made or a section on investigation full of pictures copied from the net. Stick to the headings given on the pink sheet and you will get simple, easy marks when it is being marked.
    Examiners find it much easier to give marks when students stick to the marking scheme given. When students deviate from the marking scheme it much more difficult for the examiner to find the information he is looking for.

And one last thing, do not leave the folder to the last minute!! Do the folder as you go along through the project. Its much easier for the examiner to see your progression through your ideas and it shows through when the folder is done as the project is being made.
    Either way, you should be as far as the production drawings before you start making the project anyway.

• Advertisement

a few pages back someone posted a link to their folio from last year, im finding it very handy as a template, would reccomend using it!

Yeah I saw that, the link he gave is dead. I sent him a PM.

well if he doesnt reply pm me your email and ill send it on :D

EDIT: disregard my last, here it is: http://www.filefactory.com/file/b088057/n/Leaving_Certificate_Engineering_2009.docx

Thanks mate!

Anyone finished or near finished??

Not me. Teacher says when the parts get in I will get a lunchtime at his convince to wire it all. Rest of my class is finished.

Edit:

The teacher is pretty adamant about us having 3 photos of working gantries from magazines or whatever, says we should describe their size, lifting cap(general info about them). It is not a big deal to get that info and put it into my (currently 7 a4 page) portfolio. But I would rather not have useless information if possible. Can anybody confirm if marks are awarded for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aerial man

Skykes wrote: »
    Our teacher is a really "by the books" guy. He thinks that first thing monday and for every class after an inspector will come and fire him if we are still working >_>

I was hoping to get the brief done this weekend. Seriously need help :D

unfortunately for us we actually DO have an inspector, the first ever to the school about engineering, and our deadline this year has no room for movement! :(
    im currently trying to get the folder done for thursday, not sure what to do. ive never seen an example

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tehPOK

Finished my crane two weeks ago, and brief is done too, bout 50 pages... such a relief... construction one is next :(

Anyone have ideas for me to put down for the investigation???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

tehPOK wrote: »
    Finished my crane two weeks ago, and brief is done too, bout 50 pages... such a relief... construction one is next :(
    50 pages for the brief is the examiner goin to read it
    mine not up to 15 yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Pirlo21

Hey i finished mine yesterday!..Its so different from everything!The main thing is that it meets all the requirements!
    http://www.bebo.com/c/photos/view?MemberId=602593980&PhotoAlbumId=12345180430&PhotoId=12345201020

Advertisement