Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien vs. Predator 3 - Alien Reveal Trailer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

ordered mine from zavvi.co.uk for 21 euro. It was dispatched Tuesday morning so here's hoping it lands on my mat this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Poor review from eurogamer. I get the feeling it's a totally uneventful and uninspired game wrapped up in the two franchises clothing.

Initial impressions from me are that it's very good. It's a good thing there's no crouch or I'd spend the majority of my time backed into a corner unloading clips into the darkness. Even in DX9 mode, it looks a helluvalot better on the PC than the steam demo, better shadowing and bump mapping.

I've only played a bit of the marines campaign but already it's surpassing the levels of tension and uneasiness of the originals or Deadspace.

My worry, however, is that they are quickly overpowering me with better weapons. It starts off great only having a pistol, but as soon as you get your first real weapon (15 minutes into it), the pulse rifle, the balance instantly shifts into your favor. I've a feeling as the game progresses and I get bigger and more OTT weapons that's it's just going to be a Doom or Quake clone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

That EuroGamer review didnt stir my loins. Just got Mass Effect 1 for half nothing on Ebay so ill stick to that I think. Ill give AvP a go when its going for half nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

It's good. I've only played the Predator campaign so far but am finding dealing with the aliens quite hard. I suppose I'm just not used to the melee combat yet but when there's a group of them they swam me and I end up quite dead quite fast. The humans are just cannon fodder however :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

The Smart gun is ****ing funnnnn :D

only 69.99 for hunter edition in Blanch HMV :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I never listen to EuroGamer !!!
    Probably worth renting and seeing for yourself. I'll be buying it anyways :D

I always like looking at the reviews on Gametrailers myself

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I never listen to EuroGamer !!!
    Probably worth renting and seeing for yourself. I'll be buying it anyways :D

I always like looking at the reviews on Gametrailers myself

Gametrailers scored it pretty well, 7.7

The reviews have been mixed, so i don't see why some people are taking one bad one and claiming that to be the supreme ruling on the game, just as easy to take a good one, and i love it so far, DM won't yield many games but the AvP only modes along with Survivor(Ruins map) are a refreshing change from your normal TDM

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Have to say i'm enjoying it! Finding the Marine missions quite jumpy! Any beep on motion tracking and I let rip!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I going with the rogue trooper idea on this, as a kid i ****ing loved rogue trooper now i love games and a rogue trooper game came out and was very true to the original story. it wasnt great but i enjoyed it mostly for the fanboyism in me and i actually own it :D

AVP is kinda the same but different, the originals are brilliant but very flawed games, but still brilliant even tho in a review context the reviews would encourage most not to buy. Add in the fanboy and i pretty much bought this game the day it was announced or commited to buying it.

Sad but true the fanboy in us all wants something to be good even if its **** we will still buy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Loving it so far. Just played the first missions of each campaign. I wonder what order its intended to be played in? All the way through each campaign or one mission at a time from each? Don't suppose it matters much, not like the story is that hard to follow or anything.

I like the marine missions, good solid FPS, nothing fancy. Not too hot on the alien so far, just finding the controls a tad fiddly. Predator absolutely rocks though.

• Advertisement

That facehugger looks like it's been lazily photoshopped in to me :confused:

Its not photoshopped :mad:
    its the proper thing from the hunter edition

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

From IGN.com

"Aliens vs. Predator could have been a truly great game. It’s there, you can almost feel it, but it’s constantly ripped away from you because of some poor design decisions and a general lack of quality that keeps the game from having that triple-A feeling. It’s by no means a bad game and will almost certainly please fans more so than either movie effort, but when compared to other first-person shooter titles on the market, the difference is clear."

score 7.3

Mediocre. I mean its pretty hard to ****up Aliens v Marine v Predator, theres just so much material there for a great game.. but the point is, why, at this stage, after the prequels, and mods, and multiplayer games, do they still manage to muck it up a fair bit? The review points at the fact that the game is dumbed down a bit for consoles.. sadly maybe its true, I mean I still play an 8 year old game where the melee combat is so excellent it takes years to learn and master, yet here we have a bells and whistles game which misses the mark again.

