Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien vs. Predator 3 - Alien Reveal Trailer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Sisko wrote: »
    Turn off vsync to fix mouse lag. Worked for me in the demo anyway.

Would normally have vsync off by default so not sure if it would have sorted it. As a test reduced all graphics to low and settings as thought it may have been actually graphics lag/slowdown but was still there. Seems just like personal issue with the game... will wait a while to reinstall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Hope it works out for you. I was wary of the consolities going into the game and instantly notice iffy mouse movement in the main menu, turned off vsync straight away. And things in the main menu improved a bit. When I got in game it seemed to move fine for me anyway.

Both on XP 32 and win7 64 installs. I've a 9800GTX gpu and Q6600 cpu if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

aliens is on film4 at 12.50 tonight, in like 25 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Just finished Predator campaign, ending was ok and last boss was a pain in the arse tbh. But ending was like the Marines one, i certainly hope Alien doesent end the same -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I was given this as a present yesterday. I've yet to play, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm thinking, for my campaign order, it'll go Marine, Alien, Predator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I've been playing the three campaigns at once. Does completing in sequence really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Creature wrote: »
    I've been playing the three campaigns at once. Does completing in sequence really matter?

Not really all the endings are different-ish well im basing this on Marine and Predator ending, it seems to lead to the same thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

So having spent the weekend with this, my verdicts:

Marine campaign:

Mostly awesome. The atmosphere is perfect, its tense, its scary. The constant blip of the motion tracker really freaks you out as soon as you hear it 'pinging' movement. There werent many set peices, aside from the club i cant think of many, but it was just rollercoaster 'OMFG' moments by and large, culminating with me actually shouting out THEYRE COMIN OUTTA THE GODDAMN WALLS!!! in the hive section
    The only part where it compeltely **** the bed were combat androids, wtf?? They were zero fun to fight against. ****ing rubbish. And the final boss fight. Bloody hell, talk about pathetic. But, aside from those 2 moments, it was a great campaign and one any aliens fan should love.

Predator campaign:

Going from Marine to predator was a head****. Going to stealth mode from all out blasting was a weird switch up and took gettign used to. I failed the opening fight against the aliens so many times i had to restart on normal. The controls felt very fiddly an unintuitive. Not a great start. An hour or two later when you get to grips with it tho, it was great. Stalking marines and ripping aliens faces off, great stuff. Weak boss battle at the end tho, par for the course.

Aliens Campaign:

Only just started this, but aside from the disorientation, it seems great.

Multiplayer:

Survival is amazing. Whish there were more maps tho. Infestation is ****ING FANTASTIC. Genuinely bloody scary too. species team DM, argh, one game as the alien and i felt like puking. Too fast, too disorientating

Overall, i think its an 8/10 for aliens fans, and would probably be a 6 alright if youre not into the films. fortunately, i am Its a shame that rebellion dont have the funds of someone like IW or Bungie, cause you can genuinely see moments of really great graphics, at times it lookgs great and sounds even better, but then it gets let down when see a cut scene of bishop who looks like the worlds creepiest mannequin come to almost-life, or the predator whose movements in cut scenes looks robotic and jerky.

I gave the Marine campaign a go last night. It does a pretty good job of recreating the atmosphere of the second film. I love the way the Aliens move slowly until they've been spotted, then rush towards you. I found myself getting rather paranoid, whipping around whenever the motion tracker started. The part up until you meet the first Alien just great.

Gameplay-wise, I found the controls a bit sluggish (compared to MW2), but I imagine I'll adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Mr. K wrote: »
    Gameplay-wise, I found the controls a bit sluggish (compared to MW2), but I imagine I'll adapt.
    One of the reason's I'll be skipping this. Bad controls are the thing that turns me off most, I can handle poor graphics or a bad story, bad multiplayer but bad controls make me lose all interest in a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

One of the reason's I'll be skipping this. Bad controls are the thing that turns me off most, I can handle poor graphics or a bad story, bad multiplayer but bad controls make me lose all interest in a game.

You can just turn up the sensitivity in the menu. I don't get how sluggish controls is ever an issue for ppl :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You can just turn up the sensitivity in the menu. I don't get how sluggish controls is ever an issue for ppl :confused:
    It's not just that - there's a certain ... stickiness, or feeling of lag, that's coming from the controls in AvP. I turned up the sensitivity, but it's not a complete solution to the issue as the cross-hair still feels like I'm a bit drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's not just that - there's a certain ... stickiness, or feeling of lag, that's coming from the controls in AvP. I turned up the sensitivity, but it's not a complete solution to the issue as the cross-hair still feels like I'm a bit drunk.

Do you mean on PC? Rebellion say they're looking into that: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/53215/Rebellion-Investigating-Aliens-vs-Predator-DirectX-10-11-Stuttering

I've only played it on 360 so can only speak for that, which is kinda what my flippant comment was based upon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Not a question of sensitivity really..

