Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shantalla Movie House - gone!

Options
  • 16-10-2009 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

Home for the weekend and took a stroll down to the Shantalla Movie House to see if anything took my fancy only to find it closed up and all the fixtures and fittings gone from the inside.

Any ideas why it closed?

I'm very disappointed. Granted, the staff were ignorant as fook but they had the best selection of movies and box sets in Galway.

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Christ I never even knew the place existed. A bit pissed off now if it did have such a good selection. How long is it gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I know, they had some great films. Am a bit peeved with them tbh, one of us saw the sign and popped in a day and a half or so before they closed. They were selling the dvds - yer man said they were 'packing the rest of them off by tomorrow evening'. Thing is, we had a load of credits left!:eek: Not millions, but a fair amount. We had to pick and chose from not the best selection against the credits as compensation. They could have rang us, week or 2 notice, given people with credits, loyal customers, first pick, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

They had a closing down sale a few weeks ago in there. Even then I never saw anybody in the place so I presume they shut down because business was very slow? Open to correction.
    I see what was Cooke's on the corner has new tenants, Eastern Europeans running the place now - can't remember the name of the shop. Wonder why Cooke's closed down, they seemed to do a fairly lively trade.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Shame to see it go. It was nice to have a video shop where the selection was decent and esoteric. The were brilliantly eccentric as well; I was taking my time with a selection so I was asked to mind the place while the owner went to Cooke's for a shoulder of Jameson.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I remember eons ago when we did not have a vcr going to that shop and hiring a vcr box for the night and two videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

They were ignorant as f*ck in their but it had a great rental/purchase system (credits) and BY FAR the best selection and organisation in town!

Cooke's shop closed because no one went there, it was too expensive.
    Lived on Mary's last summer. Just ridiculious prices €3.40 for 2lt Coke! wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Shame to see it go, they had a great selection of films and the staff were good too. Unfortunately downloads did for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I'll miss them. I only started using it a few months ago but generally found it's selection to be excellent. They had a decent amount of boxsets as well.

Shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

inisboffin wrote: »
    I know, they had some great films. Am a bit peeved with them tbh, one of us saw the sign and popped in a day and a half or so before they closed. They were selling the dvds - yer man said they were 'packing the rest of them off by tomorrow evening'. Thing is, we had a load of credits left!:eek: Not millions, but a fair amount. We had to pick and chose from not the best selection against the credits as compensation. They could have rang us, week or 2 notice, given people with credits, loyal customers, first pick, no?

Their PC (from the 80s) died around a couple of months ago, they'd no idea who was owed what...

I, personally, will mourn the place going... enjoyed going in there & calling Eric 'Derek' repeatedly while asking him of every second dvd: is this any good? if 'Del' said 'yes', then I'd immediately ask: how many killings?

It got old for him real quick... however, I enjoyed myself... & that's all that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Was a loyal customer and then got treated like crap so never set foot in the place again after that.

The staff were probably the rudest group of staff I have ever seen in any business. They seemed to think that because they had a good selection and knew a bit about arthouse that they could treat the customer like crap and still get the business.

Evidently not.

• Advertisement

kraggy wrote: »
    Was a loyal customer and then got treated like crap so never set foot in the place again after that.

The staff were probably the rudest group of staff I have ever seen in any business. They seemed to think that because they had a good selection and knew a bit about arthouse that they could treat the customer like crap and still get the business.

Evidently not.

I always thought 'Derek' was alright... but they knew kcef all about arthouse. Well, they didn't know so much as to act as if they knew much about it.

Interesting, though, on the service front, they always were okay regarding myself but there seem some genuine complaints out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Surprised to see Cooke's go; it always seemed to do a lively trade.

Surprised to see Cooke's go; it always seemed to do a lively trade.

I think it was more a case of retirement than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Ah man, that sucks. Luckily we were all out of credits in there. Yer man who worked in there was sound enough, but still a little ignorant. Used to smoke right in the doorway so you didn't know whether or not to go in. Place smelled a bit funny too...

Cooke's closed because of retirement I think, didn't it? It did a great business with St. Mary's College and all the houses around. I used to do guitar lessons with Declan Collins around the corner so I used to always pop into Cooke's for a bottle of Coke afterwards :)

Advertisement