Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Project LC 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

guys on friday i have to submit my project
    its not able to move left to right because the chains are flexible enough. its made of plastic.
    buts its able to move up and down

its capable to moving left and right with the appropiate chain and sprocket mechanism.

mine has wheels but my teacher said it wasnt appropiate

in the next few days i will try and incorrpate an electromagnet feature to get more marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Geard

Our teacher is letting us take our project home for 2 weeks this friday for the holidays... He wants us to have it done,finished,finito when we come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 budman159

Well that's breaking the most inportant rule, that all work must be done in supervised class time, it's one thing goin over the deadline, but takin it home, you're just setting yourself up to get caught. If you do, goodbye engineering grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

Personally I don't have a problem with people doing sanding, soldering etc over the weekend before the deadline, but jesus picking the one large holiday before the deadline where the examiners will be descending on the schools in droves is suicide! You do realize if they make a trip to your school and find your project missing you fail the project and loose 25% off your overall engineering mark?

Aside, anyone have any ideas on how to make a base for my project? I was thinking a sheet of plywood + paint...

budman159 wrote: »
    Well that's breaking the most inportant rule, that all work must be done in supervised class time, it's one thing goin over the deadline, but takin it home, you're just setting yourself up to get caught. If you do, goodbye engineering grade.

Yes I know that but our teacher demanded us to take it home and finish it!!!!

• Advertisement

Is he new? Usually they don't risk it after the first time they're caught...

UnionOfV wrote: »
    Is he new? Usually they don't risk it after the first time they're caught...

Naw he's been teaching it for years he's in his early 40's. A very very good teacher. He's been letting students take their projects home for a few years now. One of the boys in my class's dad has a factory and made the WHOLE thing there and brought it in one day and our teacher didn't say anything!!! The whole class was in shock.

I'm honestly surprised! If he gets found out ****'s gonna hit the fan!

I'm honestly surprised! If he gets found out ****'s gonna hit the fan!

To be honest he done most of mine!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

then he's daft

the whole class was in shock !!!!!!
    Let it be the other way arround

Tell the lad to make all your projects for the lads in your class and let's see eat your teachers gnna do.

He's so lucky I ain't in your skool

Geard wrote: »
    Naw he's been teaching it for years he's in his early 40's. A very very good teacher. He's been letting students take their projects home for a few years now. One of the boys in my class's dad has a factory and made the WHOLE thing there and brought it in one day and our teacher didn't say anything!!! The whole class was in shock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 villian02

Personally I don't have a problem with people doing sanding, soldering etc over the weekend before the deadline, but jesus picking the one large holiday before the deadline where the examiners will be descending on the schools in droves is suicide! You do realize if they make a trip to your school and find your project missing you fail the project and loose 25% off your overall engineering mark?

What examiners will be visiting schools over the Easter holidays?

villian02 wrote: »
    If they have any sense they will be - empty schools are easiest to examine. Last time we had examiners they came over the weekend, unpleasant surprise for the lazy Technology procrastinators.

If they have any sense they will be - empty schools are easiest to examine. Last time we had examiners they came over the weekend, unpleasant surprise for the lazy Technology procrastinators.

Well here is a quick insight into marking. There will be no Engineering, Construction Studies, Technology or DCG examiners in the school over the Easter hols.

1) This is mainly due to the fact that none of these examiners are actually employed yet for this years marking.

2) Empty or full it makes absolutely no difference to an examiner.

3) Examiners would be obliged to send notice of a visit to a school before they arrive as courtesy to the school management as a principal would probably turn them away if he/she felt the need to do so.

4) That and the fact no projects are laid out for an examiner.

5) Oh and dont forget the blue sign in sheet that hasnt been processed by the SEC yet to determine the amount of projects to be marked in each school.

Enjoy a relaxing Easter knowing this. :D

Damn I shouldn't have used the word Examiner since you're right, they don't examine the project. What they do do is check that there's a model and a portfolio assigned to your number waiting for examination. That doesn't mean you can't continue working on it (technically) but if you take it out of the school you run the risk of having it marked absent.

Damn I shouldn't have used the word Examiner since you're right, they don't examine the project. What they do do is check that there's a model and a portfolio assigned to your number waiting for examination. That doesn't mean you can't continue working on it (technically) but if you take it out of the school you run the risk of having it marked absent.

I'm slightly at a loss reading this post, as i think you are referring to somebody coming to the school to check that there is a project and folio being presented for examination.

I can assure you, no person comes to the school to check this. The final person to sign off on work being submitted is the class teacher and then the principal.

The blue sign-in sheets are then sent off and processed.

Please enlighten me if i am incorrect :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

I'm slightly at a loss reading this post, as i think you are referring to somebody coming to the school to check that there is a project and folio being presented for examination.

I can assure you, no person comes to the school to check this. The final person to sign off on work being submitted is the class teacher and then the principal.

The blue sign-in sheets are then sent off and processed.