I wish some guys could just rip all the models and sounds out of this game and port them into half-life 2 or the crysis engine, then we'd have a proper PC version. Oh well, I'll wait a few patches and see if the multiplayer gets any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

The controls are a mess it has to be said, if they'd nailed the controls this could of been an amazing game. Real consolitis feel to them. The mouse movements are spongey and the whole blocking, melee mechanics are rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

L31mr0d wrote: »
    The controls are a mess it has to be said, if they'd nailed the controls this could of been an amazing game. Real consolitis feel to them. The mouse movements are spongey and the whole blocking, melee mechanics are rubbish.
    hey so whats the general idea? i buy most titles and at the mo there are so many coming out i dont know whats going on lol! anyways moneys tight with blazblue etc coming out should i buy this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

marko93 wrote: »
    Its not photoshopped :mad:
    its the proper thing from the hunter edition

Sorry, no I realise that, it's just out of focus and looks weird. And 'shooped!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

L31mr0d wrote: »

I agree completely. I love the movies and I really wanted to like this game but if I'm going to be objective and ignore the lovely sound of the motion tracker and the pulse rifles, as a game its average at best.

The thing that annoys me the most is the feel of the controls. Is it input lag or something, I don't know? You can't even fire your rifle in bursts. Try pressing the left mouse button in quick succession. Nothing happens every 2nd press.

I'm calling fail on this one, I'm afraid. It's a console game. I suspect many will change their minds about it in a few weeks, on reflection.

Now, back to STALKER for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The controls is really only the only gripe I have with the game. Other than that I'm enjoying it so far.

Sorry, no I realise that, it's just out of focus and looks weird. And 'shooped!

Your a tool its not 'Shooped -_-

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Marko93, anymore personal abuse and you'll find yourself on the wrong end of a ban.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Marko93, anymore personal abuse and you'll find yourself on the wrong end of a ban.

Fiiiine, sorry -_-

Holy **** the Marine ending is WHACK! :L

Now Predator or Alien Campaign now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Bare in mind this is just my experience of single player. The Alien and Predator game modes are fine as far as I can see. Actually the Alien is a lot of fun, especially once you turn on automatic transitioning it makes moving onto walls and ceilings very smooth and fluid like. The predator is fun too, very stealthy and tactical. Kind of like Metal Gear, but with more spine removal...and claws to the face.

The problem for me is with the marine part of the game. It just feels too much like a basic common FPS. It still has atmosphere but gone are the gameplay aspects that made the original games such an experience. The aliens are now just generic stock enemies rather than the frightening lethal monsters that you expect. They take way too much ammo to kill. FFS it takes a half a clip to kill one of them. And as Leimrod said the melee and blocking system is very poor, and it becomes reduntant when you're fighting multiple aliens, which is most of the time.

Also the facehugger, what a pathetic fail :rolleyes:

Still I'm gonna stick with it for the time being. I hold out some hope for multiplayer.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Still on the Marine part.

Oh look I have to hack this door open. I'm told it's going to take a while and oh, there's lots of ammo lying around. I wonder what's going to happen next.

And monster closets? Really? 1995 again is it?

It's growing on me slightly but it could have been so much better. Like if Valve made it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maximilian wrote: »
    Still on the Marine part.

Oh look I have to hack this door open. I'm told it's going to take a while and oh, there's lots of ammo lying around. I wonder what's going to happen next.

And monster closets? Really? 1995 again is it?

It's growing on me slightly but it could have been so much better. Like if Valve made it.

In fairness, even Valve are guilty of the "hold out 'til the elevator gets there" tactic. It happened in HL2 : Episode 1 & was just as yawnsome then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

pixelburp wrote: »
    In fairness, even Valve are guilty of the "hold out 'til the elevator gets there" tactic.

And the whole campaign in both L4Deads is basically one massive "wait til the elevator gets here," as well as actually having a load of waiting on elevators too.

On topic, I traded in COD2 for AVP, a choice that sits well with me.
    I'm enjoying it for what it is, and the sound, my god the sound!
    Aliens and pulse rifles on 5.1 turned up to 11. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

The campaign runs

Alien-Marine-Pred.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I loved the first 2 games but iv just played the demo for this and the pc controls for this seem a bit off to me , i will pick this games up when it drops to a decent price too many good games in the next month to pay full whack for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Can someone with the PC version let me know what they think of the multiplayer?

I plan on getting this just for the MP.

I loved 'The Hidden' HL2 mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

What are the controls like for the XBox? Considering getting this once I finish Bioshock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Just want to backup whats been said before regarding PC controls - what is up with them? The last game I played with mouse-lag or whatever it is this bad was Dues Ex - Invis War another ported console game and it ruined it for me. This is doing the same for me again. Only tried the Marine so far but it near impossible - with a mouse - to shoot moving aliens!! I wouldn't mind if it played like a typical FPS rather than its current incarnation.
    Its been uninstalled until they release patch or hopefully some user made mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Turn off vsync to fix mouse lag. Worked for me in the demo anyway.

Advertisement