Normal controls have always been fine, from the earliest mouselook games, the controls respond with razor precision, quake, half-life, etc.. the problem is that some console ports aren't coded so well.. so when I play a game like GTA4 or whatever on the PC, it feels like I am playing quake with a 500 ping (awful latency) and massive packetloss.. so unresponsive, sluggish, slow.

Fire up half-life, as fast as you can physically turn the mouse, the game will track that.. the second you respond (0.21 of a second usually) and press the button the game will respond..

Its like that for nearly all PC games

So when a sluggish thing comes along we all notice it and hate it

On a console it would be like playing street fighter whatever and pressing light punch and the console deciding to punch a second later

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Got it for the PC and I'm pretty annoyed.

At times when I'm trying to turn left or right, the game just stutters to complete lag on fps, and its not my machine.

Pretty annoying, so I've just stopped playing it, onto mass efffect.

Was enjoying it though playing as the pred and alien

AVP is confirmed as fastest selling game of the year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm only about halfway through each of the single player campaigns and played a handful of multiplayer games, but I'm not really enjoying this. It feels like it's a mod more than a real release, in that none of the Alien or Predator elements feel like they're part of the game, more like they've been tacked on to an existing one.

I was kind of pissed off how when one of the marines sees you, then they can see you from then on no matter how far a way you are or if you're cloaked or not. I was expecting something like the original game where they'd freak out and be shooting in random directions. I feels a bit cheap. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well Im glad some people are persisting, I can't play this. My criticisms of the drunken mouse were mostly aimed at the multiplayer demo, but I am getting constant "stuttering" during the SP. I tried the suggested fixes in the link above, but it's still a stuttering frame-rate. It's not my rig either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Im still waiting on Play to deliver. Not holding any hope out for tomorrow post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Rebellion boss says the reviews have been good adding:

"If you discount those poor reviews AvP is averaging high for us."

You could say that for a lot of games getting mixed/bad reviews.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/22/rebellion-boss-avp-is-a-critical-success-sequel-in-discussion/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thanks rebellion for that statement of the obvious. If you discount the bad reviews from any game I'm sure it will average highly. Doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Thanks rebellion for that statement of the obvious. If you discount the bad reviews from any game I'm sure it will average highly. Doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Hes only talkign about the 3 very bad reviews from american magazines. and its true, if you remove those low 5 scores, everything else was 7's and up, with one 6 from EG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

yay, got mine in the post this morning.

Hes only talkign about the 3 very bad reviews from american magazines. and its true, if you remove those low 5 scores, everything else was 7's and up, with one 6 from EG

"La! La! La!" Not Listening "La! La! La!" Everythings fine no bad reviews!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's kind of says something that most of the low review scores are from 1up, Giant Bomb, eurogamer, gamespy, gamespot, and destructoid who would be the least likely to get caught up in the 'ZOMG! there's aliens and predators' and give an honest impression imo. 1ups is only so low because they rate games with the same ratings as you'd get in education. AvP got a D which still isn't very good.

I've still yet to play it but I can guess that if you are a fanboy of the films you'll look past how average the game is and get some enjoyment of it.

It's kind of says something that most of the low review scores are from 1up, Giant Bomb, eurogamer, gamespy, gamespot, and destructoid who would be the least likely to get caught up in the 'ZOMG! there's aliens and predators' and give an honest impression imo. 1ups is only so low because they rate games with the same ratings as you'd get in education. AvP got a D which still isn't very good.

I've still yet to play it but I can guess that if you are a fanboy of the films you'll look past how average the game is and get some enjoyment of it.

Funny thing is, Arthur Gies who wrote the review for team xbox and who has been getting a lot of stick for it is actually a huge fanboy of the AvP comics and that universe. He was disappointed with the poor controls and the fact that they wasted an opportunity with the storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The game actually made me go watch all the alien films and the predator ones the other night (even watched the avp ones)

Beyond me how you can take possibly the best concept in gaming and film ,and **** it up

Being a fan does help, the use of the sounds from the movies is particularly good.

However, the gameplay annoys me sometimes. At one point, I started an autohack, then Aliens attacked (as they do when you're waiting, predictably enough). I found myself running backwards down the length of the cave, shooting. When I hit a wall, I dodged past the Aliens and did the same in the opposite direction. It works, but it's really, really boring!

I got it as present, so I'm happy enough. I wouldn't recommend that anyone play full price for it.

If youre a fan of the films it certainly improves things, but theres still fun to be had. Multiplayer is excellent and the single player has some fantastic moments. It may not be the most imaginative title, and its rough around the edges, but thats not to say its a bad game, because it isnt.
    For fans tho, its nigh on essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

whats the damage on the high street?

Advertisement