Please enlighten me if i am incorrect :confused:

You ARE incorrect,I spoke to 2 engineering teachers in the last week whose practical exam was visited,in the past, by DES inspectors.

During the inspections the projects were checked,counted and ensured that they were tagged and in a locked room....their completion wassn't assessed just counted but it does happen

slickmcvic wrote: »
    You ARE incorrect,I spoke to 2 engineering teachers in the last week whose practical exam was visited,in the past, by DES inspectors.

During the inspections the projects were checked,counted and ensured that they were tagged and in a locked room....their completion wassn't assessed just counted but it does happen

Ah i see what you mean now. I was originally commenting saying they wouldn't be checked over the easter holidays:

relating to....
    but jesus picking the one large holiday before the deadline where the examiners will be descending on the schools in droves is suicide! You do realize if they make a trip to your school and find your project missing you fail the project and loose 25% off your overall engineering mark?

You said that DES inspectors visited during Practical exams. This is altogether possible but these exams are held a few weeks after the easter holidays, allowing plenty of time for teachers/ students to have all relevant work in order.
    DES inspectors and SEC examiners are two totally different entities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 x Vinny 14R x

just thought id show off mine..
    im quite happy with the way it turned out, n it works :D

the frame - http://i44.tinypic.com/8x7myu.jpg
    http://i44.tinypic.com/r9g4yr.jpg

finished wiring - http://i39.tinypic.com/qxl5kg.jpg
    http://i39.tinypic.com/2ma72s.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

just thought id show off mine..
    im quite happy with the way it turned out, n it works :D

the frame - http://i44.tinypic.com/8x7myu.jpg
    http://i44.tinypic.com/r9g4yr.jpg

finished wiring - http://i39.tinypic.com/qxl5kg.jpg
    http://i39.tinypic.com/2ma72s.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:
    You've too much power. You're only supposed to use 9v at any time and you have 2 9v batteries hooked up. If the crane can lift/drop the hook and maneuver the trolley unit horizontally at the same time (which it almost certainly can by the looks of things) then you're ignoring part of the brief!

Other than that very nice work :cool:

:eek::eek::eek:
    You've too much power. You're only supposed to use 9v at any time and you have 2 9v batteries hooked up.

Examiners will generally let you away with having 2 9V batteries. Technically its still only 9V you are using so you will be ok. You may lose some marks for the actual function of the project and application of skills section in the marking scheme for not using just one battery. But thats down to the examiner on the day.

One tip: Keep the wiring a little neater. Use small cable ties to keep it neat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I wouldn't chance it personally, seeing as it's only a small bit of extra wiring to hook the one battery up to both motors. If I was marking it and I noticed that he had ignored part of the brief I wouldn't be too happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 carljohnson

Only had the wireing to do and the teacher made me hand it up...should have taken the deadline more seriously!!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Sneak

ffs carl johnson that guy must be some prick.. luckily enough i got mine done aegis ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wheres wally

yer only a pair of eejits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wheres wally

wel lads badly stuck on d portfolio could sum 1 pls send me pts on wat 2 du

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lib23

Thought I would throw mine up there. It operates by a two state motor control circuit. This means when you push the clockwise/anticlockwise push-to-make switches at the front of the base you turn the motor and if it happens to hit either end of the base I have micro switches acting as limit switches attached to either end so the motor will be turned off automatically. Also incorporated a LED to the trolley to show the circuit is in operation when the master toggle switch is switched on.

For the up and down motion I simply used a motor/gearbox combination with the DPDT toggle switch on the trolley with a chain, I dont have the chain in those pics, sorry ha.

The things I regret is the wires being everywhere but nothing I can do about that, also because of dimension restriction my trolley does not have much dowel space to move. Apart from that I feel it suffice's the brief and should be ok :)

Please comment, thanks. ;)

Our class is getting our pieces ready for the day test this past week.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

Lib23 wrote: »
    Thought I would throw mine up there. It operates by a two state motor control circuit. This means when you push the clockwise/anticlockwise push-to-make switches at the front of the base you turn the motor and if it happens to hit either end of the base I have micro switches acting as limit switches attached to either end so the motor will be turned off automatically. Also incorporated a LED to the trolley to show the circuit is in operation when the master toggle switch is switched on.

For the up and down motion I simply used a motor/gearbox combination with the DPDT toggle switch on the trolley with a chain, I dont have the chain in those pics, sorry ha.

The things I regret is the wires being everywhere but nothing I can do about that, also because of dimension restriction my trolley does not have much dowel space to move. Apart from that I feel it suffice's the brief and should be ok :)

Please comment, thanks. ;)

Very nice project......simple but ticks all the boxes !!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

My class is still trying to finish there projects.....not even close:cool: I have mine finished.....I was just wondering will the examiner think I got help with mine as its way above the standard of the others???

• Advertisement

trepasers wrote: »
    My class is still trying to finish there projects.....not even close:cool: I have mine finished.....I was just wondering will the examiner think I got help with mine as its way above the standard of the others???

No:pac:

Advertisement